Alabama Gulf Coast in April

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19th, 2004, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK a family vacation in April. I've found a neat looking spot in Gulf Shores but the kids are expecting a beach vacation: swimming in the gulf, wave runners, maybe parasailing, etc. Is it going to be too cold? I've looked up the avg April air and H2O temps, but real life experience is what I need. Thanks.
Old Jan 20th, 2004, 04:58 AM

Katdruben,

Certainly later April will yield warmer temps, but the Gulf is usually swimmable by the middle of the month. If you're even a little hardy...either way the beaches will be fabulous as always.

Most of the vendors like parasailing might not be operating by then. Check out www.gulfshores.com for some good info.

Where are you staying down here?
Old Jan 20th, 2004, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

We haven't booked yet, but plan on staying at The Beach Club in Gulf Shores. Any suggestions?
Old Jan 20th, 2004, 12:53 PM

The Beach Club is an excellent property! Nine pools, health club, massages, good restaurant. Only thing is that it's out in the boonies, which some people like and others don't. I personally like it because the beaches are so uncrowded.

Except for the restaurant on site, you'll need to drive to Gulf Shores or Orange Beach. Some good choices are Original Oyster House (older crowd), Coconut Willie's, Rafters Sports Bar and Grill, Mikee's...all in Gulf Shores.

In Orange Beach try Live Bait, Care Grazie, Louisiana Lagniappe, Mango's and Tacky Jacks.
Old Jan 20th, 2004, 12:54 PM

That's "Cafe Grazie"...not "Care Grazie", doh!
Old Jan 20th, 2004, 02:04 PM
Original Poster

og719: Thanks for the great input. I'll be sure to post a trip report.
Old Jan 25th, 2004, 12:29 PM

How does Gulf Shores compare to the Biloxi beach and tourist area?

Also, is it possible to drive to Pensacola from any of these spots, for just a day trip?
Old Jan 25th, 2004, 03:55 PM
dln

Katdruben--you'll love the Beach Club! It is one gorgeous piece of property. The restaurant is excellent. Try to eat outside on the deck. We really like the way it is far away from the main drag, because it's so peaceful and relaxing,but make sure you have everything you need for the kitchen (if you're planning on doing any cooking) because the grocery isn't exactly around the corner.

Audra, from Gulf Shores you can easily make a day trip into Pensacola. Go for it! Pensacola has lots to offer and makes for a nice little side trip.

Old Jan 25th, 2004, 04:04 PM

Not sure how old your children are, but if you take a trip over to Pensacola there is a great museum at the naval air base--really great for a rainy day. On certain days of the week, you can go and see the blue angels while they are practicing. We go to Gulf Shores every summer and went once during spring break in early April. The water was a little cool but the beaches are not crowded at all. I believe most of the wave runner and parasailing places may not open up until Memorial Day weekend. Check out gulfshores.com. Have a great trip.