Sedona or Flagstaff for Christmas

Old Nov 9th, 2004, 02:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sedona or Flagstaff for Christmas

My husband and I are trying to make plans to fly to Phoenix to pick up our son at Luke AFB and get him away from the base for Christmas. He can be gone the 23,24,25 and 26th. Which town would be best for Christmas Day. We want some place special to take him to eat on Christmas ( I don't know if he would wear a coat & tie), so this must be a consideration.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Theresa
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 03:27 PM

Sedona. Flagstaff is really quiet, esp. when the college is out on break. Flag is also older, while Sedona puts on a really very nice Christmas light display. But, have you considered just staying in Scottsdale? MUCH more to do. Or maybe two day in each?
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 04:56 PM
emd

I agree- Sedona. Much more festive at Christmas at Telapapaque (sp?)- whatever that place is w/the shops and restaurants. And it is much warmer than Flag. Flag is really cold and windy at that time. If you want to walk or hike, Sedona is better at that time.
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 12:14 PM

an additional concern== snow can be very bad that time of year, so Flagstaff could be a problem in that you might get snowed in and not be able to get him back to base on time. I'll still vote for Scottsdale, with 2 days in Sedona.
Old Nov 29th, 2004, 08:31 PM

Definetly SEDONA...Flagstaff is a bit dirty and more of a hippy-like slow, not much luxury type of town. It's great to kick back and take in a mountain town. Sedona is more of a luxury can always find something to do, somewhere to go and really enjoy--while also having the mountain beauties nearby. You can always drive to Flagstaff in about 25 minutes for something different. I'm sure you will all enjoy Sedona for your purpose in your trip. ENJOY...
Old Nov 29th, 2004, 10:04 PM

Definitely Sedona. There is not much to do in Flagstaff AND the trains run all night.
Old Nov 30th, 2004, 04:53 AM

I love Sedona. Period. I especially love Sedona when I have lots of $$ in my pockets.

I was recently in both towns and Flagstaff is not as bad as I have previously thought. It does have Snowbowl for skiing. That funky vibe can be refreshing after Uptown Sedona with all its tacky look-alike shops. I especially loved seeing the motel marquees writing "Welcome Aliens" etc. On the other hand, rarely have I found a town with less helpful roadway signage than Flagstaff. Once you get there, it is not easy to leave!