Ghost Ranch near Abiquiu

Search

Ghost Ranch near Abiquiu

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2009, 07:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ghost Ranch near Abiquiu

My wife and I are going to the Ghost Ranch Conference Center near Abiquiu to take part in conference, July 20-26. We will take 2-3 more days to sight see a little of NM. Any recommendations for hikes, parks, sights to see, lodging? We're flying in and out of Albuquerque. Thanks so much for your help. Dan
Old May 21st, 2009, 10:09 PM

Lucky you!

You'll be in O'Keefe country so going to see her home in Abiquiu will fill in the picture, so to speak. You need to make reservations for the tour, which is very good.

Hikes? Maybe Chama

You'll have to do a little back tracking to get to Taos, but a stay in the Old Taos Inn is so special--great bar, mesquite burning kiva fireplaces, and dinner in Doc Martin's. In Taos, the whole Southwestern art scene began. Read Edge of Taos Desert by Mabel Dodge Luhan and you'll feel like an insider. Seeing the Millicent Rodgers Museum is great if you like history and art.

For the best northern New Mexico cuisine there is, have any meal you can at Orlando's on the way out of town going north. Keep your eyes peeled--it's on the left-hand side of the road.

Of course, the main attraction in Taos is the Pueblo (the turnoff is very near Orlando's

On your return towards Albuquerque, you can stay at Bishop's Lodge. Remember Death Comes For the Archbishop by Willa Cather? This is where that priest had his retreat.

Depending on your route, the church at Chimayo is also a memorable stop.

In Santa Fe, you can have a truly great lunch in The Shed.

Try not to worry about seeing everything. As Georgia O'Keefe once said, "If you ever go to New Mexico, it will itch you for the rest of your life." So you'll probably be back sometime.
Old May 22nd, 2009, 02:29 AM

You will notice that the O'Keefe house is just about the only attraction mentioned that is near the Ghost Ranch. This is incredibly beautiful country, but it is very, very empty. This is, of course, both a feature and a bug.
Old May 27th, 2009, 12:23 PM

There are hikes you can take at Ghost Ranch. The front desk will give you a map and a guide for the time each one takes. I didn't think any were too difficult if you are agile and good health. If you have bad knees a couple of spots could be too much for you. Carry lots of water and wear sunscreen. I was there for a week and loved it! The accommodations are sparse and the food very basic and bland. However, the scenery does seem to make up for that.

I highly recommend driving the high road from Taos. If you wind your way up to Taos from Abiquiu for a night take this road the next day into Santa Fe. You will have beautiful views and come across small towns with lots of charm. A stop at Chimayo is a must. I'm not sure if Rancho de Chimayo will be open yet as they had a fire and were supposed to open in April but I hear it is now June. If it is open have lunch on their patio and enjoy delicious local New Mexican cuisine.

I'll second eating at The Shed in Santa Fe. It has such charm and visitors love it. It is located in the plaza area and is always busy so give yourself a little time to wait as it is worth it.
Cafe Pasqual's -- known for the terrific breakfast which they serve all day long. Be prepared for a wait. Put your name down and take a short walk close by. I'm a huge fan of her mole sauce. I consider myself a self-proclaimed connoisseur of mole and her sauce is outstanding.

Lodging that I usually recommend is:
Inn of the Governors
Inn on the Alameda
El Farolito
Hotel Plaza Real

All are in walking distance to the plaza. We just returned from a trip at Bishop's Lodge. It's still having lots of problems with service. I don't think I can recommend it yet as they are struggling with these problems. If you don't care about anything but your room and the surroundings -- which are beautiful --- then give it a try. They are offering stay 2 nights get the 3rd one free if the 3rd night is Sun-Thur. Not a bad deal. They also provide a shuttle to the plaza area if you don't want to bother with finding a parking spot.

I have a post with lots of patios and restaurant recommendations and will add when I can locate it.

BeachGirl

**Sandals, that is a great quote which I have not read before but completely I agree! We've been going now for 19 years. Just got back and going again for July 4th. There is something about New Mexico that keeps calling us back for more.
Old May 27th, 2009, 02:09 PM

I looked for you Monday, BeachGirl!

Lee Ann
Old May 27th, 2009, 02:29 PM

I was there! It was so beautiful outside Monday. No rain until late afternoon. I'm so glad you talked dh into going. Yea!
Old May 27th, 2009, 02:55 PM

Tent Rocks is a really great hike, between ABQ and Santa Fe,west of I 25

http://www.blm.gov/nm/st/en/prog/rec...ent_rocks.html

Hikes should be done in morning to avoid heat of afternoon and sudden, heavy down pours/storms as that time period will be [hopefully] during our Monsoon season.

Hike the Crest of the Sandias, it has wonderful views. Take the tram up or drive [from either Santa Fe or ABQ] via Turquoise Trail and stop in Madrid. LA Luz is another great hike in the Q.

http://www.turquoisetrail.org/

http://gorp.away.com/gorp/location/nm/turqmine.htm

http://gorp.away.com/gorp/trailfinde...rd=&stateid=33

SUNSCREEN! LOTS of WATER! LIPBALM with SFP! HAT! TRAIL MAP!

Have fun,
Deb
Old Jul 25th, 2009, 03:14 PM

Staying at Ghost Ranch near Abiquiu, New Mexico
Ghost Ranch (http://www.ghostranch.org/ ) accepts tourists for short stays. However, prospective customers should be aware that Ghost Ranch is a church conference and retreat center and not a bed – and – breakfast nor a resort. I paid $50 per night for room and breakfast for one person, shared bath. There were no locks on the guest room doors. Linen was provided, but not maid service. Bath soap was not provided, so check with the office during business hours to make sure you have all the necessities for the night (there is a canteen on site). My room had four beds and an end table – no luggage stand or desk. I can’t remember if there were any chairs. The food was OK – reminded me of summer camp.
The buildings are located in a beautiful canyon near Abiquiu Reservoir. The grounds were quiet and had enough lighting to make a flashlight unnecessary and interfere with the night sky. There are several attractive hiking trails on the property.
I drove to Chama during my one full day at the ranch. Chama was one hour by car, and Santa Fe and Bandelier about 90 minutes.
I would recommend Ghost Ranch Abiquiu to tourists looking for a simple, inexpensive place to stay in the region. It was a welcome relief from Motel 6 and Microtel. Just don’t expect anything fancy or gourmet.
Old Jul 30th, 2009, 10:44 AM

Dan, you are correct! Camp food and simple rooms. I didn't mind it for the week as the stunning setting made up for the mediocre food.

Bode's Convenience store is just down the road in Abiqui where you can get snacks or hot food such as green chile chicken burritos (which were quite tasty).
Old Jul 30th, 2009, 11:21 AM

I am partial to Taos over Santa Fe & you must visit the Pueblo. taospueblo.com + I've always wanted to do this, but it isn't close - www.lightningfield.org
Old Jul 30th, 2009, 01:17 PM

I would second tent rocks!!!

additional to all that's been suggested already, there's also echo ampitheater, the monastery in the desert (both just within 10 or so miles from ghost ranch), plaza blanca, and abiquiui lake in the opposite direction. really gorgeous country. so much to see and do. enjoy!
Old Jul 30th, 2009, 01:18 PM

oooops. sorry, i missed those dates. i guess my advice came a bit too late. ;-)

hope you had a great visit!