Carry on for 12 day med cruise.

Jan 2nd, 2005, 08:53 PM
Original Poster

Carry on for 12 day med cruise.

Does anyone have any idea if I can do a 12 day cruise with a 22inch carry on and school size back pack? I can usually do it for European land trips of 10 nites, but I don't have to worry about formal nites. Has anyone done this and can it be done without me getting really sick of my clothes? Its in June so I probably won't need a jacket.
Jan 2nd, 2005, 09:09 PM

I couldn't. Could possibly manage if not on a cruise, but when we cruise I am a complete and totally disgusting clothes horse. Since I will be on the ship for the entire time out, I can unpack and won't have to repack until time to disembark, so I take all my "finery" from sport to casual to elegant. Lots of shoes I would ordinarily leave at home, as well as jewelry (which I pack in my carry on) and other accessories. I even have a special suitcase for cruises (even though we seldom cruise anymore). I pull out all the stops on a cruise, but that's just my style. Others might think I'm nuts!
Jan 2nd, 2005, 10:32 PM

If you are normally able to pack light, I don't see why you couldn't pull it off. I usually take only a 19in OR a 21in rollaboard no matter the length of trip/type of activities. I once did blown formal (long white gloves and the whole nine yards for a royal command performance in London) and hiking in the country all out of a 21 inch bag.

On a cruise, you don't need true formal, more just dressy, but you do need more of them. So I would plan my "formal" outfits around separates -- black crushed velvet or crepe skirt and a variety of dressy tops to go w/ it. And dressy heeled sandals take up almost no room in a suitcase.
Jan 2nd, 2005, 10:34 PM
pat

Of course you can! I take a simple black dress and just accesorize it in different ways for the dining room. Who will remember what you wore anyway?
Jan 3rd, 2005, 05:32 AM
ira

Hi z,

My last cruise was about 6 years ago.

In line with the general deterioration of standards they had to post a notice on the door of the main dining saloon that said "Bathing Suits Not Permitted at Dinner".

I don't think that you need worry about being underdressed.

Jan 7th, 2005, 09:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your answers. I think I can make do with a 26 inch rolling duffel, that my daughter usually borrows to lug her stuff back and forth from NYC. I'll still have my always packed (except for meds) backpack. I like the idea of 1 black dress and accessorize! I think thats the solution. Now all thats left is dealing with DH and his clothes should be easy. Except 1 question. Will he need more then 1 suit coat or sportcoat?
Jan 8th, 2005, 06:12 AM
ira

Hi z,

>Will he need more then 1 suit coat or sportcoat?<

I sport coat 2 pair of slacks.

Feb 13th, 2005, 02:33 AM

Americans are such helpless babies with all the stuff they have to carry with them. 28" suitcases! 26" rolling duffels! 22" carry ons and back packs! 19" rollabouts! Bah--all wasteful, all overdone.

A real traveller can get by with what she/he can stuff into his/her pockets and a sandwich-size Glad Bag.
Feb 13th, 2005, 04:57 AM
ira

Or, tie everything in a bandana and carry it over your shoulder on a stick.

Feb 13th, 2005, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

Rufus T, I just left you some info on another thread. Sandwich baggie, huh? You sound just like my Dad (who was the most wonderful character). He would go on business trip for a nite or 2 and wear a sportcoat. In 1 pocket was socks, in the other clean underwear. Inside pocket had a comb and toothbrush. Once he forgot his teeth and was late getting to the airport so he just went without them! Maybe you have the right idea. My dad's been gone 6 years and we have a million stories like that. Rufus, are your kids going to have great stories to tell about you? A sandwich bag, HAH!!!
Feb 13th, 2005, 04:25 PM

For years I did travel light, but then I got married. Mrs. Fly is not a believer in travelling light, at least not when there's a husband around.

So now we normally have a couple of 26 or 27 inch suitcases. One and a half for her, and one half for me.

Actually, I've found that it's not a big deal to handle two suitcases that size on most trips. I suppose when we get a bit older, it will become an issue.
Feb 13th, 2005, 06:26 PM

Oh Ira...thank you!!! I just had the best laugh off your post!!! I had tears running down my face....truly!!!