Search

AIRFARE

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12th, 2005, 04:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AIRFARE

Hope someone can help. We are planning a trip to Clovis New Mexico in February to see our son who will be returning from a tour or duty in Iraq. We are on a very tight budget, any advise on getting cheap air fares??? Any discounts that you know of??? Anything will help.
Old Nov 12th, 2005, 04:26 AM

Where do you live?
Old Nov 12th, 2005, 04:36 AM
Original Poster

I live in Virginia, near the WVA boarder.
Old Nov 12th, 2005, 04:41 AM
Original Poster

We used to get a pretty generous AARP discount through my husbands AARP membership, but that is not offered anymore.
Old Nov 12th, 2005, 05:13 AM

I don't know about military discounts, but you may be able to find something.

But if you just want to book as regular civilians, it'd help if you can tell us more specifically where you live. The VA/WV border is a long one. I'd be very time consuming and difficult for us to give you advise without knowing which is the closest major airport. Roanoke? Charlottesville? Washington-Dulles? Tri-City? Charleston?

Having said that, you'll probably get better pricing from a major market like Washington or Charlotte. About $350-400. From smaller airports like Roanoke, they cost more.

An alternative is Southwest from Baltimore. On many dates in Feb, you can fly BWI to Lubbock (LBB) for $232, tax included. Depending on where you live, it may be worth the drive if you can't find anything cheaper.

Also, the prices are to either Lubbock (LBB) or Amarillo (AMA). Only commerical flights to Clovis is on Great Lakes Aviation from AMA or Albuqueque. And that extra leg will cost you more.
Old Nov 12th, 2005, 05:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much!!!!!! I found a flight from BWI to ABQ for $199.06. What a blessing. I can't wait to tell my husband. You are my new best friend!!!!!
Old Nov 12th, 2005, 05:43 AM

Is that on Southwest? ABQ is a little further than LBB or AMA, but Southwest has one daily non-stop BWI-ABQ, instead of having to take 2 or 3 flights to Lubbock or Amarillo.
Old Nov 13th, 2005, 07:00 PM
Original Poster

American. I know it's a little further, but worth it with the lower cost. My son will be picking us up and hopefully we will be able to stay on base.
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 09:18 AM
LT

nurcindy:

Glad rkkwan was able to help you. I would have suggesed the same thing!

Are you driving to and parking at BWI? If so, I'd recommend Econo Park Express. They have a website (http://www.econoparkexpress.com) where you can print off a coupon and make reservations. It's MUCH chaeper than BWI's parking, and I've found the staff to be very helpful and professional.

Just be sure to give yourself plenty of time to get there & get to your gate. BWI is a big airport, and you'll have to take a shuttle to the terminal from the long-term lots. Also, the security lines are very unpredictable. Have been there & gotten right through, and have been there when the line stretches from one pier to the next!

Also, as you may know, DC traffic can be VERY unpredictable. Be sure to have a good map and listen to WTOP (107.7?) -- they give traffic updates every 10 mins.

Another thing you may want to consider is staying at a hotel nearby & seeing if you can leave your car there. Depending on how long you're gone, it may be more economical.

Hope you have a nice visit in NM!