Reload this Page >

AIRPORT TRANSFER FROM DULLES

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 05:09 AM
DAVE

My wife and I are travelling to Washington DC (Dulles Airport) in late June and find the airport transfer situation either expensive or extremely time consuming, as we will be going to and from the airport 4 times during our trip to the US has anybody got any ideas.

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 05:34 AM
LL

Would like to help but not sure exactly what the problem/question is. Are you asking how to get into DC from Dulles or how to get to another airport or whether to stay near Dulles overnight or what? How about some more details.

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 05:36 AM
r-travels

Want rock bottom pricing? The Metrobus #5A makes trips between Dulles, the Rosslyn Metro Station, and L'Enfant Plaza, and will cost $1.10. Travel times ~ 35 min to Rosslyn, ~50 to L'Enfant.

Of course, if you're loaded down with multiple bags, this is not an option, but if your 4 trips are to meet others arriving, or to pickup/dropoff a car, etc, and each rider carrys only 1 piece of baggage, this is an option.

I've never taken this bus, but I did receive good comments about it from a party to whom I'd pointed this out last fall. Metro's website is http://www.wmata.com Good luck.

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 05:36 AM
r-travels

Want rock bottom pricing? The Metrobus #5A makes trips between Dulles, the Rosslyn Metro Station, and L'Enfant Plaza, and will cost $1.10. Travel times ~ 35 min to Rosslyn, ~50 to L'Enfant.

Of course, if you're loaded down with multiple bags, this is not an option, but if your 4 trips are to meet others arriving, or to pickup/dropoff a car, etc, and each rider carrys only 1 piece of baggage, this is an option.

I've never taken this bus, but I did receive good comments about it from a party to whom I'd pointed this out last fall. Metro's website is http://www.wmata.com Good luck. (there is no x in my e-ddress)

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 04:00 AM
LL

I'm sorry if i didn't make it a bit more clearer. We are stopping in Washington for 2 nights in the George Adams district on our outward journey to Las vegas and another 3 nights when returning from Vegas to England, that is why it is 4 trips to and from the airport. I know you may think that I may look a bit tight with my cash but with reports of taxis costing up to $60 each way it soon adds up and leaves less cash to spend on enjoying the USA. Thanks for your message

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 06:07 AM
kwl

I live in the area and have never heard of the George Adams district, but would assume it's in DC. You can always rent a car, which would be a little cheaper than $60 taxis. Though I'm having a hard time believing $60 each way for a taxi from Dulles to DC. Hopefully someone else can help a little more.

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 06:39 AM
George

Could that be the Adams-Morgan district in DC?

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 07:04 AM
Christina

If you are staying in Adams Morgan, that is not a good choice of place to stay for a visitor because there is no metro line there and public transportation is limited. I believe $60 for a cab, that wouldn't be that unusual, although probably more like $45-50 but that is a lot of money for four trips. THe airport has a website that gives details and options for all forms of transportation, including the above bus, shuttle to metro stop (as I said, unfortunately, if you are in Adams Morgan, no metro stop is nearby), cab (plus cost estimates) and group shuttle vans. I'd suggest you choose the Super Shuttle if you have too much baggage for the bus to L'Enfant (from where you would need a cab, but it would be a lot cheaper from there). The Flyer company used to have a bus to the Hilton at 16th & K, but now it looks like they only have cabs and a bus to the West Falls Church metro, I wonder why. Here's the airports URL
http://www.metwashairports.com/dulles/ground.htm

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 06:06 AM
Judy

NEW question? We are flying in and out of Dulles to Oakland CA. Staying at the Marriot Airport. Would like to spend the day in DC(Mall area). What would be the ebst way to downtown without driving?
TIA, Judy

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 08:07 AM
r-travels

Judy - it sounds like you won't be carrying baggage, so I'd definately recommend the bus, as I did in the above post. The L'Enfant Plaza stop places you just south of the area near Smithsonian's "Castle", for a reasonable amount of time and definately a reasonble price. (remove the x from my eddress to reply)