Search

alaskan cruise

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2002, 06:00 PM
eskimo

alaskan cruise

I am going on an alaskan cruise the first week of july 2002 and i was wondering what to pack!
I will be sailing in the inside passage.

what does one suggest?

Old May 28th, 2002, 06:08 PM
LCUY

First thing you need to check is in your cruise info to see how many dress-up dinners they have. Beyond that, pack very casual clothes, keeping in mind it can be very chilly on the deck of a ship. Make sure you have a rain poncho and good walking shoes for wandering aound on land as well. Take binoculars, mosquito repellant, whistle, lots of film, and any supplies (film, drugs, etc)that you'll need. Prices are very high in Alaska. You might also consider bringing your own soda if you drink a lot...Our Holland America cruise charged $3 per can. Have fun!

Old May 28th, 2002, 06:11 PM
suzy

i would seriously pack some medicine! no joking. my parents went on an alaska cruise last summer and everyone on that ship got the flu. i suggest some good immune boosting formulas from the health food store and take it for a couple of weeks before you go. as for clothes, they said that they needed everything from a bathing suit to a jacket. have fun

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 09:30 PM
Robin

I am also going on a cruise in early July and need some advice on what to bring and what to do. Thanks for the comments. I did have a question for LCUY's reply of 05/28/02 Why should we take a whistle?

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 08:34 AM
X

check out cruisecritic.com

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 09:21 AM
John

I suppose the whistle is to keep the bears away (should be completely successful in downtown Juneau and the bonus is it will keep the elephants away too). Or maybe it's to signal for the lifeboat - don't let go of Leonardo, for Pete's sake!

Pack something dressy for dressy dinners, unless you're not going to bother (always an option), otherwise jeans or khakis, a jacket, a cotton sweater or two that you can remove when the sun comes out (which it does), and sensible shoes. Buy a goofy ball cap on your first stop. Unless you're planning on tromping in the boonies (not really an option on most excursions) boots, a poncho, heavy clothing or other "outdoor" gear will most likely remain unused in your cabin.

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 09:30 AM
WeatherMan

Bring an umbrella, you'll need it for sure.

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 02:45 PM
Jen

Bring layers! We went last 4th of July and the weather ran the gamut -- sunny and warm to cold and rainy. It will be cold for certain if you are cruising by the glaciers. Bring some fleecy stuff and silks, but don't forget your shorts and bathing suits. We never needed any insect repellant, but we did use our light hiking gear. Have fun!

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 09:58 PM
kkj

I would suggest that you check out the cruise section of this site to get more advice.

Have a good time.

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 01:45 AM
LCUY

Robin- sorry for the delayed reply...I just got back from 2 great weeks in mexico...
I always take a whistle when hiking or otherwise in the wild. If you get lost or hurt it will attract attention better than yelling.