A few questions for Sante Fe/Taos Trip over Thanksgiving

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12th, 2005, 05:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My family (children 10 and 11) and I are going to Sante Fe for the week over Thanksgiving. I have read the posts, but still have a few questions.

My husband will want to go golfing a few times. He will take our 10 year old son to caddy, drive the cart, etc. Which courses would you recommend that are fairly close to Sante Fe?

Which lodging would you recommend? We will want to be close to the Plaza since my daughter and I will need to walk on the days my husband is golfing. We have stayed at B&Bs and inns, and my family loves them. My children are very savvy travelers. Please recommend an inn that would be nice near the Plaza.

We want to go to Taos. Should we do a day trip or do an overnight? In some ways, I think an overnight since we could make a lot of stops along the way and make a day of just driving there.

Where do we eat for Thanksgiving day? Again, my children are restaurant savvy, and we look for good food, local chefs, and fresh ingredients.

FYI on us, we are comprised of artists and art admirers, interested in history, and architecture, we love beatiful scenery, we enjoying hiking and biking, and good food.

Thank you for your help!
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 08:20 PM
rex

My daughter and I just spent three partial days in New Mexico; I had been to Santa Fe before; she had not; I had not been to Taos. I was a little bit disappointed in Taos. The main plaza has been taken over by a bit too much touristy-ticky-tacky, IMO. I think there is no dearth of shops to look at, but not so much centrally. We may have made to much of a buzz-through.

But the reason for my replying has more to do with the road(s) between Santa Fe and Taos (and to a lesser extent, the Turquoise Trail, between Santa Fe and ABQ).

We failed to understand that the "main" route to Taos is NOT "the high road to Taos" (which passes through the artist-rich area of Chimayo). We made the mistake of deciding to take the high road BACK from Taos, even though it was close to sundown. Halfway back (which includes going through Chimayo) it was pitch dark (so we missed much of the point of making the drive) - - but moreover, there is a lengthy stretch of the road that it is NOT paved... loose gravel between narrowly placed (and many fallen over) orange barrels. And on top of that, it started to rain fairly heavily as we were on downhill slopes of this unstable surface (as weather patterns move over these mountains, autumn precipitation might actually be quite common after sunset in this area).

I am an intrepid driver, and this was far closer to unsafe conditions than almost anything I can think of (in Europe, for example).

In daylight, it would likely be enjoyable, and perhaps bring you in contact with the artistic side of Northern New Mexico better than Taos itself.

But keep in mind that there is SO much to see and do in Santa Fe itself!

Last of all, a word on the Turquoise Trail. We both enjoyed the town of Madrid; she (age 22, and a bit artsy) went ape, also, over TinkerTown - - personally, I don't really "get it". but I will admit that it's the kind of place you can't really appreciate without seeing it for yourself!

See tinkertown.com - - though the website doesn't really capture it!

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 04:36 AM

Defintily do a over night in Taos.The high road is a days worth of stuff to do itself. If your just driving to Taos getting out of your car and looking at the PLaza and then getting back in your car your missing what Taos has to offer (not to mention looking like a major tourista)
I love the Old Taos Guest House or the San Geronimo right acroos the street.You have to drive a couple miles to the plaza but the quietness and beauty of both of these reasonably priced places are worth it.The people that own the OTGH know everything about Taos and are super friendly.

The Millicent Rogers Museum and the Martinez Hacienda and the Harwood Museum are must does in Taos as well as a trip to the Rio Grande Gorge Bridge just north of town.
Have drinks and great appetizers at the Anaconda Bar which is part of the El Monte Sagrad Resort right on your way into town from The OTGH. The plaza itself may have alot of trinket shops but the next street over is (Bent Street) is full of great galleries and shops. Lunch at the Bent Street deli is great but save room for Fish Tacos at Orlandos north of town.The high road back is a days worth of stuff to do itself.
I would drive the low road there(very beautiful) stopping along the way, spend the day and night in Taos and drive the high road back the next day. But leave at a decent hour each day or you'll run out of time.
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 04:09 PM
annieladd

Mosey, I think your family will love Santa Fe.

Golf- Pueblo de Cochiti is just before Santa Fe (from Alb)that's about the only one we're at all familiar with.

Lodging- Depending on your budget. I would recommend La Fonda or Inn of the Anasazi for great hotel and great location. If your budget is a little less, then Inn of the Governors or St. Francis.

Taos- High road to Taos is lovely, stop in Chimayo. Milicent Rogers Museum mentioned earlier is lovely.

Thanksgiving Day- I don't know what will be open, call around, Geronimo, Santacafe, Casa Sena. Or maybe call Bishop's Lodge and see what they are offering.

Have a lovely time, annieladd

Old Oct 27th, 2005, 04:59 PM

Mosey, we spent Christmas in Santa Fe a couple of years ago at the El Dorado Hotel and they did a wonderful job on Christmas day dining. I would give them a call and see what they have going for Thanksgiving. We will be in Santa Fe on 11/17-18. I booked two nights at Santa Fe Motel & Inn. Would love to hear any feedback anyone has on the place. Thanks
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 06:32 PM

I did Alb and Santa Fe for Thanksgiving a couple of years ago - and had a blast. But, it was quite nippy. Be sure to pack appropriately.
Old Oct 31st, 2005, 01:46 PM

Hiya. I've spent Thanksgiving in Santa Fe before. The last time, we stayed somewhere along cerillos (sp?) road. This year I'll be coming back again to spend Thanksgiving there but this time we're staying at the hilton by the plaza. We plan to go back to Coyote Cafe for Thanksgiving dinner. The food is quite good. This year they're only serving until 8pm.

Tried to go the high road to taos then but only made it as far as Chimayo (lovely little town, bought some holy chili peppers there that still hang at my place to this day. This year we plan to spend a night in taos ski valley and a night in taos town. failing the ski valley (they usually have a minimun night stay but the lodge is checking since it's early season), we'll be at the taos inn. It came highly recommended and fromt he pictures online, the rooms are so affordable and inclused wood burning fireplace.

Anyway, enjoy! We might see you there!
Oh and yes, on the 24th, they do the christmas lighting in the plaza and line the plaza center with luminarias, it's indeed quite enchanting and we're looking forward to that this year also.
Old Nov 20th, 2005, 08:31 AM
azk

My husband and I will also be in this area during Thanksgiving. My question is: High road OR low, what is likely to be open/visitable on TG day on our way from Sante Fe to Taos? We already have the restaurant reservations for TG dinner in Taos--what to do that day?
Old Nov 20th, 2005, 11:29 AM

yes to high road/chimayo/ lots of stops on way for photos/exploring (turquoise trail too) and you could also think about the Taos Pueblo, esp interesting/history for the kids. We also liked the San Geronimo.
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 01:06 PM

A note about the christmas lighting I mentioned before. I called and it will be on the 25th, Friday from 2:30 to 6:30pm. There will be food for sale and also entertainment.

Travelzoo had a wonderful deal for the El Dorado hotel last week - it was 60% off so we switched to El Dorado from the Hilton. If you're still looking for a place to stay, try booking it with coupon code "ZOO".