Search

Anchorage 2008

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17th, 2007, 04:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anchorage 2008

We are heading for Anchorage around Sept 14 2008and will spend about 5 days there before boarding a Princess Cruise to the Orient. We have a few concerns as we are senior Aussies but are fit and active. Can anyone recommend accommodation near downtown - maybe B & B? I have tried emailing a few but don't seem to get any answers. What should we do as priorities on a "must see" basis. We are very interested in a trip to Denali - which is the best way to go and how long? How does one get from Anchorage to Whittier on Sept 20 to board the cruise? Thanks Shirl the Girl
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 05:58 AM

Shirl, cannot help you with the B&B, we always spend just one night in Anchorage near the airport and then head out to the GOOD stuff elsewhere in Alaska (hint, hint). Downtown Anchorage is OK for a day or so but 5 days in my opinion is four days too many given all the other things to see in Alaska.

We are very interested in a trip to Denali - which is the best way to go and how long?

You say you arrive "around Sept 14" ... unfortunately most of the tourist amenities are closed by then, partly because there is often too much snow to keep the gravel park road open, partly because many of the workers leave for college or whatever.

If it is at all possible for you to move your cruise up two weeks then the first 10 days or so of Sept in Denali are usually great (that's when we go) but it shuts down quickly after that, sorry. Even one week earlier would put you there at the tail end of the tourist season.

How does one get from Anchorage to Whittier on Sept 20 to board the cruise?

Go to Google.com and type "shuttle anchorage whittier" and you'll find many listings for this service. Here's one that pops up for example ... http://www.whittiershuttle.com/

Have a great trip.

Bill

Old Sep 17th, 2007, 05:49 PM

Skip Whittier, ride the train to Seward and do Kenai Fjords. I would suggest Renown Tours. We enjoyed them July 1 this year. Train ride is FANTASTIC. I am sure whittier would be great also.
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 12:30 AM
Original Poster

We really appreciate your comments. Unfortunately we cannot get Princess Cruises to alter their cruise schedule - they are bigger than us!! And they insist on us embarking in Whittier as that is their port of call. The transportation from Whittier should not be a problem but we are disappointed that we may too late for Denali and Mt McKinley. Shirl
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 05:17 AM

Shirl, although missing Denali might seem like a disappointment it's a long drive. You might consider heading north from Anchorage one day to see Iditarod Museum and Independence Mine in the Wasilla area, only about an hour north of Anchorage. Do other Anchorage area activities. Or go as far north as Talkeetna for a town that doesn't seem to have changed much in the last 100 years. Or on day two head south to Seward for the boat trip (it will be different than your cruise), stop at Girdwood for the tram ride up Alyeska, visit Portage Glacier visitors center. Or leave some of the activities for the return trip. The scenery is spectacular south of Anchorage so it might take you most of the day to do the drive even though it's only about 2 1/2 hours. Even though Anchorage is a large city, there's wildlife nearby. If you can do a short flight seeing trip it would also be great fun. The float planes are on Lake Hood in Anchorage. Quite a site like a huge marina but planes instead of boats. If the public market in Anchorage is still going on Sept 15, don't miss that. It's a great way to try things like reindeer sausage.
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 06:37 AM

we are disappointed that we may too late for Denali and Mt McKinley. Shirl

Shirl, here's the shuttle bus schedule for Denali for 2007 ... May 20 - Sept 14 ... http://www.nps.gov/archive/dena/home.../schedule.html ... a few years ago when we were there around Sept 10 it snowed so much the main road was shut for a couple of days and they quit the shuttle early, so as you can see this is 'end of season'.

It's possible they may be running a couple of days after Sept 14 in 2008 so worth checking at this site later on.

You mentioned doing a Princess Cruise ... here's the link to their Denali Princess lodge, you can see if they are open that late in 2008 and also see if they can book you on a land tour, seeing as how you're doing a cruise with them ... http://www.princesslodges.com/denali_lodge.cfm ... in other words Princess may be able to help you with land tours if you call them (they have lodges in several Alaska resort areas and bundle these with the cruises).

Someone mentioned Talkeetna ... I'd recommend driving up there (part way to Denali) and if the weather is clear then take a flight-seeing trip to Denali, which is a great way to see the Mountain. They will do this even if the park shuttle roads are closed, if the weather allows. You will see the mountain better than you would from land.

Also from Anchorage you may be able to do a fly-out day trip to watch brown bears up close, I think Brooks Camp in Katmai is still open to bear viewing day trips mid-Sept. I will be near by myself, viewing bears in a different part of Katmai Mid-Sept is a great time to go. Here's a site of a company we've used that does day trips out of Anchorage for bears ... http://www.katmailand.com/bear-viewing/index.html

Two weeks earlier would have put you in prime time for Denali but there are still some other things you can do out of Anchorage that are wonderful, if the weather cooperates.

Bill
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 09:19 AM

Shirl--I can highly recommend the Big Bear Bed and Breakfast in Anchorage. We stayed there a few years ago for several days and it was a great place to stay. I chose the place mainly because I saw from the website that one of the owners, Carol, was a retired home economics teacher and that assured me that we'd get some good food for breakfast. Wow--did we ever! We were there several days and never had the same breakfast twice. (I get so tired of cereal, eggs and bacon at most B&B's.) We had exactly the food mentioned on their website: sourdough waffles with berries, reindeer sausage, homemade bear claws, etc.
We were traveling with our school-age children then and we had the family room on the ground floor. It was very nicely decorated with antique furniture and homemade quilts. It had a spa tub too which we loved. The other guestrooms were on the upper floor where the TV/sitting room with fireplace is located. From the photos on the website, these rooms look as nice as ours was. Also, the website says the B&B is only located 2 miles from downtown and you wanted a place close to downtown.
Anyway, here's their website for more info: http://www.alaskaone.com/bigbear/
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 09:23 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
The passenger train to Seward stops service in mid-September (this year on the 17th) so I would recommend making plans for a car-based stay - which is more than okay as mid-late September can be quite spectacular - autumn color, the snow possibly creeping down the mountainsides, and a real sense of energy in the air as people go into their "get ready" mode.

With five days I'd take two or three and drive down the Kenai Peninsula to Homer, one for flightseeing (maybe Denali, or a more local flightseeing trip on a float plane from Lake Hood in Anchorage) and one for relaxing and exploring the city itself - Native Heritage Center, Native Hospital gift shop for native craft souvenirs, some late-season silver salmon for dinner...

The Alaska Railroad will probably lay on a train or two to Whittier for pax boarding the ship, or Princess will have buses available for sure. You might ask your TA about transfers.

Or if time allows, go early to Whittier and take a "26 Glacier" cruise (lasts a couple of hours) before you board the big ship - on your itinerary you won't have too much glacier viewing time.
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

Again Many Thanks - you people have been SOOOOO helpful and we are looking forward to trying several of the trips you mention. I have tried emailing the Big Bear B & B (About three weeks ago and again a couple of weeks ago) but have received no acknowledgement from them. Perhaps it is too soon for them. Ken and I are both retired teachers and I am presently relieving in Home Economics so that is why we chose this one!!! Again thank you all from OZ.
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 05:00 PM

Shirl--You might be right that they don't book so far in advance, but it might be worth it to figure out the time difference and give them a call. I think you'd really like it there. BTW, I lived in Australia from 1999-2002 and I LOVE your country. We go back as often as we can!