Amma Restaurant NYC

Dec 28th, 2009, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

Amma Restaurant NYC

Hi

I'll be in NYC Jan 2-5, staying at the Waldorf. Sunday night I'll need a restaurant close to the hotel. I've never had Indian food, and would like to give it a try. Amma is close by. Any thoughts on this place?

Thanks,
Johanna
Dec 28th, 2009, 08:59 AM

I don't think Amma is the best Indian NYC has to offer. For a first try of Indian, I'd suggest you do one of the buffet lunches for a fixed price served at most Indian restaurants in NYC. It's an opportunity to try a lot of different things at one sitting. Otherwise, if you order wrong at dinner, you could decide Indian is not to your liking and not give it a fair chance. I like the buffet at Utsav in the theater district. Darbar Grill on east 55th st. near the Waldorf would also be a decent lunch buffet option.

For dinner on Sunday night near the hotel, there are lots of other options from Japanese to Chinese to Italian to pubs. What else strikes your fancy?
Dec 28th, 2009, 09:27 AM

There is a wonderful and cheap Indian restauranr called Saravanaas. Devoid of atmosphere and service is prefunctary.

As you can see by the reviews it is well regarded.

I would recommend the embarassingly large dosas.

The probblem with buffets is the usual, it is mass cooked and could be lying around for a while.

If you do not like Saravanaas take a look at Haveli and Banjara. Not near the Waldorf but on the east side.

http://www.menupages.com/restaurants/saravanaas/
Dec 28th, 2009, 02:06 PM

Dawat on East 58th between 2nd and 3rd has nice lunch specials... not buffet. As I recall they range in price from approx. $16 to about $20. There's a vegetarian menu, plus four others of various combinations. You could check out the menu on menupages.com
Dec 28th, 2009, 02:54 PM

I'd suggest heading to "Little India" and Annapurna which is on Lexington Ave around 28th St. There are several good restaurants in the area, and some pastery shops as well. For decent and cheap Curry in a Hurry is very good, try the baked chicken and the puri bread with the chutney sauce.
Dec 29th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

Hi everyone

Thank you for the suggestions, I have taken notes! I think I've changed my mind a little bit, though and will try Indian food next trip. I'll be on my own this night, and think it would be better to go with friends to share dishes with.

Johanna