Reload this Page >

Airport Security: Miami or Ft Lauderdale

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 06:39 AM
Jack

Anyone been through the Miami or Ft Lauderdale airport in the last few months? How was security? Were there long lines? I seem to remember a couple of posts back in Dec or Jan that mentioned that security at either Miami or Ft Lauderdale was a nightmare. (I realize that sometimes it depends on what day of the week and time of day, but I'm just looking for a general observation.) Thank you.

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 06:51 AM
G

Just got back from Ft.Lauderdale 10 days ago. You shouldn't have any problems. Checked my bags at curbside. Left on a Tue afternoon.

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 07:21 AM
George

There was a post in that time frame that was a real horror story about FLL. They must have cleaned up their act. We went through at the beginning of February with no problems.

A lot of times, all that's needed is for the wrong person to be harassed.

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 09:14 AM
Anon

Miami is a nightmare on any day even under normal circumstances.

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 09:20 AM
Wendy

Flew in and out of FLL a few weeks ago. No problems at all. The line was very short- departed on a Sat around 5 pm.

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 10:49 AM
amy

Flew out of Ft. Lauderdale on Monday, 6:20 a.m. flight. It took about an hour to do the whole thing, from rental car drop off, checking bags curbside, and checking in at the gate. Longest waits were waiting for security to open at 5 a.m. (no screening before that), and waiting for the gate personnel to arrive and start work, they still don't do that more than an hour before the flight is scheduled to leave apparently.

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 11:02 AM
Eva

Have been through both MIA and FLL in the last few days. Judging from those who said lines were short, it truly must depend on the day and time, because my experiences were completely different.

Consistent with past experience, MIA seemed to have its usual long lines and chaos (but at least this time, incoming immigration and customs lines were mercifully short and efficient).

On Sunday, FLL was a nightmare around noon. Lines at skycaps significant; lines at ticket counters very long and snaking through the terminal, taking an hour or more to get through; and lines at security 20+ minutes long but moving steadily. Beware, also, that some airlines will NOT let you check in more than 3 hours in advance, so if you're in line, they will make you get out and start over again within the 3 hour limit(saw lots of folks cooling their heels, waiting to get back in line).

Most people simply don't show up more than 3 hours in advance. But for the cruise ship passengers, who seemed to represent a significant portion of the lines at FLL on Sunday, timing doesn't appear to be so flexible.

Old Mar 16th, 2002, 02:35 PM
Cindy

We left Florida today (Saturday at 10:00 AM) from FLL and had no problem at all! They had a deputy sheriff with a substance sniffing dog going through our concourse, but it actually made me feel better seeing the advanced security. That didn't hold up the normal procedures a bit, and the rest of the searches, etc. were uneventful and quick. Outside of a bunch of "spring breakers" crashed EVERYWHERE (ahhhh, to be young and dumb again!), it was business as usual.

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 03:09 PM
Sue

Going thru Miami security was a real nightmare 4/22/02. I was searched at 3 different places, causing me to be the last one to board my flight & reducing me to tears. I would suggest that there is some weird kind of gender, race, & age profiling going on that smacks of reverse discrimination. This is not the place to go if you are older, caucasian, & female. Also, wouldn't it ne nice if the screeners could speak English?

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 04:54 PM
Speakingthelanguage

Being helpful and speaking English has never been a requirement to work at MIA. You got to speak Spanish and carry the 'tude to work there.

My recollection is that by November, the US Dept of Transportation is supposed to employ all the security screeners, and they're all supposed to speak English.

I'd lay some large green on a bet that the latter requirement won't be met. Don't know whether it'll be a blanket exemption, or case-by-case, with MIA a big number 1.

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 03:19 AM
Will

I flew out of Miami to S. America last week and just returned. The security checks were not long. I flew out at 7am so I am sure the time has some effect on that wait. Customs and Immigration was a very long wait when returning.