Airizona at Christmas ??!!!

Jun 20th, 2002, 01:15 AM
marie

Airizona at Christmas ??!!!

Hi
we are planning a trip (live in switzerland)and thinking Phoenix (sanctuary hotel) and then a few days in SFO
How is the weather REALLY like is this a crazy time to go there and if anyone has comments on the hotel much appreciated
thanks

Jun 20th, 2002, 06:29 AM
E.

Phoenix won't be hot in December--I would call it cool--but it will be sunny. SF will be cooler than Phoenix, and very likely rainy and/or foggy. But romantic!
Have you been to the American Southwest before? I ask because Phoenix is a sprawling suburb, OK for shopping, but not all that scenic. For a first look at the southwest, many would suggest Sedona, the Grand Canyon, or even Tucson over Phoenix. But if you have your hearts set on Phoenix, by all means, enjoy, and say "hello" to SF for me!

Jun 20th, 2002, 08:05 AM
kkj

Glad to hear you are thinking about Phoenix. We love visitors. I did want to forewarn you that it will be very crowded in Phoenix over the holidays. We have two big football bowl games during that period. One of them - The Fiesta Bowl - will be hosting the national collegiate championship. It will take place on January 3. The other game will be at the end of December. So, make your reservations early. Hotels will start booking up shortly.

I agree that you might want to consider seeing other sights as well. Particularly the Grand Canyon and Sedona.

Have a good time.

Jun 20th, 2002, 08:10 AM
phil

If you're going to stay in the Phoenix area, I suggest you look at Scottsdale. The city of Phoenix itself doesn't have much to offer (in my opinion). Your choice of a hotel depends on you -- budget, taste, etc.

Jun 20th, 2002, 09:18 AM
x

i was there at christmas about 3 years ago and spent everyday at the pool.

Jun 20th, 2002, 11:18 PM
maire

Thanks for all the great advice--if we do go for tuscon do you know of a fantastic resort there ??

Jun 21st, 2002, 04:26 AM
pf

We had a terrible experience at Sanctuary Hotel.just thought you should know!!

Jun 21st, 2002, 06:49 AM
may

The Sanctuary is not a top resort in Phoenix. If visiting for the first time, I would pass on it. You can do much better, but unfortunately winter hotel rates in PHX are quite high.
The Phoenician is the best for a first time visitor IMO.
You might even consider the Ritz Carlton. It is an anomaly of sorts since it's not really a resort, more a business hotel, but great city location next to great shopping/restaurants/great views (on the northeast side), very nice hotel....but rates are typically MUCH lower than the resorts. You won't be swimming in December anyway.
In Tucson, Loews Ventana Canyon is tops IMO. Again, great location/views.
Sedona is really a great day trip and a neat place at Christmas. Stay at Enchantment resort if you can be there overnight.
In SF there are a number of great places to stay. Depends on your budget.
Have a great time.

Search this Thread