Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Why an over the door shoe holder for a cruise?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2012, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been reading some cruise packing list suggestions and the over-the-door shoe holder keeps coming up. I know that counter space is limited, but if one has a hanging toiletry kit, what would you put in this? We'll be two women in one ocean view room on four-night Carnival Fascination cruise. Thanks.
Old May 10th, 2012, 07:20 AM

On a longer cruise it can be helpful for storing such items as sunscreen, umbrellas, insect repellant, books, etc. I took one on my first long cruise (14 night) and found that I really did not need it. With weight limits on flying to ports, I just pack only essentials. Storage space is always an issue on cruises. However, unless you are driving to the port and packing several suitcases you will not need to take an over the door shoe holder for a four night cruise IMHO.
Old May 10th, 2012, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. I was concerned that I was missing something.
Old May 10th, 2012, 09:43 AM

I bought on at the dollar store, took it on a cruise, could never find a use for it, and donated it to Goodwill when I got home. We have always found it easy to stay organized in the cabin; there is enough storage space for the two of us.
Old May 10th, 2012, 10:53 AM

Hmmm. This is a good idea for my honey. She sort of likes shoes and we have an upcoming 11 night cruise. Maybe I can find room in it for one of the two pair I usually bring.
Old May 10th, 2012, 11:39 AM

I am with Abram Our shoe holders are in our home shoe closet!
Old May 11th, 2012, 08:30 AM

I, on the other hand, did take one on my first cruise - mom, me and a toddler in an inside cabin. We found it so useful - cell phones, our post-its and pen (we were with a large group) brochures from shore visits, toddler medicines, all our toiletries, paperbacks, brushes and hair stuff, phone and ipad charger, you name it. I thought it was the best $7 I spent preparing for the whole trip. Mine is a lightweight cotton canvas mesh one.
Old May 11th, 2012, 03:50 PM
Original Poster

txgirlinbda, I can see how useful it must have been for you. I think for this trip I'll pass.

Thank you all for your insights.
Old May 14th, 2012, 02:50 PM

Let me speak in favor of the shoe bags.. Many moons ago (more than 20+) a wise cruiser named Calgon talked about shoe bags. It has been a G-d send for keeping lotions, umbrellas, flashlight, shoes, clothes pins, shampoos, etc. The secret is to buy the flimsiest one that will fold without taking extra space. TXGIRLINBADA uses hers wisely. I will admit that nowadays cabins on most ships have sufficient space/drawers. Another positive thing about the shoe bags it makes the cleaning of the cabin much easier for the steward with less items on desk tops and floors.. Vote me in..
Old May 15th, 2012, 12:25 PM

I just toss everything into a drawer and left nothing on the desktop or counter. Cellphone on a ship? Nope It's in the safe. paper back? I'm too busy to read. There is also a library that I can grab a book from and it sits on the coffee table. As to shampoon, lotions etc, the ship provides them and is in the bathroom shelf. We sued to pack flashlight and since it was never used, we didn't bring one anymore. dollar store poncho over umbrella.

Brochures got tossed after the fact. The daily newsletter were put away as souvenir. We usually found pen and paper on desk, provided by the ship (or hotel).

We do use a few freezer zip lock bags. One for the electronics such as chargers, mps3 players; one for medications and first aid; Typically one for each type of oddieties and the bags are all in the drawers.

For the steward, they made the bed, avcumn, dust, change towels and there is nothing else for them to touch as everything is out of sight.

By the way, where do you hang that overhead shoe bag? cabin door or bathroom door? or it hangs on a coat hanger?
Old May 17th, 2012, 06:44 AM

Hi Eschew--long time no "talk".. First let me admit we were over packers. The shoe bag was always hung on the bathroom door. As a woman I bring my own shampoo and conditioner and until ships have gotten smarter and provided more efficient hair dryers, I would bring mine along. We also used it for sun tan lotion/beach-pool shoes/bottled soaps for washing out a few things. Last but not least were my shoes. Have never taken an iron or steamer.