Deruta from Rome or Florence?

Old Jan 24th, 2007, 07:25 PM
Original Poster

Deruta from Rome or Florence?

Which is easier...going to Deruta via Rome or Florence. I need to do some Major shopping. Can I do this in a one day train trip or would it be easier to stay overnight. I'm concerned about travel time from either Rome or Florence and I'm sure I'll need at least eight full hours to shop!
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 02:21 PM

I hope you get a response to this one. I want to drive from Rome to Deruta on our way to Assisi. We will only have the day to shop in Deruta and do Assisi before needing to be in Florence by 6o ish????

If you get any info please share!
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 04:11 PM

You may have to get out a map to follow our route, but when we went to Deruta we were staying in Orvieto about an hour northwest of Rome. We left early in the morning - maybe 8-ish - drove on S418 to Spoleto for the morning and lunch, up to Assisi on S3 for just a short stay, picked up S75 towards Perugia, then down E45 to Deruta by early afternoon. We shopped the upper stores first - went into each, bought a few pieces in a couple (they really are spectacular). On the way out of town we shopped the stores in the lower section. Nice enough, but the difference in quality - and price - are apparent. I tell you all this to explain that it's easily do-able if you go directly from either Rome or Florence. According to mapquest Deruta is about equidistant from each - about 1 hr 43 minutes. The secondary roads on the southern approach were very easy to drive and quite picturesque.