Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Can you help me find best website to find rates for open jaw flights?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 07:33 AM
kk

I'm trying to help a friend find a good fare (if possible) around Christmastime out of Dulles or BWI into Oakland. Then they'd like to rent a car and drive to Santa Maria and fly back east from there. Is there one website that I can do that all on (I was having trouble using Orbitz the other day and got frustrated)? Also does anyone know which car rental agencies have good rates and little or no drop fees for one way travel within CA? Thanks for your help.

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 07:36 AM
ddd

I believe you can do open-jaw itineraries on Travelocity.

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 07:39 AM
John

Expedia, too - just go to the "advanced search" menu on flights and choose "multiple destinations."

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 07:46 AM
xx

Would you explain what open-jaw means? Thanks.

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 07:48 AM
Nancy

I have done this on American's website without any problems. As for rental car companies, you often get better rates based on what memberships you have such as Sam's club, AAA AARP or government employee rates. Call several and ask for a list of charges to make sure you can compare the rates.

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 07:51 AM
Susan

Open jaw means what kk has described here, flying into one city and out of another.

I've had good luck with Expedia doing this, however I think it might be too early for you to get the best fare for Christmas time. At least you can price it now and have an idea.

I can't imagine there are many flights out of Santa Maria, most probably head to Los Angeles first before going anywhere out of state. Can you friend drive farther to LAX or Burbank? It might be cheaper. Also, maybe Southwest flies from Santa Maria to a bigger airport. You won't get that option with Expedia, they don't deal with Southwest, but you might price that leg separately on the southwest website. Good luck!

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 07:57 AM
kk

Susan: You pose a lot of the questions I've already asked my friend. Santa Barbara is a possibility but not LAX or Burbank as they're substantially further. As it is, the drive from San Jose (where they'll be staying) to SMX is 6 hours (with 2 kids). Thanks for all your help. The frustration I had encountered with Orbitz is the same as what you're indicating about Expedia; namely, not dealing with Southwest, which I know flies in and out of SMX.
I'll do some fiddling around to see what I come up with. Thanks to everyone for their ideas. I guess I wasn't too far off track in the first place.

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 08:01 AM
Susan

kk, I can't resist a travel challenge ;-) and I checked the santa maria airport website, looks like United is really the only commercial airline flying in and out, and that's only between santa maria and LAX. Southwest doesn't go there. Santa Barbara will have more options, but still I don't see SWA flying in and out of there. I say she should push on to Santa Barbara where it will probably be cheaper. Good luck!

P.S. We drive down south all the time with our two kids and always take Hwy. 5, and it takes a bit over 6 hours to reach LAX. Just another suggestion, but hwy. 5 is boooorrrrring and the city driving once you hit LA is no fun if you aren't used to it. Coming from the DC area, they would probably be fine though!

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 08:04 AM
xx

Thanks Susan.

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 08:14 AM
kk

Susan: My friend is actually from Santa Maria and I actually met her while we were living in LA so we know the area. I checked out Travelocity and they showed United with the flights (and I thought I saw some direct either SMX-IAD or into BWI but now I can't remember because my head is spinning.) Unfortunately, the cost is prohibitive for them at around $650 pp. so I'll just keep hunting. She has said that San Luis Obispo is another option but I don't know it that's any better than SMX. Too many variables! Thanks again for your help.