Reload this Page >

Road Trip for Chicago to Denver / Colorado Springs

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 05:27 AM
Jennifer

My husband and I are taking a road trip from Chicago to Denver at the end of September. We will be staying with some friends of ours while in Denver. Does anybody have any good suggestions of sites to see? I have never been to the state, never the less that side of the country and would like to see more of mother nature than the inside of museums (but we'd need something like that if the weather isn't the greatest). <BR><BR>There is a good possibility we will go to Colorado Springs for a day or two as well. Any suggestions on lodging (fairly reasonable in price) and the sites to see there?<BR><BR>We will be in Denver for almost a week minus our time in Colorado Springs.<BR><BR>Has anybody made the trip from Chicago to Denver? Are there any good tourist spots to visit along the way that would be worth while seeing?<BR><BR>Thanks!

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 08:39 AM
travellyn

If you want to see nature, stay out of the cities and go up into the nearby mountains and foothills, at least during the days. Rocky Mountain National Park is one of many areas that can be really good at that time of year.<BR><BR>Colorado is better for driving and hiking around - getting an overall feel for the season and terrain, rather than heading for any particular site.<BR><BR>The end of Sepember is usually a lovely time, because the peak of the color change happens then. (This year, it might be a little bleak because the drought is making trees turn early.) You could ask Denver locals where they like to go to see the colors, and just go somewhere new each day.

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 05:30 PM
Sylvia G

You definitely should get to Colorado Springs. We loved Garden of the Gods, which is a park with incredible red rock formations. You can hike there, or just walk, or drive it.<BR>We stayed at the Radisson North, which was very good and convenient, with a lovely buffet breakfast.<BR>The Air Force Academy is well worth visiting; the chapel is beautiful.<BR>Many people take the ride up to Pike's Peak, but we didn't have time.<BR>We enjoyed our days in Denver. The Botanical Garden is lovely. Even though you don't like museums, take the tour of the Capital - really interesting.<BR>You should take day trips to places in the area. The drive along Route 70 to Glenwood Canyon is stunning. You can get out and hike. It's fun to see Vail; very different. We were in Aspen, but that is a bit far for you. Your friends will be able to make other suggestions.<BR>It is a really gorgeous state!<BR>Sylvia

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 07:06 PM
Coco

Jennifer,<BR>Hubby and I made the trip last August, but we drove farther west than CO. As you drive through Iowa, nice, green scenery. You may want to stop off and visit/eat at the Amana Colonies which is just off the main highway about 7 miles. We had dinner there at a German Haus, which was served family style. Lots of good homestyle cooking. After driving past state of Nebraska the drive gets pretty boring, and it is long, long, long. We really enjoyed our overnight stay in Colorado Springs. I would highly recommend staying at the Staybridge Suites just off the freeway. It is brand new facility, newly opened just last month. Very clean, personnel very attentive to one's needs. We took the one-bedroom suite on main floor. Parking just outside room. (Check this out on the 'net.) Just to let you know Denver and Co. Springs are heavily into construction of freeways. It was a big mess during rush hour. Drive to Co. Springs (70 some miles) in off hrs.if you can. <BR>Enjoy your trip! Coco

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 12:27 AM
xxx

The Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs just closed its doors to tourists for security reasons, as of today. They made the announcment, then admitted they didn't know HOW they were going to handle football game attendance.

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 07:39 AM
Jennifer

Thanks for the input so far, it really helps. We just received a Colorado travel guide yesterday and thought that Manitou Springs and Canon City looked interesting as well. Manitou Springs advertised horse back riding along with the cliff dwellings. Canon City advertised a 2 hour train ride that goes over the "famous hanging bridge". Would traveling to these places be worth while as well? Is there any other place in Denver or in Colordao Springs that would have horse back riding? I will check out the suggestions you all gave me, just glancing through the Colorado guide, I did not see those, but they seem really interesting. Thanks much.

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 08:29 AM
kima

Jennifer I would skip Canyon City, not much there but mostly prisons and rafting as rafting is over.....<BR><BR>In Denver head to Lodo lots of galleries, resturants and such <BR>look at http://denver.citysearch.com/section/hotels_visitors

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 08:37 AM
kima

Hello again was going to add more but had to leave..<BR><BR>You might want to go to Summit county for a day. It is an easy 90 min drive from central denver. I would go to Breckenridge. It maybe pretty quiet at that time but easy hiking around. Suggest taking a hike at the West Frisco exit. its the exit past the one for Breckenridge. There is a parking lot as you exit the freeway. Its a nice hike with little elevation gain. Most gain is in the first 30 min. Hike then head back to Breck for lunch. For casual we like the Breck Brewery or Breckenridge BBQ. a lttle nicer is Cafe Alpine. Lots of shops and such nice for walking around.

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 08:54 AM
kima

sorry all you need is this address<BR>http://denver.citysearch.com<BR>not the hotel info

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 12:34 PM
Phil Tune

Jennifer,<BR>We were in Colorado Springs this summer for a figure skating event and stayed at the Radisson North too. We paid $99 per night with the buffet breakfast and thought it was too much for the quality of the room. Our room's furniture was worn, and the bathroom was poorly maintained. We like to stay at Radissons, but would not return to this one.<BR>If you get a chance to see an event at the World Arena, it is a great venue for most any ice events.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 08:56 AM
x

If you or your spouse is a John Wayne fan, and you take the route across Iowa...you could hop off at Winterset for a visit to his birthplace/home. It's about 20 mins, max off the interestate. Made the trip once on behalf of a relative...it's sort of interesting. And puts you in the Madison County covered bridges territory. On the other side fo the political spectrum, and on the other route, you might want to visit the Truman Home/library in Independence. Also not far off the highway.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 10:26 AM
cedar

I don't want to be negative but, we just returned from a statewide trip to Colorado.<BR>I will never go near Co. Spgs or Denver again...tooo much endless sprawl and traffic and polluted air.<BR>Even the little mt. towns are becoming condofied and too polished and cutesy.<BR>The mts and scenery are spectacular and we looked for the off the beaten path towns...like Montrose, Cortez and the mts in the SE are still untouched by developement.<BR>Gunnison Canyon is a new National Park with very few visitors....breathtaking.<BR>I would reconsider going to Denver and Co Spgs unless you have a good reason.<BR>

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 04:52 AM
mattie

I agree with Cedar...what a shock to see the mess in Colorado Springs....it has been about 10 rs since I was last there and I was shocked to see the chaotic development!

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 05:54 AM
Jennifer

Both of us have never been there so we really do not have anything to compare it to. We're pretty much expecting that while we are in the city, it will be a typical city. Is Pikes Peak still worth it (as far as the scenery and beauty goes)? Also will the atmosphere change in Manitou Springs? My in-laws recommended Cripple Creek as well, but they didn't remember what was all there, anything interesting?

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 04:22 PM
Lenleigh

Pikes Peak is defintily one of the things I would see. You can drive or take a tram from Manitou Springs. We drove and if you aren't comfortable with driving up steep mountains with no gaurd rails you may want to think about the tram. Make sure you take a good jacket/coat. It gets really windy at the top and cold. They have had some snow at the peak a couple times recently.<BR><BR>If you are not used to higer elevations you need to make sure you drink a LOT of water (esp. when you are going up to Pikes Peak). You won't notice much of a difference in Manitou vs. Colorado Springs. Cripple Creek is alright but I would prefer going to Black Hawk or Central City (just North West of Denver) over Cripple Creek. They are all pretty similar but Central City/Black Hawk are very close to each other and closer to the city. Cripple Creek is a good little drive into the mountains and a steep descent into the town. I also heard the airforce academy has reopened to visitors if you are interested in that.