Boston-Ideas for kid-friendly vacation

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 03:05 PM
Toni

Boston-Ideas for kid-friendly vacation

We're planning a long weekend in Boston in June and will be taking our 6 year old daughter. Does anyone have suggestions for appropriate hotels, restaurants and attractions?

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 03:43 PM
AGM/Cape Cod

If you haven't read 'Make Way for Ducklings' with her do before you come to Boston. Then when you get here go to the Public Gardens and see the statues of the ducklings and ride on the Swan Boats.

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 05:29 PM
aaaaaaaa

The Children's Museun would be perfect for her..She might enjoy the Science Museum. Definitely take her to Fanuel Hall marketplace. What about the Duck Tour?

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 05:43 PM
New Englander

She would get a kick out of the narrated "Duck Tour" in an amphibious vehicle - I loved it at 36! It goes through the streets and waterway, and you can steer on the water if you like. You might feel a bit silly quacking as you make your way down the street, but I'll bet your daughter would love it!
By all means, follow AGM's advise first; read the book and visit the Public Gardens. Does anyone detect a themr here?

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 05:45 PM
New Englander

OR a theme?

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 08:35 PM
Lexma90

We took our 6-year-old for a long weekend in Boston last year, and he loved it. We spent a lot of time beforehand reading books about Boston & the history of the city; there are a lot of books out there, even for kids as young as 6.

We did almost the entire Freedom Trail - he just kept going and going. We spent time at the kids' playground in Boston Common. He loved taking the T - we stayed at a hotel near a T stop, and so took it as often as we could. We watched the street performers at Fanieul Hall; the rest of that area was not very interesting too him, just stores you see anywhere. He loved the Boston Tea party ship (though the adults thought it was hokey) and Old Ironsides. He really enjoyed the Duck Tour; the captain let him and other young kids "drive" the boat while in the water. Make Way for Ducklings, while packed with other parents taking pictures of their children on the ducks, was a nice visit.

For restaurants, we ate several times in the Back Bay at ethnic restaurants that had outdoor seating, and ate lobster at Durgin Park (that's gone downhill, IMO, since we lived in Boston in the 80s). One night, we had Italian food in the North End. When walking on the Freedom Trail through that area, we stopped and had gelato & pastries.

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 07:20 AM
sandra

Don't forget the Swan boats in the Public Garden -

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 05:33 PM
mark

Here are a few things that I (a 30 yr old)enjoy in Boston that seems to also attract happy kids:

The aquarium!
The Science Museum with Omni Theatre
Jillians - during the daytime (a big arcade like Dave & Busters)
The Computer Museum is neat but kids might find it boring
The Childrens Museum is next to the Computer Museum - haven't been there
The USS Constitution - its fun to tour the old ship
Lexington/Concord just west of the city has a ton of history - revolutionary war sites plus lots of literary history for the folks
Swan boats as mentioned already is a must - just so you can say you did it when you watch Good Will
This may be gruesome but the cemetary near the Statehouse has many gravesites of people of historical significance - none of which I can think of right now

For hotels the Sheraton in Back Bay is huge and may have some deals. The omni parker house is old in an anitiquey way but in a great location near the common and also offers deals.

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 06:24 PM
mmi taylor

the butterfly exhibit at the frankin park zoo.
the street entertainers and many restaurants at Fanuel Hall,
the excursion boat on the Charles River
The Gondolas should be available by then also.
A visit to F.O. Shwatz toys on Boylston St.

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 07:18 PM
mjh

What gondolas and where will they be?

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 08:26 PM
Leslie

The gondolas on the Charles River are run by Gondola di Venezia (www.bostongondola.com). There are a few different options for a gondola ride, but the basic 55 minute ride is $30 each. You may bring your own champagne.

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 03:52 AM
xxx3

mark's ist is good, except that the Computr Museum is gone. Some of their exhibits went to the Museum of Science, which a 6-year-old would definitely enjoy. www.mos.org

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 04:27 AM
native

I just did all of this last week with my kids during school vacation! We live in the 'burbs west of Boston and they absolutely love going into the city. I would also suggest that while in the Public Gardens to have lunch at a sidewalk cafe on Newbury Street. This is the highlight of the day for my kids. We pre-purchased tickets for the Kilaminjaro I-Max show at the Museum of Science last Friday. A show on Mt. Everest (great) and a weather show was there also. Kilaminjaro was a great movie and it highlights 2 kids, 11 and 12 who made the trek. Duck Tours is a must as well as the Freedom Trail. I believe that during this tour they take you by the cemetary mentioned. I would also suggest the link here on Fodor's for family travel. There is a section specifically for Boston with kids and I assume highlights most, if not all, that has been mentioned on this thread. Good luck and have fun!