Alexandria or Brookland?

Search

Alexandria or Brookland?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2009, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alexandria or Brookland?

Our family of 6 is spending 5 days in DC in April. Can you help me decide where to stay?I'm looking at the Homewood Suites in Alexandria. We could either smash into one suite or reserve 2 rooms each night. The free breakfasts sure pay off with teenage kids!
I've also found a 3 BR home in Brookland which would offer a lot more space, but I'm not sure what the area is like. We have rented apt and homes before and really enjoyed it.
Thanks for your help!
Old Jan 13th, 2009, 09:53 AM

Alexandria makes much more sense for visitors. The Brookland area is a middle-class residential neighborhood, not close to anything you'll actually be doing, unless you plan to visit the Basilica at Catholic University. The benefit of extra space would be undone by the inconvenience of the location.
Old Jan 13th, 2009, 10:03 AM

Check out the Residence Inn in Old Alexandria. They have two bedroom suites with a living room and kitchen.

Book through Marriott site and there is no deposit and you cancel up almost arrival time.

I think we're paying $257 a night April 18-24th. Free breakfast and light dinner reception M-Th.
Old Jan 13th, 2009, 10:47 AM

Between the two, stay in Alexandria.
Old Jan 13th, 2009, 11:20 AM

I think the key question is, how are you planning to get around during your stay? The Homewood Suites is not at all convenient to metro - I believe it's out on Leesburg Pike toward Bailey's Crossroads, several miles from metro and Old Town Alexandria. Unles you are very familiar with DC, I would definitely advise taking public transportation into the city rather than driving in, which can be confusing for visitors and expensive to park. I am not as familiar with Brookland, but although it is not a big tourist area, neither is the area Homewood Suites is in, frankly, and at least there is a CUA/Brookland metro stop. Depending on how close your rental house possibility is to the metro, that may be a better option.
Old Jan 13th, 2009, 11:54 AM

D'oh! I was thinking of the Hampton Inn in Alexandria, which is in a great location, and near the Metro! Indeed, Homewood Suites apparently has transportation issues.
Old Jan 13th, 2009, 12:00 PM

What is the street name and block (you don't have to give me exact address) in Brookland? I am over that way a lot. Maybe I can help
Old Jan 13th, 2009, 01:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the ideas. I checked into the Residence Inn but they don't have any 2 Bedrooms left.
We haven't decided on transportation yet. I know parking is difficult, but I've also read that it may be cheaper than 6 metro passes a day. We've driven in DC before, but it's been many years.

Parking is free at the hotel--so we could also park at a metro stop. I noticed that public transportation is not very convenient to this hotel.

I don't know the address with the home, as I'm just checking it out from Home Away. But thanks for the offer lovesitaly. I just remember from my younger years getting gas in DC and all of a sudden we were in a very bad area. It doesn't sounds like Brookland is like that!
Old Jan 14th, 2009, 04:00 PM

I'd look at a more Metro accessible hotel in Alexandria. It's not just that parking is expensive, it's also a pain to find. Being on the Metro will give you a lot more flexibility.

And a safety note: DC is a much safer city than it once was but it's still a city. If you're driving around it's very easy to end up in a bad neighborhood without realizing it. Personally, I think that's another reason to use the Metro.
Old Jan 19th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Original Poster

I've decided to reserve a room at Embassy Suites between Foggy Bottom and Dupont Circle. It's only 4 blocks from either metro station. It's going to be great being so close. Thanks for suggesting I give the Alexandria hotel more thought!!

It turns out this hotel is only a little more expensive than the Homewood Suites. It also has queen beds instead of doubles, which makes a big difference for us.

Without a car is it easy to get out to Mt Vernon? Maybe we should rent a car for one or two days for side trips. We'll really be in DC for 7 days--5 the first week and 2 more before we fly home.