Fairbanks - any fans out there?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29th, 2005, 03:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning a 2006 itinerary (described in other threads) and one possibility involves a day and a half in Fairbanks. People seem to either love or hate Fairbanks, so my question is simply this - if you've been there, or indeed lived there, do you think it's worth the trip? My natural inclination when travelling is to think that anywhere is worth 24 hours of my time, but I'd love to hear your views.
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 06:27 AM

Yes, I always make a stop in Fairbanks, but a 1 1/2 day is probably best put somewhere else if you are short on time overall?? Plenty to see and do and to really determine if for you request their visitor guide www.explorefairbanks.com and see what activities are of interest for you?
2006 is a long way off for any firm plans anyway. Continue your overall research and work up a great tour for you.
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 02:48 PM

Here's my take on Fairbanks. Museum is nice, but it doesn't stand out as much as it used to since the Southcentral institutions have improved. I usually try to hit top museums when I'm someplace new, but this one isn't enough (for me) to override other issues (i.e., the long drive/train there).

The attractions -- Chena River rides, Alaskaland, etc -- seem a bit contrived and/or cliched.

This is my personal bias, but topography and outdoor activities are big draws for me in AK. The landscape around Fairbanks is relatively nondescript and the outdoors activities -- hiking, fishing, photography -- are all better in Southcentral, especially the Kenai Peninsula. For example, for many visitors, a day spent in Homer or poking along Turnagain Arm is far superior than one in FBX.

Just my take, but unless you have a two weeks or so, there are better places to explore.
Old Jul 30th, 2005, 03:50 PM

I liked Fairbanks as well as anywhere in Alaska. We visited the museum and went to the two shows at the University - one was on the Aurora and the other was on the Eskimo games. I think the subject matter varies - these were both excellent.

The El DOrado gold mine tour was great. Best gold panning I have ever done. A few panners actually found nuggets. The talk by the two miners (man and woman) was very interesting.

The Riverboat Discovery was also a very good value.

We drove to and from Fairbanks, mostly thru rain, and it was worth every mile.
Old Jul 31st, 2005, 04:10 AM

Fairbanks was my least favorite part of alaska. i wanted to get on to other places quick - 3/4 of a day there was too much IMO. i guess i think of alaska as the outdoors etc. and Fairbanks didn't have any of the "feel" that the rest of my trip had, even my time in anchorage. (sorry Fairbanks fans!)
Old Jul 31st, 2005, 04:41 AM

We enjoyed our 3 day stay in Fairbanks. It is a charming town with lots of flowers. We did two long hikes and one short. There are many more outdoor activities. All you have to do is research beore you go there and once you arrive in Fairbanks you have to go places not just stay in town.
Old Jul 31st, 2005, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everybody for your input. What Repete says here confirms what I've heard elsewhere, so I don't doubt what you say is a correct impression. I think probably we will pass through Fairbanks, we just won't expect it to be "the Great Outdoors". And BudgetQueen, you're quite right, it's way too early to be making definite plans. The back and forth on where to go is part of the fun, though, I have to say.

Thanks again folks.
Old Jul 31st, 2005, 10:13 AM

Bottom line is -- unless weather really spoils things -- it's hard to have a bad trip to AK. Rarely are the choices between bad and good -- usually it's between good and great.