Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

where to stay family of 5 in december los angeles

Sep 18th, 2005, 11:34 PM
Original Poster

Hi
We are a family of 5 (17,15 girls & 11boy) travelling with another family of 4 to LA to SF Los vegas then up to Canada for skiing in december/January. We are tentatively booked at the crowne plaza BH for 5 nights but have just read some reviews and am wondering whether we should change. Our transfers from airport seem to be a tad pricey too..Any suggestions for transfers to hotel Limo? taxi? shuttle bus.. We were unsure about hiring a car in LA V's public transport. We have got a car booked to go to SF after we have finished in LA hopefully by then we will be more orientated and will have figured out not to drive on the wrong side of the road!...Also any must sees in 5/7s??
cheers
carm
Sep 19th, 2005, 12:45 AM

carmi_m, oh my gosh, if you are not used to driving on the right side of the road, please don't drive in Los Angeles on vacation... We live in San Diego, California, and whenever we take a driving vacation, we have to plan the whole thing around how to avoid the hellish traffic surrounding Los Angeles. It's really NOT fun!

You don't mention what you'll be visiting in Los Angeles. Pesonally, I try to avoid LOS Angeles when possible.

Anaheim is a bit south of Los Angeles and has Disneyland and California Adventures, and January is a great uncrowded time to visit. (December near Christmas and New Years' would be crowded though probably.)

good luck planning your trip.
Sep 19th, 2005, 09:11 AM

What are you thinking of seeing in Los Angeles? If it is just Disneyland, then by all means stay in Anaheim. There are tons of suite hotels.

There are parts of LA that are well served by public transit. There is rail service to Hollywood, Universal Studios, Pasadena, and Downtown. However it does not go to Beverly Hills or Santa Monica. It just depends on what you intend on seeing.
Sep 19th, 2005, 06:04 PM
Original Poster

thanks guys,
We want to do all the obligatory things ..Disneyland, Universal studios rodeo dr beaches - all suggestions welcome! I have been writing things down as I read about them in these forums! (These are new to me I could see you could get quite addicted to them and if you had the time you would not need to use a travel agent at all!! )
Would they still be filming tv shows in Dec.?. The girls would love that.
Would it be feasible because there is a few of us to catch limos/cabs or shuttles compared to public transport or just bite the bullet and hire a car??
Should we split up our accomadation? Can you get self contained units or condos rather than hotels?? just didnt see any on tripadvisor or maybe using it wrong!
cheers
carm
Ps dont you guys sleep over there?
Sep 20th, 2005, 05:48 AM

My family enjoyed staying in Santa Monica. We had a rental car (had driven in from Las Vegas)and went to Hollywood, Beverly Hills, and Six Flags Magic Mountain that trip. Beverly Hills is worth a look, certainly, but a beach location (you can walk to Venice Beach - it's quite a 'show')may be your best bet. The Third Street Promenade in Santa Monica has a plethora of restaurants and shops and is an easy walk from most of the hotels in the area. Hotels do charge for parking and it depends on just how much you want to see in the LA area. Hiring a taxi every time you want to go somewhere may make the choice of car hire an easy one. Enjoy!
Sep 20th, 2005, 09:20 AM

You may need to temper your expectations about California and Nevada weather in December; it's desert, sure, but it's not equatorial desert, and it tends to be cool here in the winter. You can get surprises-- it can be quite hot some days-- but I wouldn't expect toasty beach weather for sunning yourselves on the sand. It will be cool-- even more so in San Francisco. Not snowy and miserable, just quite cool. Light jacket time. The drive from LA to SF up CA-1 is glorious from mid-spring to late fall; in the winter, if it's rainy it can be a chore. Plan accordingly.

Note also that the things you are thinking of seeing in "LA" (which is a loose concept and an association of over 100 cities, two counties and 4,800 square miles) are separated by miles and cities in-between; unfortunately, you may have to rent a car. Luckily, despite the traffic (America's Worst! We're Number 1!!! LOL), it's very very easy to get around southern California's well-marked street system. The highways aren't that complicated either. Note that if it rains, all rules go out the window. Like they did today when we got a monsoonal series of thunderstorms rush onshore. You ever try to calm a 4-year-old cat down at 1 AM when it experiences the first thunderclap of its young life...?

The reason it's a bit pricey to get from LAX to the hotel is simply a function of its distance from LAX: about 12 miles. For such a large number of people, I would just suck it up and get a few cabs, unless you go ahead and rent cars.

That hotel is fine for what it is: a business hotel, a little removed from the tourist stuff in Beverly Hills, but pretty nice.

Santa Monica is the beach community everyone thinks of as quintessential LA (despite the fact it's a separate city), but it's fairly expensive and can be a bear to get into and out of. Venice Beach is fun on a warm summer's weekend day-- less so when it's winter and a little blustery on the coast. Melrose Avenue, however, is a funky slice of LA-- more rock-and-roll and Goth than snooty Ladies Who Lunch-- and between strolling its shops and taking a long spin through Fred Segal in West Hollywood, your girls will have quite a fun shopping break. The boy might enjoy a trip up to the Guitar Center in Hollywood-- all sorts of famous musicians are in and out of its doors all the time-- or the Petersen Automotive Museum in the Museum Row section of LA.

The Getty Center is spectacular from an architectural standpoint (stunning Richard Meier design), and the views are great; the standing art collection is famously spotty, but they get stellar visiting exhibitions, so even from that standpoint it's worth a visit.

Universal Studio? Only if you spring for VIP tours, where you get a real appreciation of the fact that it's still a working movie studio. Otherwise, the vaunted "studio tour" is a glorified time-filling tram ride until you get to the Theme Park, which has become the entire point of the facility.

TV show tapings? Maybe game shows or talk shows, although some sitcoms may still be taping. Check out Audiences Unlimited at www.tvtickets.com, and note that they may only have tickets for 30 days out (after all, the show might get cancelled!).
Sep 20th, 2005, 02:20 PM

Jimmy Kimmel live tickets:
http://www.1iota.com/show.aspx?sid=1
Their schedule for December would not be up yet.

They film right across from the Hollywood/Highland Red Metro stop. Actually the Hollywood Renaissance Hotel is right there too. You might look into staying there for a night or two if you really don't want to drive. You can access Universal Studios, star home tours, etc. readily from this location.
Sep 20th, 2005, 03:18 PM

mlgb's suggestion of a couple of nights at the Hollywood Renaissance is a good one. That's just about the only hotel I'd stay at in Hollywood (anyone heard if the Roosevelt's reno is any good?).
Sep 20th, 2005, 08:03 PM

With all those people, rent a car. Take it slow to start. It's actually much easier than you think. L.A. is on a grid system, so when you go around the block, you are really going around the block, not like in England when you might end up in Canterbury. You will want an automatic. The roads are wide compared to England (if this is where you are from) and there are almost no roundabouts. You might even get a car equipped with one of those -- oh, what are they called that have the maps and the voices telling you to turn right or left at the corner? Crowne Plaza is okay, and there's a Lowes right down the block on Pico if you prefer. Maybe the Hilton in BH, they often do deals.
Nov 14th, 2005, 10:31 AM

Hi C M!!

I am an Australian who is currently in Calgary, Alberta and hopefully about to head out into the mountains of BC.

Well, I was in LA in 2003, and an American friend and I hired 150cc scooters for a day and went around Hollywood, Bel Air, ect.. At first I was a bit trepidatious about riding a scooter on the wrong side of the road in a big city...ok, make that quite trepidatious. But, actually it wasn't too bad at all, and when I when I flew back to NZ two days later, I found it strange to be on the left again. Its up to you though of course, and I had been in the US for 3 weeks already so had been in busses, ect. therefore my mind was probably getting accustomed to it.
I got a shuttle bus from the airport to the first hostel, which is probably the best way that I know of to carry all your luggage for 5 people in public transport. Although, it cost me about $ 20 for one person if I remember correctly but you could probaby get a good deal for 5 of you.
If I can help you with anything here in Canada, just let me know at [email protected] . I am hoping to hire a car with a friend (who unlike me is over 25 and look at a few places in BC.
All the best!

Angus