Search

Amelia Island & Fernandina worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2006, 05:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amelia Island & Fernandina worth it?

Hi
On our way to St. Augustine and further south, we were going to stop on Amelia Island overnite & see Fernandina. Is this detour worth it?
Thanks,
Linda
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 10:30 PM

It is well worth the detour. We went to Amelia Island for a wedding several years ago and loved it and go back often now. We love the Ritz Carlton on Amelia Island but I think if you wanted to stay in Fernandina Beach (and find a cheaper price than the Rtiz) you should try the Hamton Inn & Suites. A great location. There is at least one other Hampton on Amelia Island but think that one is the best for walking around and eating at the many restaurants. Fernandina is a neat little town. Have fun!!
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 04:51 AM

We went there last spring and found it was a delightful place to visit. Elizabeth Pointe Inn has a New England kind of charm on a Florida Beach. The beachfront is very nice. Lots of nice shops and restaurants in town. Well worth stopping there.
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 05:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to you both!
We will make a stop!
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 05:56 AM

Personally, I would pass. The old town of Fernandina is interesting but I'd not go out of my way. Amelia Island was very interesting when the big guys weren't there but now it's been gentrified and homogenized. I guess I have no desire to be in New England in Florida although I'm sure it makes out-of-towners feel at home and we like to cater to our valued tourists here in the Sunshine State. My point is that I find St. Augustine to be more interesting in many ways. Maybe stop for lunch but not an overnight stay, would be my advice.
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 06:46 AM

I would certainly make the stop, actually we prefer it to St. Augustine. We typically stay on the beach (since we now have children) but there are a ton of nice B & B's in the Old Town which would be my first choice. I'm not sure what Tandoori is referring to, the Old Town is still just that. We never venture to the 'resort' side of the island so I can't speak to what may be happening at the Ritz or Plantation. For dinner try the Beech Street Grill or Le Clos Cafe for more upscale or The Crab Trap for more family style. Brett's is great for lunch (have the soup) whatever it is. For those of us that love Ameilia Island, please don't patronize the Hampton Inn, we're all hoping it will go away, the sooner the better. In St. Augustine dine @ The Columbia Restaurant in the Old Town & make sure to get some Sangria.
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 07:15 AM

Tandori: I am not an out of towner. I am a Floridian. I found the Fort and park on Amelia Island fascinating. Elizabeth Pointe Inn is lovely and has impecable service. There is still a lot of old Florida on the island and I thought it was charming. I think it is a lot less "touristy" than St. Augustine.
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 07:36 AM

Oh yes, there is no doubt that Fernandina is less touristy than St Augustine, which is sad, because I have vague memories of St Augustine from a childhood visit, it was so beautiful then.
Fernandina is charming and perfect for a day. Right int the middle of town, by the water is a nice Hampton Inn, across the street is a very busy restaurant. We liked lunch at the Dock (I am forgetting all the names now) but you can walk around the docks and watch for mannatees and take photos. The shops are nice, the people are very nice.
Amelia Island is lovely-
Now-if you are on the end of the island near Amelia Island Plantation, you can go over a bridge, there you will find Big Talbot and Little Talbot State Parks. These are little sea islands and you can walk on trails and see some wildlife and amazing birds. But one of the most remarkable sights is the "graveyard" of trees that lie on the beach. Huge whole trees, now old skeletons of live oaks and cedars ..all along the beach. You can picnic there too.
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 08:15 AM

There is currently some renovation going on where the town was originally as well. It is an interesting little area. I forgot to mention, for a massage, yoga, etc. try the Healing Dome. Don & Cindy will take excellent care of you. There is also an old plantation down towards the Talbot islands, perhaps someone can help me w/the name ?
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 08:18 AM

Kingsley Plantation!
Go there! We took our son last year when he visited us in Jax it is a great place to wander back in time. The area is cool, live oaks reaching over the road and forming a tunnel to go through..
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 08:21 AM

Scarlett, you are correct, thank you. You can also take the ferry over if you continue down that way.
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 08:48 AM

American Beach used to be there. It was land owned by the African-American Insurance company, one of the few places where African-Americans were allowed on a beach, much less allowed to own property of such value. Sadly efforts to maintain the status quo there were in vain. There was lots of pressure from developers and, well, things change.

Yes, the Kingsley is lovely. One of the nicer plantations in Florida.
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 09:54 AM

I agree it's worth an overnight stay, but understand that the "town" is not near the beach. It's a short (unattractive) drive, but not walking distance.
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 10:09 AM

It might be 2 miles from the Old Town to the beach. We used to routinely ride bikes from the B & B's to the Beach (most are located on or around 7th St.) A couple of minutes max by car. Elizabeth Pointe is a B & B actually on the Beach.
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 10:34 AM

We were just there last weekend for an extended weekend away from Orlando. This was our 3rd time here and we just love it. It is so laid back and relaxing. Fort Clinch state park is a must see with the fort and the fishing pier and walking on totally pristine beaches is amazing. We like the Florida House Inn in Fernandina beach and the free scooters are a lot of fun and a cool way to get around. There are a lot of other Inns as well and a whole slew of restaurant choices. We like St. Augustine too but it is much more crowded and traffic and parking is horrible.
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 10:25 AM

If you go to Amelia Island for a vacation try out Island Rejuvacations. Teri Daggett at island rejuvacations can put togther an excellent retreat package for you see her stuff at islandrejuvacations.com and tell her sugarbaker sent you.
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 11:22 AM

I lived there for years, so that may account for response.
My response would be "no." As Scarlett said, Kingsley Plantation is neat to see (but it's sort of a small deal) as is Ft Clinch in Fernandina. But as a whole it's just not worth the trip in my opinion.
I liked the Elizabeth Pointe Lodge but it's all just a facade. It looks better than it really is.
As someone else said, St Augustine has more to see. They also have a fort. (Maybe one day I'll have my own fort.)