Anchorage and Fairbanks Alaska

Hi,

I'm traveling to Alaska soon and was looking for help on two things:

1) A hotel recommendation for downtown Anchorage Alaska
2) Any suggestions on places to go, things to do in the vacinity of Fairbanks

Thanks!
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 08:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fairbanks is a highlight. A couple of years ago we arranged for a tour at the place we stayed that took us by van up the Dalton Hwy to Coldfoot (north of the artic circle) and by plane to an eskimo village - Anaktuvuk Pass, at the northern edge of Gates of the Artic National Park. It is not an economy trip - but it is the experience of a lifetime.

There are many things to see that can be arranged for after you arrive. Be sure to check out the U of Alaska in Fairbanks, to see the museum and also check to see if the tours of the super computer, artic research lab, and also the missle launch site are operating. These probably are seasonal.
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 09:45 AM

I was in Anchorage in May 2008, and stayed at the Anchorage Hilton. It was nice. Valet Parking a must. It's within walking distance of many shops and restaurants.I would check their website for rates. I got the best prices from their site, versus the normal discount sites.
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 11:04 AM

Fairbanks: Something not too expensive, takes a half-day. We took the Discovery III paddle-wheel-boat tour on the Chena River and thought it was worthwhile. You'll see a replica of a native fishing village and stop at Susan Butcher's sled-dog training camp, with a talk by her husband.

I thought the museum at the U of AK was OK, but like the museums in and around Anchorage better.
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 12:59 PM

Take both the Discovery paddle wheel tour and the El Dorado gold mine tour. Best gold panning I have ever seen.

We loved the U of AK museum and also attended 2 special presentations on campus that day - one on Eskimo games and the other on the Aurora.

The Days Inn, just on the edge of downtown, was reasonable when we were there for the 2003 Iditerod.
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 01:15 PM

Fairbanks and Anchorage were my two "budget" cities when I visited Alaska. In Anchorage I stayed at the Comfort Inn-Ship's Creek, which was in a lovely setting right on a creek and close to the RR tracks. RR was not a problem since the trains don't run at night. There was a nice restaurant nearby.
The hotel itself was surprisingly pleasant, with nice, clean rooms and complimentary fresh baked cookies every afternoon and a complimentary breakfast, and reasonably priced.
Downtown Anchorage was easily walkable from there.

Forgot the name of my hotel in Fairbanks but there was an Information/Ecological Center nearby that was quite interesting.
Old Aug 26th, 2009, 06:52 AM

Request visitor guides www.explorefairbanks.com www.anchorage.net

Fairbanks is loaded with touring opportunities, BUT a car is necessary, in my opinion. Along with the Alaska U museum, the Large Animal Research tour is excellent and so is the Botanical Garden. Creamer's Field is for birders and nice hiking. The Ice Museum is interesting, Public Lands exhibits very good.

I only recommend the fly/van tours for day trips past the Arctic Circle, never the round trip vans- just too long and frankly, this isn't the "scenic" side. A significant portion is burned trees. I've flown all over here, and agree Anaktuvuk Pass is one of the best areas. BUT not with a "tour", superior on the cargo flights with locals.
Old Aug 26th, 2009, 07:43 AM

I have also stayed at the Comfort Inn Ship Creek and found it to be a very good value.

Have you checked out Fodors recommendations? http://tinyurl.com/np9549
Old Aug 30th, 2009, 07:31 PM

We enjoyed the Alaska Native Heritage Center outside Anchorage. Check the times for demonstrations and plan to be there to see the Alaskan athletes. Clearly these skills were developed to maintain top fitness during long months indoors in small spaces. You'll be amazed at what they can do! The artwork, dance and exhibits are also exceptional.
Old Aug 30th, 2009, 08:15 PM

In Anchorage I stayed at the Anchorage Grand Hotel, just above the train station. It's down the hill from the Hilton. It is more like an apartment than a hotel room. It worked out great for me. In Fairbanks, I really enjoyed the Discovery boat. I did the gold panning, It was OK, but a real touristy thing. Try the Alaska Salmon Bake in Fairbanks, the one that is attached to a family amusement kind of park. The salmon was fabulous! http://fairbanks-alaska.com/alaskaland.htm.