Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

A very spoecific Boston Italian restaurant question

Old Sep 20th, 2007, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Silly as this may sound, my daughter who is a freshman at a Boston college is craving eggplant parmigiana and artichokes (whole, preferably herb stuffed). We will be visiting gher in a couple of weeks and are looking for a decent restaurant that serves these 2 things. We will be staying in the back bay area but will have a car and can drive to the suburbs or take the T to another Boston area if need be. We'd prefer to eat near the back bay area, but it's not necessary.

I've been looking through boston menupages and can't seem to find a place that offers both these dishes. We've recently eaten at Assiago in the North End (without my daughter), and it did have these items, but we were under-whelmed.
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

Actually, one correction, we ate recently at Pagliuca's, not ASsiago's.

Old Sep 20th, 2007, 08:25 AM

Well that's a pretty specific request!

Have you looked at either Via Matta or Davio's? Both are in the Back Bay and very good.

Obviously, the North End offers the greatest likelihood of finding this dish. Here's a link to all the restaurants there:

http://www.northendboston.com/dining.htm

Good luck!
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

I come from a long line of Italian cooks so my family is a bit spoiled as far as quality Italian food.

I'd bring my daughter food from home but she doesn't have any cooking/heating facilities (no toaster ovens or microwaves allowed in the dorm).
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 08:36 AM

Try La Famiglia Giorgio's n Newbury street.Great food.Paul
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 08:45 AM

My favorite North End restaurant is Maurizio's on Hanover Street. Not sure about the artichokes but they have a very good eggplant parmigiana appetizer. Plus, they serve you a complimentary glass of sparkling wine when you sit down!

The owner and chef, Maurizio, is from Sardinia.
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 11:20 AM

Give them a call. Great restaurant & maybe artichoke can be made special:

http://www.aldenteboston.com/aldentedinner.htm
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 11:26 AM

There are so many wonderful Italian restaurants in Boston .. I would call a couple and tell them your needs .. most good restaurants will accomodate .. it is the season for artichokes and eggplant parm is never out of season at any restaurant .. Any good chef should be able to do both !
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

Well based on checking lots of menus, I decided to make the artichokes and bring them. My D does have a small fridge and access to a microwave so that will take care of that!

As for the eggplant, since that's an easier to find dish, we'll most likely eat at on of the Italian places near the hotel (Sheraton).

Thanks.
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 06:02 PM

If you make it to the North End, we had a nice meal at Artu - they may have what you're looking for.
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 11:10 PM

MFNYC, did you try posting on Chowhound? Someone there might have an answer. Good luck!

(I don't know if I would have survived the dorms without my toaster oven. My how times have changed!!)