Search

aloha fodorites!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2006, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
aloha fodorites!

I'm about half-way through my hawaii trip and just wanted to send you all much aloha! The weather has not been so great (lots of rain) but who's complaining. That's mother nature, it is still paradise and we have been having so many wonderful experiences.

The whales have been super active off the coasts of Maui, we've seen more rainbows in the last few days than I have in my entire life and even a moonbow one night. I'm loving our digs in Kuau Cove just outside of Paia, fantastic setting and location. Paia rocks with all it's cute shops and good food. Upcountry is way underated, IMO. The people here have been so friendly! Yesterday we did the Road to Hana, all the way around, amazing. The waterfalls were all raging since they have gotten so much rainfall in the last month. Oheo Gulch was closed to swimming which was a bummer (we didn't make it that far last time) but the Pipiwai Hike, albeit extremely muddy, was a blast and the scenery and waterfall at the end spectacular. We are taking it easy today and then will head over to Makena tomorrow to kayak/snorkel. Really looking forward to the excursion and hopefully we'll hear the whales sing underwater.

The first few days we spent in Waikiki were fun, but we were all ready to get out of there and truly unwind here on Maui. Our drive around the island took many detours because of the rain/flooding - I couldn't believe how bad it was in some areas, very sad. Had some great shrimp at the truck called Maki's - parked just across from Turtle Bay. Pipeline contest was canceled and the water was brown (we thought it was dirt, but the news is now saying it was sewage). Our most enjoyable moments on Oahu were the outrigger canoe ride (my folks LOVED this!) surfing early one morning before it got crowded, and driving the Round Top/Tantalus route to Punchbowl. Let me also not forget the Malasadas from Leonards! (we had some here on Maui, from Komoda Bakery in Makawao and they just don't compare...)

In case anyone is traveling before I get back and do a full report, I highly recommend Baggage Direct if you are flying interisland and have activities planned on those days. For instance, we were flying out of Honolulu to Kahului on a Saturday pm, but wanted to visit Pearl Harbor in the morning so Baggage Direct picked up our bags and delivered our boarding passes the night before. It was a huge convenience and then we didn't have to worry about anything being stolen out of our rental car. I think we paid $80 for the service for four people. Worth it!

Well, I think I'll wrap it up and go enjoy another morning in paradise. Full report to come. Aloha!

Old Mar 9th, 2006, 08:31 AM
bonniebroad

Thank you, thank you, thank you, acaigirl, for sharing your trip with us. So glad you're having a wonderful time.

I've been seeing all that flooding on Oahu in the news, and I'm so sorry that's happening while you're there. It can color your feelings about a place, which is a shame. Friends of ours went to Kauai several years ago (part of a multi-island trip), and came back saying they didn't like that island, and that it rained all four days! Well, we love Kauai, and couldn't believe it. On their next trip to the islands, they visited Kauai again, had five sunny days and fell in love with the place. I'm glad you enjoyed Oahu despite the weather, and I'm sure you'll enjoy it even more if you manage to go when it is it's normally sunny self!

Enjoy the rest of your trip ... and eat some shave ice for me! Seeing all those rainbows ... boy, am I jealous!

Old Mar 9th, 2006, 08:41 AM

If you haven't done so yet, stop in the little crepe place in Paia - I think it's called Cafe des Amis? Great crepes and wonderful mango yogurt drinks.
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

aloha bonniebroad & brian!

I've been to Oahu 2 times before and have been fortunate to see the windward coast & north shore in the sunshine, however my husband and my parents have not. I was bummed for them that the water was all so brown and the sky grey, but it really didn't seem to phase them much. I think the concensus was not how this was affecting our vacation, but how the weather and flooding was affecting the locals.

Brian, you are the 4th person who has recommended Cafe de Amis - we will go for sure by the week's end!

aloha
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 11:41 AM

Aloha acaigirl,

Enjoyed your posting. Quick question about the rain you are receiving in Maui. Weather.com forcasts rain for the next 10 days. We are arriving on the 17th to a rainy, windy day, subject to change. What percentage of your day is it raining?

Enjoy the rest of your vacation!
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 07:14 PM

Chico, I live Kihei and we have seen no rain at all. Windward rain is common, and still nothing like they had on O`ahu last week. Today was a gorgeous day in Kihei, warm with a nice breeze. I'm seeing them call for scattered showers for most days in the extended forecast, a typical forecast for leeward Maui anytime of year.
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 08:04 PM

Thank you so very much "here today gone to maui", your information is very much appreciated. We do not mind cloudy skys, showers etc. Again, thank you so much for all of your valued information.

Mahalo