Where to Start with Alaska Itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30th, 2005, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be traveling to Alaska in late August and we've just begun to plan this trip. We'll be flying into and out of Anchorage from NY state. I've read a lot of itineraries on this site and although they're very helpful, I feel like I'm on information overload and have a few very specific questions. We want to see Denali, Homer, Seward, and Whittier, but the first question I have is where do we start from Anchorage? Should we head to Denali first and then to the other destinations or should we start with Seward and put Denali at the end of the trip? We also definitely want to flightsee out of Talkeetna. Should we spend one overnight there to do so or can we make it work if we stay closer to Denali? Finally, should we make time for Fairbanks or have we already packed in too many destinations? Our dates are 8/25 through 9/4. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 12:15 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
I would go north first (Denali, Talkeetna) then south (Homer, Seward.) Whittier (for instance 26 Glacier cruise) can be done as an easy daytrip from Anchorage.

You will need an overnight near Denali if you want to go into the park interior on the shuttle. Play the flightseeing at Talkeetna by ear - if the weather is poopy there are better uses for your money (flightseeing around Anchorage, for instance.) Unless your flightseeing budget is huge, you can fit it in with the drive to/from Denali from Anchorage.

With your timeframe, I would leave Fairbanks for another time.
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 12:27 PM

North first is probably a bit more preferable, but it's not a major deal.

Definitely forget Fairbanks on this trip. There are so many more interesting places to see. Trying to squeeze it in has messed up too many trips.
Old May 1st, 2005, 03:46 AM

Why is Whittier on your list? If I only had a week I would drop it from my list. I would do Seward after Denali. A boat cruise would be a nice break after the long drive. Remember, it's a holiday weekend so have reservations. Homer back to Anchorage is about 5 hours but you'll want to make stops if you didn't on the way down.
Old May 1st, 2005, 04:10 AM

I also suggest you skip Fairbanks, you don't have enough time. I too would suggest you head north to Denali park first, and consider going all the way to Wonder Lake. you will need 2 overnights there. Then an overnight in Talkeetna which will allow you more time for flights if you run into cancelations. It's worth a stop there anyway. Then make several stops on the way back to Anchorage- Hatcher Pass, Eklutna Spirit House tours, Eagle River nature center, Musk Ox farm, Wasilla Sled dog museum- etc. . Overnight in Anchoarge. Continue to Seward- 2 over nights, consider the Northwestern Fjords trip, Homer- at least 2 nights- 3 if you decide on one of the fly in bear trips. Consider purchasing a toursaver book. www.toursaver.com
Old May 1st, 2005, 05:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the helpful suggestions. We will definitely leave Fairbanks for another time. The reason Whittier was on our list was to do the 26 glacier tour, which I thought I read departs from Whittier, but we weren't planning to do an overnight there. Thanks again.
Old May 1st, 2005, 05:45 AM
dcespedes

Posha, I'll be in Alaska for the first time in June. Friends of ours who live in Anchorage recommended the glacier tour out of Whittier so we're doing it as a day trip from Anchorage--if interested, I will let you know about our experience.

Old May 1st, 2005, 07:41 AM

For Whittier, get in and out after the glacier trip ASAP. Depressing former secret military town in a stunning setting.

If you want to overnight by the water, hit Seward or Homer.