Notices

RV Road Trip Summer 2015

Aug 3rd, 2014, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

RV Road Trip Summer 2015

We are a family of 3 from the UK who are planning an RV trip along the West Coast of the USA, for approximately3- 4 weeks during July and August 2015. We are unsure where to start; although it will probably be San Francisco. Can anyone recommend a reputable RV hire company in that area? Also, I have read on forums that some areas South are not suitable for RV travel (our likely destination is LA) so should we consider car hire instead?
We are uncertain whether to do a one-way trip via the Grand Canyon or whether to do a full loop back North via the Coast to SF. Not knowing the area at all we are now open to suggestions. Any help or advice would be most welcome. Thanks!
Aug 3rd, 2014, 01:27 PM

>>Also, I have read on forums that some areas South are not suitable for RV travel<<

Not sure what that might mean. No cities are especially good for RVs (Especially SF) so maybe they meant LA and or San Diego.

Hiring an RV can be fun , but it isn't cheap and might not be as convenient as you imagine. Are you experienced w/ RVs/Caravans? Some thoughts to mull over:

• RV rentals are very expensive and especially one-way hires can have huge fees.

• You'll need to pre-book camp sites nearly everywhere at that time of year . . . but ESPECIALLY in scenic bits like Big Sur and Yosemite and the Grand Canyon where you might need to pre-book months ahead.

• Just hiring a car and staying in motels will almost certainly be cheaper than traveling by RV (many budget US motels come w/ full kitchens or kitchenettes so there isn't much benefit to the kitchen in an RV). Plus you'll have a lot more flexibility where you can get to in a normal car.

• In the States, MANY people do travel by RV but if they are planning day trips/a lot of touring they tow a car.

• The most beautiful areas (along the coast and in the mountains) are roads that are very slow by motor home. It is much easier/faster driving these scenic roads in a mid sized saloon.

An RV will be totally useless in SF so you'd not want to collect it til you are leaving the city.
Aug 3rd, 2014, 01:28 PM

Meant to ask - Where in Devon? I've spent several weeks in the area over the years, mostly in South Devon.
Aug 3rd, 2014, 06:25 PM

I'm not sure of all the areas you want to see in the 3-4 weeks but I would do a combination if you want to see the cities and the National Parks of the Southwest. Rent a car for the San Francisco and Los Angeles parts of the trip and then pick up an RV in Las Vegas to do the parks like Grand Canyon, Lake Powell, Bryce and Zion. You can make a loop of those and other parks and return to Las Vegas. As mentioned one way rentals are very expensive but if you do the round trip out and back to Las Vegas it will be better.

We've used Cruise America and my friend has used El Monte RV. Both are large operations in the US. If you decide to do an RV rental from San Francisco, you might want to look into the El Monte RV in Dublin, CA. In the past they pick you up from the airport and drive you about 45 miles east to their rental store so you won't have to drive the RV around the city.

July and August are HOT in Arizona, Utah, Nevada and even California!!!! If you do go the RV route you will want to make campground reservations everywhere you stay to make sure you get a spot.

Utahtea
Aug 4th, 2014, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies guys, gives us something to think about.

Search this Thread