Advice on trip to Virginia

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 08:26 PM
Judith

Advice on trip to Virginia

Prior to attending a wedding in Alexandria
next week, we will have 4 days to do a little sightseeing in some new places. We will land in Dulles and would like to drive to Front Royal -Skyline Drive to Charlottesville - then maybe Fredricksburg --
and head up to Alexandria. My questions :
--where should we stay the first night -- (would you recommend Front Royal or is there a better choice)
after landing in Dulles around 2 pm -we want to start down the Skyline Drive the following morning - The next two night we'll be in C'ville for Monticello, etc.
when we leave Charlottesville and head for the DC area what should we take in -is Fredricksburg a good choice? We've done DC many times so don't plan on spening a lot of time there. Many thanks for any and all suggestions or advice on anything. It will be gratefully received. Many thanks.

Old Jul 28th, 2002, 06:39 AM
va

It is a little more than an hour to Front Royal from the airport. My choice in Front Royal for staying over would be Quality Inn Skyline. There are several nice restaurants in town. The rest of the trip sounds great. Welcome to Virginia.

Old Jul 28th, 2002, 07:23 AM
PattyO

Just got back from Fredericksburg two weeks ago. On this trip we spent the day at Lake Anna. We rented a pontoon boat and enjoyed the lake. You didn't mention the ages of those traveling. Are you staying in Alexandria? We did not do any of the historic sites and battlefields in Fredericksburg. My family did go to Kings Dominion one day and enjoyed that. I was very pleased with my relaxing day on Lake Anna.

Old Jul 28th, 2002, 04:08 PM
Anne

My suggestion is to bypass Front Royal and head down #81. Stay at River'd Inn near Woodstock, Virginia. It's a B&B with a lovely setting , pool and restaurant. Look up their website :
www.riverdinn.com
It's approx. 45 min. from Front Royal.Come West on #66 to #81 South. Directions to the Inn on their website. It'll give you a head start going South, a place to rest and relax and next AM you can catch Skyline Drive, etc.
Have a great trip !

Old Jul 28th, 2002, 07:09 PM
John B.

I live in Central VA & here is my input: A word of caution; on very hot & humid days you can't see much from the viewpoints on Skyline Drive due to the haze. Front Royal is okay, but a prettier & more historical town enroute is Warrenton(I think there's a Hampton Inn there). Since it's on Hwy 29 near I-64, you'd be in position to go on to C'vil on 29 or go on to Shenandoah Park in the AM. Besides Monticello, visit the home of James Monroe (Ashlawn Highland) just a couple miles away. The must see in the city is the U of VA campus. Drive hwy 20 via Orange enroute to Fredericksburg, and you can stop for a visit at Montpelier Station to see James & Dolly Madison's home. Fredericksburg is a great town to visit if you're a history buff...the downtown historic area includes Mary Washington's house (mom of George) & the law office of James Monroe. Many antique shops in town too. The 4 battlefields are well marked, but not much to do except read the markers. Alexandria itself is a great little city to explore....have a great trip.

Old Jul 28th, 2002, 07:17 PM
correction to above

Warrenton is near I-66 not I64.

Old Jul 28th, 2002, 07:50 PM
ronk

If you have the time, pass up Front Royal and stay over in Strasburg at the old charming Hotel Strasburg.
Continue anther 15-20 minutes on I66 to I81 south and get off at the first Strasburg exit.
The next day take rte 11 south, see the old courthouse in Woodstock, and further south the Meems Bottom covered bridge. Continue south on rte 11 to rte 211 in New Market, turn left for the short ride to Skyline Drive. Then take the drive south to I64, and I64 east to Charlottesville.

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 10:15 AM
dan woodlief

If you visit Fredericksburg to see battlefields, I am guessing you will only have one day there. If so, start early and visit the Maryes Heights part of the Fredericksburg battlefield as your top priority. Then drive out to the Chancellorsville visitor center, see the wonderful exhibit there, and then drive the Chancellorsville site. I would advise against trying to see the Wilderness (not much there now) or Spotsylvania (a little farther afield) with one day, but you may squeeze more in.

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 06:57 PM
Judith

Many thanks to all the people who respsonded to my request for help regarding my trip to Virginia -(Skyline Drive, Charlottesville, Fredricksburg). All the information was very heplful - and much appreciated.