Air Force Academy Colorado Springs

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2004, 04:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My son is interested in attending the Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs. We would like to make a visit there this summer to check the place out. Do any of you know if the campus is open for visitation? ( I heard somewhere that it was closed after 9/11) Also, is there enough to do around Co. Springs that we should stay in a hotel there, or should we stay somewhere else? Thanks,
Suse
Old May 11th, 2004, 04:11 PM
DB

><
The U.S. Air Force Academy (USAFA) is open to visitors daily between the hours of 5:30 a.m. and 6:00 p.m., or until one hour after USAFA-sponsored special events conclude, whichever is later. Visitors must use the North Gate Entrance, exit 156B on Interstate 25.

For general information about visiting the Academy, please call the Visitor Center Information Desk at (719) 333-2025.
Old May 11th, 2004, 06:06 PM

You can visit the Olympic Training facility, there will be all kinds of athletes training there now. Also, the Garden of the Gods is spectacular.
Old May 11th, 2004, 06:25 PM

When we were there we stayed at the Embassy Suites in Colorado Springs. The Garden of the Gods is spectacular as Shon has said. We also went down a silver mine and visited an Anastaszi (sp!) Indian cliff dwelling "village". Very interesting tour at the USAF Academy as well. Denver is not that far away. Overall a great family vacation.
Old May 11th, 2004, 07:18 PM

I assume NORAD is off limits. Anyone know if there are any tours there?
Old May 12th, 2004, 07:22 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Garden of the Gods was beautiful (I was there in December) and you are close by the railway to go up Pike's Peak which was hands down the most amazing thing I've ever done. That's worth a few hours itself.
Old May 12th, 2004, 03:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you. You certainly have answered my questions. We'll start with the Academy (praying that he'll be accepted!). The Gardens of the Gods and Indian cliff village sound cool and we'll definatley do Pike's Peak (it's really that amazing, huh?). I never even thought of the Olympics, what a great idea. sgorces: We might be able to get into NORAD, but then I think they'd have to kill us!!!!(Don't know how to add the cute smiley faces that wink) I am even going to look into the Embassy, although I've heard there is an excellent resort nearby that I'm going to check out, too. You have all been a great help. We are going to be visiting family in Texas, then driving to Co. Springs, so if any of you have any ideas of what to do on the way, please add!!!
Suse
Old May 12th, 2004, 06:56 PM

Here is the link to the faces:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/smileys/

As for getting into the Air Force Academy, you son will need a lot more than praying! My nephew had been planning since his freshman year in High School to get into the Air Force Academy but just found out last month he didn't get in. He even was interviewed by his congresswoman for a spot at the academy, which is narrowed to 10 applicants before the interviews. It's a gruling experience and just filling out the applications can be VERY time consuming ! Good luck!

Utahtea
Old May 12th, 2004, 07:46 PM

Ditto Amyb's suggestion re. Pike's Peak. Amazing is not the word, more like terrifying! The narrow, twisty turn road leading up to treeless rock in the clouds! Just incredible. don't know how I could have neglected it in my previous post!
Old May 12th, 2004, 08:48 PM
Tess

My son plays in a soccer tournament every June that's held on the grounds of the Air Force Academy. The scene is like something out of a movie--soccer fields literally terraced up the side of a mountain, blue sky that goes on forever--all in the shadow of the amazing Air Force chapel. Absolutely breathtaking. We've undergone much more scrutiny getting through the gates post 9/11--but that's perfectly fine. I hope you have the chance to see the academy--call ahead and you might get clearance to visit. Colorado Springs is filled with things to do plus you're only 1/2 hour from south Denver. Best of luck to your son!

Old May 13th, 2004, 04:17 AM

Hiking in/around Seven Falls is also worth a couple of hours.

But don't do this when you first arrive if you are not used to high altitudes! You have to climb about 200 steps to get to the top of the falls and the hiking trail, which is NOT easy to do two hours after you land in Colorado Springs - and I was there for a conference for athletes!

Karen
Old May 13th, 2004, 07:53 AM

Also, you can go to Focus On The Family, if Christian stuff is up your alley!! We also visited Seven Falls, south of Manitou Springs. we stayed in Manitou as well. Nice area!!
Old May 13th, 2004, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone. I am already looking forward to this trip because of your input.

utahtea, my son also has been preparing since 9th grade (only in 10th now). We're hoping the trip will encourage him to stay motivated and keep working. We've got the grades, leadership, community service thing going, have a general to write a letter, and hopes he makes it through the interview. It's something he's wanted since he's been 8 years old and I sure hope he makes it! Thanks for the input.
Suse
Old May 13th, 2004, 02:11 PM
E

Suse, I wish your son the best of luck--I hope his dream is realized! However, since my SO works in ROTC, I feel duty-bound to say that he should research good Air Force ROTC programs around the country, and apply to those colleges and universities that most appeal to him. He can still spend his college years training and graduate an officer in the Air Force, even if he doesn't get into the Academy. (I'm sure you knew all that, but really, my SO would be disappointed if I failed to plug ROTC!) GOOD LUCK! And enjoy your trip!
Old May 13th, 2004, 07:43 PM

suse,

It sounds like your son knows what he's up against. I just wanted to make sure. My nephew also put in for the ROTC program and will be getting a full ride at the University of his choice. Good luck to your son.

Utahtea
Old May 18th, 2004, 04:22 PM
krd

We are planning a trip to Colorado Springs this summer. We are interested in whitewater rafting (level 2 or 3) and horseback riding with our children (9 and 12). Any suggestions?