Search

Good fare price from DC?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18th, 2004, 04:42 PM
tlc
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good fare price from DC?

After some agonizing, I have booked an open jaw flight to Italy in mid-May (into Rome, out of Venice) for $514 from Dulles. Can someone tell me if this is a good deal? It was down from $624 over the weekend. From what I'd read here, I thought I should jump on it. I, too, like to be in the 3% that gets the good deals... but at some point, you just have to go for it!!
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 04:56 PM

If this is a non-refundable flight, it's water under the bridge at this point. I guess you just want reassurance that you made a good decision. If the flights meet most of your criteria, i.e., time, the cities you want to fly in/out of, at $514 Washington to Italy, sounds good to me. I'm on the East Coast also, and I may be missing something, but I don't see fares in May much below that price.

Enjoy your trip...I'm jealous.
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 05:31 PM
tlc
Original Poster

DH and I are going back and forth over the fact that the return flight leaves Venice at 6:25 am and we would have to pay for a water taxi to bring us to airport in a timely manner. But yes, I was looking for affirmation that it is a good price. You see, first time to Italy and all.... this is a huge learning experience for me.
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 05:37 PM
rex

You did well.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 04:57 AM

$514 is a reasonable price. It's always possible that a somewhat lower price sale will come along, but who knows? Even if a sale did come along, you can't be sure you'd see it in time to take advantage of it. It's like bottom fishing for stocks--some people never buy because no matter what the price is they think it might go lower.

Our philosphy has always been to look at some price history for the flights we want, figure out what seems a reasonable, affordable price for us, and then buy when it hits that price. If it doesn't hit that price, we go somewhere else on vacation.
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 05:21 AM

I booked a flight from Newark to Shannon for May and cost $615. It is now down to $505, and AA refunded the difference. You just have to keep checking. They're not going to tell you, but if you tell them, they'll refund the difference.

I'm looking at Tuscany in September, and the prices are between $700-800. I'd jump on the $514 and hope that it goes down even further.
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 06:39 AM
JonJon

WRONG ANSWER...they will not always "refund the difference"..it depends on the airline. United, for example, will give you back the difference in the form of voucher coupons youcan use for another United flight.
You did OK I think BECAUSE you got the flight you wanted, WHEN you wanted it, at the TIME you wanted it, etc.
Air fares are not going to go down when the cost of everything else in life routinely rises. I remember when I though $400 was a "high" price to pay for a trans-Atlantic flight and those days have long gone.
Now, concentrate on other, more important issues.

Old Feb 19th, 2004, 07:02 AM

I've never had a problem getting refunded the difference, especially in the world of e-tickets.

I think it would behoove tlc to check with the particular airlines offering the fare to see if they would honor the reduced fare, if it should come about. I did, and that's how I got my answer.

I would be interested in hearing "your" personal experiences, jonjon, then you can explain what you consider the other, more important issues we all should be concentrating on. Thank you very much for your insights.

Old Feb 19th, 2004, 08:48 AM

Budman, I'm intrigued by the idea/possibility that airlines will give you -- in whatever form -- the difference between the fare you purchase and a later reduced fare? Never heard of such a thing! How does this work? I thought that when you buy a ticket, that's it. It never occurred to me that an airline would say okay, we'll give you the lower fare, for example, when I've bought a discounted nonrefundable ticket. If so, I have certainly been missing out and would like to know for the future. Thanks.
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 10:34 AM

tlc-I think it is a good price. I have been checking airfare for awhile now and the prices seem to be going up. I am going to europe in June and the lowest I have found is 712.00 from Boston. Like you- I keep waiting for that "sale". Have a good trip!
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 10:51 AM

gabriele...This has happened to me frequently.And it varies from one airline to the next.Some will actually credit your credit card.Otehrs will issue travel vouchers for future travel.Others may even charge a fee to reissue the ticket,which may or may not result in a savings.You just have to watch the fare, and ask.All they can is say no.But it has not happened to me that way...