Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Two 16 year old English girls - Cheapest flights to US

Feb 21st, 2004, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

My daughter and a friend are planing to spend just over two weeks in Philadelphia from late July - staying with a relative of the friend.

I cannot find a direct airfare for less than £538. Even routes with one or two changes are only slightly cheaper than that.

Is there a cheaper option?
The only direct routes appear to be BA from London Heathrow and US Airways from London Gatwick. The Washington fares apppear to be the same.

Many thanks for your help.

Rick
Feb 21st, 2004, 11:55 AM
sandi

Did you check whether the airline has "student" fares? Some do.

Feb 21st, 2004, 01:42 PM
yk

Rick-

Unfortunately, late July is the highest of the high season. You can shop around, but I doubt it will be much cheaper. Did you try the student travel agents? (something like STA Travel)

The other close-by International airports from Philadelphia are either BWI (Baltimore-Washington International) or EWR (Newark). You might find slightly cheaper fares to EWR due to more carriers competing for the NY market. However, note that the travel cost from either BWI or EWR to Philadelphia is not cheap.

Just think of it this way, £ is so much stronger now, that would be your discount!
Feb 21st, 2004, 02:08 PM
yk

Rick-

I meant to add also:

1. Yes, only BA & USAirways fly nonstop from London to Philadelphia.

2. If your daughter's friend's relative is willing to drive to EWR or BWI to pick them up, then maybe it's worth seeing if the plane tix are significantly cheaper for those airports. Mind you, the drive to EWR or BWI is 1.5hrs each way (without traffic).
Feb 21st, 2004, 11:27 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the replies sandi and yk

I have tried STA and just looked at the Washington and Newark prices - they all seem to come out at roughly the same amount. No luck either with searches for student discounts.

I did wonder whether it would be cheaper to book thru a US site and pay in dollars but no joy there either.

Rick
Feb 22nd, 2004, 04:22 PM

Have you checked with KLM, student fares are approx. 350 pounds around that time from Amsterdam. You would have to ad the London to Amsterdam flight, but they are very cheap on the discount carriers. Easy jet, etc.
Feb 22nd, 2004, 07:34 PM
yk

Rick-
I have a feeling that it might be a bit too early right now to buy a ticket for late July. The fares might come down a bit if you wait.
Feb 22nd, 2004, 10:49 PM
Abi

Have you tried pricing fares into New York JFK. It's often cheaper to fly into JFK than Philadelphia. Even Newark (EWR) is a good option. From JFK or Newark there are door to door shuttle services for about $75-80 roundtrip. An additional option from Newark is to take the Airtrain from the airport to the Newark Airport Amtrak station and then take Amtrak to Philadelphia 30th Street Station. The student fare is $90 roundtrip.
Mar 1st, 2004, 03:12 AM

http://www.cheapflights.co.uk/flight...rea/index.html

High season is difficult. But there are carriers that the likes of STA, travelocity etc will not touch.

I am talking about Ethiopian Airlines, Air India and Aeroflot. These airlines cross the Atlantic (as do some charters) and if you look on this site you can see flights for £275 or so.

Just shop around...