Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Curry Village, Yosemite - Cabin w/bath or Motel room better?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12th, 2007, 09:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone stayed in both?

Have a shot at either for the night we're going. The standard motel rooms at Curry cost a bit more. Wondering why.

Which would you choose & why? Also, if you could recommend a location or area to request in Curry Village for the cabin or room, would appreciate it so much! Thanks!
Old Nov 13th, 2007, 10:16 AM

You might want to read the reviews at tripadvisor.com on Curry Village before you plan to stay there. Personally, I'd stay somewhere like Mariposa and ride the shuttle (YARTS) in.
Old Nov 13th, 2007, 11:25 AM

I would strongly suggest you stay in the valley. It's great to wake up and be in the valley first thing in the morning. Traveling an hour each waye every day of your visit isn't all that great.

I've stayed in the motel room many times. In recent years they have even installed TVs. Something that they hadn't had before.

They rooms are comfotable and clean. I'm not crazy about the curry village area but that's all about personal preference. The Motel rooms are very near - within easy walking distance - to Yosemite Falls and Curry Village is closer to Happy Isle.
Old Nov 13th, 2007, 11:41 AM

I love Curry Village myself and staying in the Valley is the way to go. If you can snag a cabin w/ bath, go for it!
Just understand no matter what you won't be staying in the lap of luxury. But who cares? It's beautiful outside the door.
Old Nov 13th, 2007, 12:43 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Sorry - tripadvisor really isn't all that useful for any national park accomodations. They are relatively expensive - and on the "outside" they might be 1 or 2 star. But in the Parks you are paying mostly for the location, location, location. Many TA posters have unreasonable expectations re what is/should be offered. You cannot rate Curry Village or Yosemite Lodge if you expect Hyatt/Marriott amenities.

And using Mariposa as a base for Yosemite Valley is not a very good idea. UNLESS there are no rooms available in teh valley. (And in that case I'd probably change my travel dates so I could stay on teh Valley floor.)

As for whether the motel units or cabins are better - partly depends on how "rustic" you are comfortable w/.
Old Nov 13th, 2007, 01:34 PM

janisj, you say: "Many TA posters have unreasonable expectations re what is/should be offered. You cannot rate Curry Village or Yosemite Lodge if you expect Hyatt/Marriott amenities.

And using Mariposa as a base for Yosemite Valley is not a very good idea."

I think staying in Mariposa is an excellent idea. I've done both, and it worked beautifully for us when we stayed in Mariposa. Our accommodations were many times nicer than Yosemite Lodge, for half the price. The shuttle took less than 45 min. to get to the Valley. You can do everything staying in Mariposa and commuting that you can do when you stay in the Valley, except over-paying for sub-standard lodging and overpriced food. BTW, I don't expect Hyatt/Marriott amenities. I just wanted a room without mold, cobwebs and filthy comforters (Yosemite Lodge.) But, to each their own thing; that's my take on staying in the park.
Old Nov 13th, 2007, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

Could anyone compare the motel rooms at Curry to the cabins w/bath?
(for relative comfort, location & 'charm'?) I realize little charm, per se, but perhaps someone here knows what I mean?

Any 'cuteness' factor going on?
Or, just shacks?

Again, I'm definitely staying on the Valley Floor, for the convenience factor. If something open for Yosemite Lodge, is it that much better than Curry? I realize during Spring, it's great to be RIGHT there next to Yos. Falls. But this time of year, I expect to find it dry.

That being said...is there more to do maybe straight out of the door of Curry, then there is at Yos. Lodge for a November day? We did do Vernal/Nevada Falls last spring...so probably won't do that again. But...I haven't been to Mirror "Lake" in ages...is that close-by & still nice to do? Thanks again!
Old Nov 13th, 2007, 02:19 PM

I provided locations in my post above. The valley is pretty compact so there are no great disantaces between areas and there is always a shuttle.

Check out the shuttle map here to see which sites you prefer to be nearby.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisi...ad/yt07-14.pdf
Old Nov 13th, 2007, 06:47 PM

The cabin with baths are fine; kind of rustic but warm and cozy. The rooms are like motel rooms, not fancy. Some have decks or balconies.

If you can, stay in Yosemite Village rather than Curry Village. Staying in the Valley would definitely be my preference. Nothing like walking out your door (or looking out the window) and seeing Yosemite Falls in all it's splendor. When will you be going? Summer or Winter?
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 02:26 AM
Original Poster

Going in a week, so the falls will be dry, unfortunately. But we're okay w/that having been there last Spring...first time in years!

So...sounds like you'd prefer a cabin, then? (more unique or sweet?)

Thanks so much!!
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 08:37 AM

I guess I would book the cabin simply because that's what we've done for years. My girls and I used to go every year mid-December. We started out with cabins with NO baths! They were about $20 a night then. Then we graduated to the with baths and thought we were in heaven.

The glory of Yosemite, as you know, is outdoors. The cabins are clean, warm and the bathrooms close at hand. They really aren't fancy. I think they recommend you don't bring food in (critters). Of course you know, don't leave food in your car (bears!) I like staying in the Yosemite village area better because there's a better choice of food. And we always managed to get a view of Yosemite Falls from our beds. I have stayed in Curry Village and I think the cabins were a tiny bit more modern. In December they open an outdoor ice rink there.
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 02:20 PM
Original Poster

Re: Yosemite Lodge...
we are also staying THERE one night. Crazy, huh? One night at Curry, one at Wawona (w/my elderly mom joining us) and one at Yosemite Lodge.

Fave building at YL?
Or Wawona? (if ever stayed there before)

Sounds like I should maybe go for a cabin then at Curry vs. a motel room. Thanks again!
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 02:46 PM

Why would you move around so much in such a small area? Packin up and loading the car evey day just to move a mile? Or 30 minutes in teh case of Wawona? Doesn't seem like a good use of time.
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 02:54 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm 10000% w/ Suzie. Why on Earth are you moving from place to place? Makes no sense - unless there simply are no rooms available the other nights at the same property . . . . . .
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 03:03 PM
Original Poster

Yes, we were booking last minute,
so needed to move.

Plus, meeting family coming up from So Calif at the southern gate, and haven't seen Mariposa Grove in more than a decade, so thought it would be okay to stay at that end one night. But then family from So Calif wanted to stay on the Valley Floor, as well & ice skate, so...
that's the reason for all the moves. (only we are there 3 nights & moving each night) Others, might only be 2 nights total (and moving), or possibly 3 nights, with their final 2 nights on the Floor.

Just thought I'd explain the craziness! That's what one gets when planning things last minute. Just grateful I could find anything, at all...
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 03:04 PM
Original Poster

To further explain,
only my DH & I are there Thanksgiving night. (so we start there before the others will join us)

That's the Curry Village night.
Thanks!
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 03:23 PM

By the end, you'll be the expert on Yosemite Valley accommodations!

Have a fun trip.
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 04:21 PM

Yes - definitely post a report when you come back comparing and contrasting the lodging options.
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 01:55 PM
Original Poster

Will do!
And, we even stayed at the Awhahnee
in March as a total splurge for my hubby's bday. So, you're right...
will now be able to offer fuller info for all the facilities, if anyone wants to know.

(we got married in Yosemite
almost 15 yrs ago!)
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 02:41 PM

Wow with so much expertise under your belt I'm surprised that you never make any recommendations for your fellow travelers on TA. Looking forward to seeing your helpful comparisons for those desperate for lodging feedback on the Yosemite Forum!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -