Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Critique Rome/Venice/Florence itinerary; train question

Feb 18th, 2004, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

Hi. I have kind of a unique situation for my upcoming trip to Italy. My husband and I will be celebrating our 1 year wedding in Venice, but one of the main reasons we're going when we're going is that my 16 year old niece is in school in Rome for 1/2 of her junior year in HS. Anyway, here's what I've got so far; your suggestions/comments/advice will be greatly appreciated!!!!

Friday, March12. Arrive Rome. Stay at Casa Kolbe. Spend most of weekend touring Rome with my niece.
Monday, March 15 (our anniversary!). Train to Venice. Stay at Casa Rezzonico.
Weds, March 17. Train to Florence (or small town outside?).
Sunday, Mar 21. Train to Rome. Stay at my niece's school (room is in a dorm; I can do this for 2 nights, but not all 5 in the city! )
Tuesday, Mar 23. Fly home.

Any comments or suggestions about the above will be wonderful, but were I have the biggest question is Florence. The catch is this - we'll have my niece with us for the weekend while we're there. On the Friday in the middle of our time in Florence we'll need to take the train to Rome to pick her up and take the train back. I would kind of like to stay in a town outside of Florence, but are there any of them that we can get to Rome from easily? I looked at Lucca, and the one-way train to Rome is over 3 hours, so we'd spend about 7 hours on the train to and from Rome to get my niece. So, are any towns on the train route between Rome and Florence that would be nice to stay in? Or should we just stay in Florence and take the train out for a day, say to Lucca?

Thanks for all your help! This forum is wonderful, and I really appreciate all the time everyone spends posting trip reports and answering questions.

Kathy
Feb 18th, 2004, 08:19 AM
rex

Your itinerary seems fine. Well-thought out to me.

The chiuce that springs immediately to mind is Arezzo. 32 minutes out from Florence, 76 minutes from Rome - - it is, in fact, that the eurostar Florence-Rome makes (at least for some departures of the day, such as the 6:40 am Florence departure; leaves Arezzoo at 7:14, arrives Rome at 8:30).

You could be EASILY be back to Florence with her for lunch - - even an early one if you choose.

Best wishes,

Rex
Feb 18th, 2004, 08:50 AM
rex

I have seen this more than once lately -- this post shows up as "0 responses" - - and yet clearly my response is here (I even cut and pasted one of them the other day, to show that I was not making this up).

Not a big glitch, but puzzling.

Feb 18th, 2004, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

Rex, thanks for the info. Now I'm torn!

I did some more research, and it looks like it would be doable to stay in either Chiusi or Orvieto and do a day trip or 2 into Florence, and still be easy to get my niece in Rome. Does the following make sense?????

We'd take the train from Venice to Orvieto or Chiusi late afternoon Weds. Go to Florence on Thursday, Friday morning wandering around then train to Rome for my niece. Back to Florence with her on Saturday. Most of Sunday in town (Orvieto or Chiusi) before all taking the train back to Rome late afternoon.

What does everyone think; should we do the above or stay in Florence? If the above, Orvieto or Chiusi and what hotel if we are going by train?

Thanks!

Kathy
Feb 18th, 2004, 12:25 PM
rex

You plan is sound; my plan makes it easier/faster to get to Florence. I cannot compare Arezzo itself to Orvieto. Haven't ever set foot in either.

I don't think either plan is flawed in any significant way.
Feb 18th, 2004, 12:53 PM

Hi Kathy,

Regarding your Florence-Rome-Florence train question, maybe I misunderstand what you are trying to accomplish. Eurostar trains between Florence and Rome only take about 1:37 each way. Are you looking for a day-trip location on the way from Florence to Rome or an alternative place to sleep?

Maybe Bobthenavigator will see this post and respond. He usually has great suggestions for this type question (not that Rex doesn't).
Feb 18th, 2004, 12:55 PM

Significant flaw: With getting to and from the train station, you basically have 1 or 1-1/2 days in Venice. It's really a waste of your time and money to go that far for basically an extended day trip. I'd either take two days from Florence (my least favorite Italian city) or save Venice for your next trip.
Feb 18th, 2004, 01:09 PM

A 16 year old who is already in school in Rome might be quite comfortable taking the train to Florence alone. I would be surprised if she hasn't already taken trains in Italy as part of her program. If necessary, have some one drive her to the train station and make sure she's on the correct train. You can then meet her at the train station in Florence. Of course it's possible that there are some provisions in the exchange program that don't allow this...
Feb 18th, 2004, 01:44 PM
ira

Hi kathy,

I agree with marija. Your niece can take the train herself. School kids in Italy ride the trains every day, to and from school.
Feb 18th, 2004, 06:57 PM
Original Poster

Rex - thanks for your input. It's just that, from what I've read, Arezzo is not as appealing to me as Orvieto and Chiusi are.

Rookie - sorry, it is a bit confusing. My question is whether to stay in Florence and do 1-2 day trips out or to stay in Orvieto or Chiusi and do 1-2 day trips in to Florence. Having to go to Rome to pick up my niece in the middle of our 4 days in Tuscany makes things difficult.

Rufus - I may yet talk my husband into one more night in Venice. But if I can't, we'll get there as early as we can on Monday and leave late afternoon Weds. so we'd have 2 full days. And we're actually looking forward to the time to makeout on the train.

Kathy
Feb 19th, 2004, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

ira and Marija - yes, the school requires me to sign her out in person since it's for the weekend and they are responsible for her while she's away from home. Unfortunately we have no choice about the extra roundtrip to Rome. I'm just trying to figure out how to maximize the limited time around that.

Thanks,
Kathy