COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

April East Coast Beach Stay

Old Feb 14th, 2008, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

April East Coast Beach Stay

April Week
Couple & Dog
Beach Front rental
Quiet oceanfront
any help?
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 09:08 AM

They'll all be quiet in April, unless you go to Florida, but the Outer Banks is probably a fairly good bet, as it is still off-season, and somewhat less likely to be really cold than points farther north. Jersey, for example, could be 35 and snowing, or 85 and sunny, depending on the mood of the weather. You might be chilly in NC in April, but I think (Carolina Fodorites correct me if I'm wrong) that snow is unlikely.
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 10:03 AM
Cassandra

Snow in April on the OBX (Outer Banks)? Very unlikely. However, although the air and land might be warm and the temp. in 70s or even 80s, the water will still be cold from the winter.

One of my favorite times to go out there -- I like Wrightsville on the south and Duck or Corolla on the north) -- but only hardy northerners who are used to swimming in cold water will do that. I'm happy sitting watching the waves and would love to have a dog to chase the frisbee. However, be careful to find out what dog-on-beach policies are -- some parts of NC are very strict about it. The realtors will help on that score.

You might also consider SC or Georgia, but Myrtle Beach isn't what I'd call quiet and some of the Georgia beach areas are very upscale resort-y.

Do you care whether you have a fancy place with amenities like jacuzzi and TV, or would you rather be in a somewhat older, established beach community?

Old Feb 14th, 2008, 10:09 AM

I'd also suggest the Outer Banks. The weather should be nice and if you want real peace and quiet rent a beachfront house in Salvo, Avon, or Rodanthe. Kitty Hawk will be fairly busy and in my opinion very tacky and touristy.

I also second a big huge NO to Myrtle Beach. It is one of my absoulte least favorites destinations in the world.
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 10:23 AM

I'll send thet no to Jersey. The water will still be in the 40s-50s in April and really doesn't warm up until late August.
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 10:42 AM

Myrtle Beach is great in April...80's and very few tourists. I live here.
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 10:43 AM

It never really warms up in Jersey. It's slightly less icy in late August or early September, but it never is what most people think of as warm. I just had my feet in the surf at St. Augustine less than a week ago, and I swear the water was no colder than it is on the shore in July.
Jersey beaches are nice, but not really for swimming unless you like cold water.
Old Feb 29th, 2008, 04:17 PM

I would agree with the Outer Banks. You can get a great deal on a place that is dog friendly and it's uncrowded enough to have room on the beach with your dog. Much better leash laws than many areas though they do vary from town to town. Most are rather lax in the winter though.