Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

New Orleans - what should be reserved in advance

Dec 27th, 2009, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Going to New Orleans Jan 6-10. We already have reservations for air & hotel. My question is, do we need to reserve anything else before we arrive?

Here are some of the activities we are considering. Do you think we should reserve any online before we go.
Airboat Adventures swamp trip
Mardi Gras World tour
Bloody Mary's graveyard tour or tour of the undead
Tours by Isabelle - plantation tour

What about restaurants? Do we need to reserve in advance? Maybe only for the weekend?

I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks.
Dec 27th, 2009, 07:48 PM

Have been researching New Orleans for an upcoming trip, and am thinking making reservations at those restaurants that take them is wise, especially the big-name places.

Tours by Isabelle only does its tours when it gets a minimum number to go (usually 4, 5, or 6 depending on the tour), and they're not the only ones who this. Others don't have a minimum.
Dec 28th, 2009, 04:13 AM

We always make dinner reservations in advance, just to insure we get to eat where we want. They can always be cancelled if you have a change of plans.

I've never been on the NO airboat trip, but we've done one in the everglades and I imagine it'd be COLD in January!
Dec 28th, 2009, 08:45 AM

I'd rethink the airboat tour since it will be winter. The bayou will not be at its best. Mardi Gras World doesn't need to be reserved in advance. When we did a plantation tour, we just called the day before to reserve a spot, but if you have a specific tour you'd like to go on, I'd reserve it ahead of time to be sure to get it.

Restaurants - I think it depends on whether you are planning to eat in high end places or not.
Dec 29th, 2009, 01:28 PM

No way to predict weather that far out, but be prepared to cancel in event of rainout. It's been very rainy lately, 20 inches in December:

http://weather.blogs.foxnews.com/200...rleans-soaked/

Last place you want to be is in the swamp in the middle of a monsoon, unless you want to be gator meat...
Dec 29th, 2009, 01:31 PM

Bad thing about airboat is you are not protected at all from the elements. Some other swamp tours have some type of cover on a boat. Don't mean to "rain" on your parade, but want you to have the facts...