Gulf Coast: Alabama or Mississippi

Jan 18th, 2002, 07:46 AM
Jodie

Gulf Coast: Alabama or Mississippi

Heading for the Gulf Coast for the first time with two kids and my mom in tow. Want a week at the beach. Can you recommend a nice place in Alabama or Mississippi in early April?

Jan 18th, 2002, 08:11 AM
Yuck

I'd stay away from Alabama and Mississippi beaches. They are always having sewage problems and have to close the beaches. Try Florida, its not too far from Mississippi. Gulf Shores comes to mind.

Jan 18th, 2002, 08:59 AM
Bob Brown

The section from Destin to Panama City has good beaches. Try Grayton Beach.
I have not been there in years, but it was at one time wide, white, and pretty.

Jan 18th, 2002, 09:01 AM
susan

I agree with the above poster that the beaches in Mississippi aren't the best. But we stayed at the Perdido Beach Resort in Orange Beach a few years ago and liked it a lot. It's just beyond Gulf Shores (which is in Alabama, by the way)
almost on the border of Florida. As a rule, though, the beaches in Florida are much better. You need to also be aware that it could still be cool that time of the year. I checked out the early part of April on weatherunderground.com and the temps were in the upper sixties and low seventies.

Jan 18th, 2002, 10:00 AM
Barbara

We live on the al. gulf coast and i have never heard of a sewage spill before. The al. beaches are by far prettier than miss. beaches(not as dark and grainy) However, the further you get into Fl. you also get the pretty blue/green water that we do not have. The perdido beach resort or the island house would be good choices. there is a nice place called the beach club on the west side of gulf shores that is very nice. this area is more secluded and not so built up as the other if your looking for a quite trip.

Jan 18th, 2002, 11:15 AM
Ang

While growing up my family had a condo in Orange Beach, AL which we went to every year. the area is very nice and cleaner then the Mississippi beaches.

Please note Gulf Shores is NOT in Florida but is in Alabama and is minutes from Orange Beach. Orange Beach is more a condo community and Gulf Shores a hotel and attraction community. They are right there together!

You will not be able to swim in April however! The water will still be VERY cold and the outdoor temps will be about 70 degrees. It is a nice area but there is not much to do other than the beach so it is still pretty dead in April.

Jan 18th, 2002, 11:39 AM
terry

Yes it will be cool in April, and the ocean will be freezing cold. I also suggest the Destin/Seaside/Panama City Beach area -- much to do and see, especially Panama City Beach.

Jan 18th, 2002, 12:17 PM
Larry

You do not want to go to mississippi. trust me. The nice beaches you are probably envisioning begin in alabama and go east. Orange beach in Alabama (a 5 minute drive to the florida line) and 5-10 miles east of gulf shores (which, again, is in alabama) is very nice. I recommend a place called Sea Chase. It has 4 swimming pools, one of which is heated and therefore the kids can swin even if its cold. Destin /seaside in florida is also nice but panama city is a redneck dump, I'd stay away. So, go to orange beach or destin and between those i would favor orange beach.

Feb 11th, 2002, 10:54 PM
Tracy

I have grown up going to the panhandle beaches at least twice per year. I used to love Destin, but it has gotten way too busy. I prefer Sandestin on down...Grayton Beach, for example. It is not nearly as crowded as Destin and Ft. Walton, and has much better restaurants than Orange Beach/Guld Shores.

Feb 14th, 2002, 01:03 PM
Sarah

ttt

Feb 14th, 2002, 01:24 PM
connie

My sister went to Port St. Jo (southeast of Panama City) and LOVED IT. This is a place she plans to go back to many times. Lots of different things to do there and they had a lot of the beach to themselves.

Feb 14th, 2002, 03:07 PM
Todd

There's a beautiful group of highrise condos called Beach Club just west of Gulf Shores, AL. They have a website if you want to dig for it. The complex is new and the units are great!!

Jul 7th, 2002, 08:15 PM
J J

You should stay at the Perdido Beach Resort. It has everything and is at the heart of the fun. The beach is great by the way.

Search this Thread