Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Is it beach weather in Destin Florida 1st week of April?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2004, 09:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it warm enough to go to the beach in ealry April in Destin Florida? We are driving from MN and Wanted to make the drive as short as possible and thought Destin looked nice.We just want to be pretty sure it will be swimming weather.Also any suggestions on where to stay in Destin,or Fort Walton Beach area?Thanks.
Old Mar 6th, 2004, 06:45 AM

I've never stayed down there. I stay with family in Panama City Beach. Or in Seaside where you can rent a house.

As for the water temperature, it's not warm enough for me. Floridians prefer to go in the water when it's warmer. Memorial Day marks the beginning of Florida's own beach season for us locals. But maybe for folks from MN it will be just dandy in April. We really don't know what you will tolerate for the pleasure of taking a dip in the Gulf after having come all that way.
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 02:51 PM

We're from Illinois and have visited the Destin and Panhandle area several times in late March and early April. The water can be chilly but depending on how warm and sunny the day was we swam quite a bit. Having said that we have weeks where the temps were in the high 70's to low 80's and weeks in the 60's.

In Destin we have stayed 3 times at Destin Pointe. It's a combination of a condo building and homes for rent. Destinpointe.com. We have stayed in Seaside and further down the coast in Cape San Blas. We are beach lovers which is why we have contined to go back, they are really nice. Good luck.
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 06:42 PM

Nancym is right. Destin Pointe is a great place to stay. We were there last August and would go back again.
Old Mar 14th, 2004, 04:06 PM

Couple questions about Destin Pointe:

What is the area like in June? Does it get too hot to be comfortable?

How far is the beach from the rentals?

What is the pool like?

Looking for a lazy beach vacation for the kids and my wife...

Thanks,

Stash
Old Mar 14th, 2004, 05:01 PM

Stash--weather in June should be great, but I enjoy hot weather so I never really notice the heat. I assume there will be a lot of tourists since most schools are out in June. Highway 98 can get congested so try to avoid turning left w/o a light.

Destin Pointe has several cottages and homes to rent, some of which are right on the beach--very nice. Magnolia House is a 6 story building with condos. We stayed in 106 which overlooks one of the two pools at Destin Pointe. The pools are clean--one is near the Gulf and the other is by Magnolia House. There is a tram that runs every 15 minutes from Magnolia House to the Gulf beach. That is very handy when you're loaded down with beach bags, etc. The Gulf beach has complimentary beach chairs and umbrellas. Must mention that DP sits along East Pass and the jetties, so you have a choice of beach areas. Our kids loved DP and it's a gated property in a safe area, so they were able to take the tram by themselves. Hope this info helps!
Old Mar 14th, 2004, 05:25 PM

Does anyone know if (or where) we might internet access in Destin? Is there a Kinkos, or public library nearby?
We'll be there in April also.
Thank you!
Old Mar 14th, 2004, 06:42 PM

I'm here in the panhandle, and earlier today it was almost 80. Chances are three weeks from now it will be just as warm, if not warmer. The water may still be a little chilly but still swimable. I'd recommend renting a beach house in Destin, Santa Rosa Beach, Seaside or Seagrove Beach. They are all right next to each other and are all nice. Usually you can get a great house for the price of a nice hotel. If money's no object, check out Watercolors-it is beautiful.
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 06:59 PM

Question for srj9920 - You mention that the water will be chilly but swimable - How about snorkeling? Too cold? Are there inlets around Destin that you would recommend?
Old Mar 16th, 2004, 04:47 PM

I'm sure you'd be able to snorkel, but there's not much to see in the Gulf. There aren't many reefs, just wrecks that you will have to take a boat out to.