Reload this Page >

Albuquerque Balloon Fest

Search

Albuquerque Balloon Fest

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8th, 2001, 07:46 AM
kmarie

Albuquerque Balloon Fest

We have the plane tickets and the hotel reservation. I've found some web sites and travel books. What I'm hoping to hear from you, helpful Fodorites, is advice based on your experiences at the balloon fiesta in past years...

We'll have a rental car but should we plan to use the shuttle bus to avoid traffic, parking woes? (we're staying at the Sheraton Uptown.)

Has anyone taken a ride in one of the balloons? Comments, advice?

Best time of day to go out to the site? Is one day better than another? (

Because of professional obligations, not every day is free but I do expect we'll have all of Thursday, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. Day-trip to Santa Fe, perhaps? Any other thoughts? What about can't-miss places (and restaurants) in both cities?

Thanks for your help!

Old Sep 8th, 2001, 01:18 PM
cindy

I went to the Fiesta a few years ago. You're going to have a wonderful time. I suggest you book VERY soon if you want to go on a balloon ride; as I recall it's difficult to arrange that on-site. We went first thing in the morning, just at sunrise. It's gorgeous. When you first get to the site, it's still dark and you can see the glow from the balloons that are already aloft. They're like stars blinking on and off. I don't have any experience with the shuttle bus, but wasn't overly troubled by the traffic or the parking; there are huge parking lots there and you can always find a space. Actually one afternoon when we were at the site to see the novelty balloons, we left in a very dense traffic jam, but that gave us the opportunity to see the most beautiful sunset I've ever seen in my life, so I'm quite pleased to have been caught in it! I'm not sure a day trip to Santa Fe will give you enough time to see what there is to see there, but you can certainly get there in a short time (less than 2 hours). I'd drive up the old highway (the Turquoise Trail) and visit the town of Madrid. It's a tiny place but it's all galleries and artist studios. Ooh, I'm so jealous! I loved the Fiesta. Have a great time.

Old Sep 9th, 2001, 06:52 PM
kmarie

Thanks, Cindy. It does sound wonderful!
I was thinking about going out one morning just before dawn to see one of the mass ascensions; from your description, we'll definitely plan on it. And the Turquoise Trail is now on the list, too. Thank you!

Restaurant recommendations, anyone? From what I understand, New Mexico cuisine relies a lot on chiles. While I'll enjoy a few authentic New Mexico meals, I know I'll need some other choices, too, for lunches and dinners during my six days there. Fish/
light fare? Bistro? Any especially good ethnic places?

Thanks for your suggestions!

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 06:15 AM
Larry

My wife and I also attended the Fiesta two years ago and it is a spectacular sight. I recommend an early morning visit for the mass ascension. Be aware that it is quite cold in the morning so be prepared. Also one evening you should see the balloon glow.
I also recommend the Turquoise Trail to Santa Fe. Stop at Tinkertown on the road up to Sandia Peak. It is an unusual place and needs to be seen to be believed. Have a great time and take plenty of film!

Old Sep 15th, 2001, 04:43 PM
kmarie

Thanks for your ideas, Larry!

I hope, as the day of departure approaches, that I'll regain my enthusiasm for this marvelous trip. I've been so focussed on the events of Tuesday morning that I've had difficulty thinking of anything else...

Old Sep 18th, 2001, 11:11 PM
Smiley :)

This event is an early-risers paradise!!! Parking is not an issue if you go early (plan to arrive no later than 5:00am).

The BIG-I is currently under construction and could add to your driving times depending on your route. It is generally closed in all directions from 9pm to 5 or 6am.

Weekends have the largest number of balloons, and the largest crowds. It is best to go on these mass assention days, as you will see upwards of 800 hot air balloons. Also, the Special Shapes Rodeo is very fun to see.

Balloon rides are GREAT; only the landing was scary for me. I highly recommend one.

Acoma Pueblo (Sky City) is one of my favorite places to take friends. You should do the tour if you go there (it is about 60 miles west of Albuquerque).

The tram ride to the crest and the Bandalier National Monument are also nice jaunts. If you like small shops and galleries, then Sante Fe is a good trip (I avoid it like the plague).

If you are a golfer, Paako Ridge has very reasonable green fees, around $50, and a lovely mountain setting.

Last, but not least, some favorite dining spots:
-The Artichoke Cafe
-Robbs Ribbs
-Monte Vista Fire Station
-Scalo
-Kellys Brewery
For local fare:
-Sadies (If they say HOT they mean it)
-El Pinto
...and if you're brave, Barelas Coffee House or El Modelo (take out only). Both are in the barrio.

Old Sep 19th, 2001, 07:49 AM
missABQ

For a restaurant suggestion....
The Great American Steakhouse. Its located on Tramway and Indian School. The food is great and the view at sunset and at night can't be beat!!

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 06:19 AM
Ann

I don't want to be an alarmist, but since 9/11 things have changed in the non-commercial flying world. As far as I know, all small, private (i.e. balloons, ultra-light aircraft, Cesnas, etc....all except crop dusters) have been grounded! I'd get in touch with the balloon fest people and see if it's still happening. I hope it does go on, but there's a real possibility it may not be able to take off.

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 06:30 AM
Ann

I spoke too soon. The government has just reinstated VFR flight! Just today. Partly due to work by the New Mexico congressional delegation. This is terrific news. Enjoy the festival.

Old Sep 22nd, 2001, 11:55 AM
Ruby

Hello,

I just found out that I have to travel to Albuquerque in the third week of November. I was wondering when the balloon festival is?

Thanks,
Ruby

Old Sep 22nd, 2001, 12:31 PM
Larry

It is a fantastic experience (http://www.aibf.org/). Take twice as much film as you think you'll need and, if a video person, extra tapes and batteries. The mornings can be downright cool but sunrise is great! Agree with previous comments about mass liftoffs and evening 'glow'. Try to see Bandilier Nat'l Park (http://www.nps.gov/band/) if you have time. I never pass up a chance to see Chaco Canyon (http://www.nps.gov/chcu/) whenever I'm out there. El Pinto for wonderful New Mexican food (http://www.elpinto.com/)

Old Sep 22nd, 2001, 04:59 PM
Sue

We think El Pinto has gone downhill in recent years. There is a very nice restaurant at the Santa Ana Pueblo (and golf course), Prairie Star; I'm sure someone can tell you. Good salmon (and other stuff) and a chocolate dessert to die for.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 02:13 PM
sean

Best mexicon food is Papa fllepes Its menall and jauntabo. Most over rated restaurent is gaurdunoes. Best itallin food in Albuquerque is trombinoes