Advice on eats and Shows

Search

Advice on eats and Shows

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2006, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice on eats and Shows

Hey new yorkers, my parents are coming in to town to visit this week. I need some suggestions on where to go for dinner on UES, $50/person or so. Also, what shows have gotten some really good ratings lately? Also, two, I've never gotten more than 2 tickets and the TKTS booth. Is it unlikely to get 4 seats together. Thanks!
Old May 8th, 2006, 02:28 PM

Someone posted this link recently for purchasing TKTS online. Check for available discounts and see if seats of 4 are available.

http://www.entertainment-link.com/tkts.asp
Old May 8th, 2006, 02:52 PM

For dinner on the UES, I suggest two "new" options:

1. Spigolo -- great Italian, on Second Avenue at 81st Street. Exremely well-reviewed by Frank Bruni of the NY Times.

2. Cafe d'Alsace -- amazing blend of French & German cuisine (Alsace region), also well-reviewed, Second Avenune at 88th Street. Ask Aviram to match your meal with one of the cafe's 120 beers (he was also a wine sommelier before becoming a beer sommelier, but, as Bruni points out, much of the cuisine lends itself to beer pairings).

Call both well in advance for reservations -- tough to get a table at either right now, particularly during "peak" hours.

You might want to check craigslist for 4 theater tickets.
Old May 8th, 2006, 03:05 PM

Vivolo and Atlantic Grill have some senior appeal if your folks are older and both do pre theater prix fixe dinners. Payard Bistro very good.

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels and Drowsy Chaperone are available with discount codes on broadwaybox.com that avoids TKTS booth aggro.
Old May 8th, 2006, 03:58 PM

When we have trouble getting four seats together, my friend always says, "It doesn't matter because we're not supposed to be talking during the show anyway."

So, if you can get two pairs for a show you want to see, I'd say go for it!
Old May 8th, 2006, 04:56 PM
Neopolitan

abram, thanks for repeating what I always say about "not talking" during a performance. I can sort of understand two people not wanting to split up and sit separately, but what is the purpose of insisting that all four seats be together, especially if there are two pairs that are all better seats?

Old May 11th, 2006, 06:54 PM
Original Poster

hey everyone, thanks for the suggestion, and yes i agree with spigolos...excellent. I ate there with a couple of friends last week. Decent wine list as well. shiraz lovers try the russian river, quite pricey, and only available by the bottle...about 70 usd., but well worth it. Thanks again!