Ahwahnee Hotel in Yosemite Valley.

Old Aug 31st, 2002, 02:38 PM
Patricia

Ahwahnee Hotel in Yosemite Valley.

I've seen and read quite a bit about this hotel, but haven't found too much about the guest rooms. Has anyone had first-hand experience staying there? I've got reservations for a 'standard room', but am considering upgrading to one of the rather expensive suites. Aside from the views, which I know are spectacular, are the standard rooms especially 'nice'? Anyone ever stayed in one of the suites? Are they enough nicer than the standard rooms to justify the difference in cost, which is...substantial. The reservation desk informed me that specific rooms cannot be assigned until arrival, while the suites can be specifically selected and reserved. Are all the standard rooms about equal, in terms of furnishing, condition and, most importantly, the views? I'm sure this all sounds a little picky, but I'm actually planning this trip for someone else and I'd like it to be as close to perfect as I can manage to make it. Thanks for your help!

Old Aug 31st, 2002, 04:57 PM
Janet

Stayed at Ahwahnee in June in one of their cottages. Excellant. I would try to get a cottage if I could, rooms are big and the same price as a room in the hotel.

Old Aug 31st, 2002, 08:53 PM
Jamie

Here's the official web link with room photos:
http://www.yosemitepark.com/html/accom_ahwahnee.html

Old Sep 1st, 2002, 09:46 AM
Patricia

Thanks, Jamie. I appreciate the help and had actually studied the site before I made my reservation. Because I couldn't enlarge the photo of the room I didn't feel as if I could truly evaluate it's desirability. I thought maybe someone who had actually stayed in one of the rooms or the suites might be able to give me a little feedback as to the differences between the two.

Old Sep 1st, 2002, 10:47 AM
Tony

We have always stayed in one of the suites. I think the rooms are nicer and the ones we stayed in had outside patios.

Old Sep 1st, 2002, 02:27 PM
Simone

It doesn't look like the room vs suite rates are the same to me - according to their website it's a difference of: $348 vs. $772

I don't even see any Cottages listed to reserve - am I missing something?

Old Sep 1st, 2002, 05:58 PM
Jacque

The cottage rooms are the same rate as the hotel rooms so they are considered the same. The cottages are bungalow type buildings out in the forest around the hotel with 4-6 rooms joined together. We've never stayed there, but have walked around the place and the cottages look like they'd be great fun. A little more away from it all. Some are right next to the river, which is good and bad. Beautiful spot, but anyone can walk in. Go to the Ahwahnee website, under accomodations click the Ahwahnee, scroll down and it will describe all the choices. Have fun! It's a gorgeous spot to be in.

Old Sep 1st, 2002, 06:08 PM
Francine

Must be nice to be rich. Not jealous - just thinking.

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 06:10 AM
Not

Francine,
I wouldn't choose to spend that kind of money for the Ahwahnee. There are several other choices to stay while visiting Yosemite.
No one has to be rich to enjoy this wonderful National Park!!
Not jealous either.

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 07:40 AM
areyouforreal

Ahwahnee worth the money ? Every cent

We were a young couple on holiday and when we saw the rooms in the Yosemite Lodge (150 dollars and up) we nearly cried they were so awful.They smelt of damp and were full of cheap nasty furntiure and bad beds. For 320, a night we switched to ahwahnee and it was simply astoundingly great. Not the room which was fine but the views and the service and the food. It was simply the best $ we ever spent. Don't hesitate. Book it.