A special restaurant for 2 in NYC

Aug 15th, 2006, 06:32 AM
Original Poster

A special restaurant for 2 in NYC

I'll be with my wife in NYC for 3 days next september and we'll have our 11th years of marriage there (10th Sep, a Sunday).

For that purpose I was wondering if someone could give me a good spot for that night ($100-$150 for both, of course). We like trendy/modern/calm restaurants, but any special spot in Greenwhich Village or downtown (not too much touristy, please) would be welcome.

By the way, after the restaurant, where should we have a drink after (it is a Sunday, though).

Thanks in advance,

Portela
Aug 15th, 2006, 07:12 AM

All of these places are great, and you shoud have no problem getting out of there on your budget. If you go Blue Ribbon, The Room is a great bar across the street to grab a drink. Blue Ribbon and Landmarc don't take reseravations, but it shouldn't be an issue on a Sunday night.

Again, go to www.menupages.com to look at menus.

Lupa
Landmarc
Extra Virgin
Red Cat
Blue Ribbon
Aug 15th, 2006, 11:08 AM

It’s refreshing to see posts by would-be NYC visitor who seek the truly good NYC foods and not settle for those mostly mediocre ones in the tourist-deluged areas. Good for you.

With your budget of under $150 for 2, here’s a rundown of some of the best bang for your bucks (from the locals’ perspectives) in the Lower Manhattan.

Lower East Side/ Village/Nolita:

Hearth (11th Street / 1st Avenue) – Chef Marco Canora continues to shine with great Mediterranean-inspired dishes (you have to try the gnocchi and the hen-of-the-woods mushrooms appetizers). Paul, his partner, knows wine – very well. A hidden gem (not so, anymore) among locals.

Peasant (Nolita) – The rustic execution and preparation of Northern Italian dishes conjures images of dining in a great restaurant in Tuscany or Emilia Romagna. They have closely perfected the use of those open brick ovens for roasting meats.

The Orchard (Orchard St., Nolita) – A newcomer with great Italian appetizers (the flatbread tartare is a must) and solid dishes by the same successful groups at Falai. The last time we were there, they have no liquor license, encouraging BYOB and it was a destination restaurant for wine geeks, as well.

Stanton Social (North of Soho) – good drinks/cocktails, and very good appetizer/tapas accompaniments.

Cru (9th St / 5th Ave) – Good for dinner, better for perusing their wine list by the glass.

West Village/ Soho/Chelsea

Lupa (W. Village) – Quite simply, the finest Roman trattoria outside of, well, Rome. OK, there must be some good ones in the suburbs of Rome. But, this is probably, pound-for-pound the best among Mario Batali’s joints – us NYC’ers who love good food are simply so happy that this one is reachable by subway.

Blue Ribbon (Sullivan St – near. Spring St.) – Good comfort food, very good and nicely-priced raw bar, the Roasted Bone Marrow with Ox Tail Marmalade is the best bone marrow dish anywhere. No reservations for parties less than 6.

Gavroche (14th St, bet. 7th/8th) – an under-the-radar French bistro that successfully goes beyond your classic steak-frittes. Nice garden at the back.

Aquagrill – This restaurant never fails with it’s solid seafood dishes.

Landmarc - Good food, as well as good wines by the bottle that are priced unbelievably near the retail mark.
Aug 15th, 2006, 11:21 AM
GoTravel

I LOVE Blue Ribbon and Blue Ribbon Bakery!

Best Sunday Brunch in Manhattan!

Aug 15th, 2006, 11:39 AM

For clarification, the Blue Ribbon that I think we are all referring to is at 97 Sullivan Street. The bar to go to after eating there is called The Room, and it's located at 144 Sulivan.

Stanton Social is terrific and quite trendy. I actually dream of their wok-charred edamame

Another plug for Landmarc - it is SO good, and the wines are fantastic. If you want a romantic place to have a drink after, go to Church Lounge at the Tribeca Grand Hotel.

Aug 15th, 2006, 12:18 PM

The Little Owl has been getting a lot of good-to-great press lately.
Aug 16th, 2006, 12:18 PM

Hi there--If you want a quieter, more romantic place I second whoever mentioned Peasant (tons of candlelight) or Aquagrill (very nice seafood restaurant & excellent service). Stanton Social is very "cool" and hip but keep in mind that it's a louder place since the scene is younger and trendier. It depends what you're looking for. In NYC, the trendier, modern restaurants tend to be louder. I think that Provence is a nice French restaurant in SoHo (ask to sit in the garden room). http://provence-soho.com/ The service is great there and it feels very romantic. A hip restaurant (more like the Stanton Social scene) is Suba, which has a grotto downstairs which is pretty cool. Just don't accidentally drop your fork into the moat like I did last time I was there. http://subanyc.com/ Landmarc is a nice restaurant, but in my opinion overrated. However, hands down--if you REALLY want to knock her socks off..the most romantic meal I've ever been to has been at the River Cafe in Brooklyn. http://www.rivercafe.com/ It's just a short cab ride away and has the MOST beautiful view of the Manhattan skyline.
Aug 16th, 2006, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

Hello Everybody,

I'm simply amazed for the contributions until now. From nothing in hand, I have now several choices to present my wife (Blue Ribbon, Stanton Social, Lupa, Landmarc). Trully awesome.

My first night/dinner will be spent in John's Pizzeria in Midtown because I'll arrive that day and the jet-leg will push me to something close to my hotel (Millennium Broaday Hotel at 44th & 6th). But for the other 2 nights, my choices will go around the mentioned references, no doubt.

For saturday night I'm planning one of the Greenwhich Village referred spots, followed by some drinks in the area. On Sunday, I think I'll go for Stanton Social. The pics are great and the fact that it is a loud place, doesn't worry me. I'm coming to NYC and true locals are welcome.

After Stanton Social, which bars in the area or should I take a taxi/metro to The Village again?

Trully thanks, waiting for more advises,

Portela
Aug 16th, 2006, 02:26 PM
sistahlou

Hungry now! What a great list of possabilities!

Aug 16th, 2006, 02:27 PM

Stanton Social actually has a pretty cool lounge upstairs. There are TONS of bars in the neighborhood. They run the gamut from early 20s, clubby places to more mellow bars that cater to a slightly older crowd. What do you prefer - microbrew or martini?
Aug 16th, 2006, 02:31 PM
Original Poster

Lizziea06,

I definetely prefer clubby places to mellow bars.

Thanks for your great advises,

Portela
Aug 16th, 2006, 03:48 PM

Our two favorite "anniversary dinner" places:

Montrachet (Tribeca) - exquisite French in a comfortable (non-snobby) atmosphere.

Union Square Cafe - top notch menu, great service, again, in a comfortable, light atmosphere.

Appetizer through desert with a glass of wine in either place should fall within your budget. Both places are well worth it. Check their websites for menus, etc.

Hope this helps,

John
Aug 16th, 2006, 04:47 PM

Just a couple of update:

I recommended Blue Ribbon but negelected to post that on any given dinner night, there's always a loooong wait for a table (especially for 2). You may want to consider this esp. if planning for an anniversary dinner.

The Orchard (one very coooool restaurant - lot's of good-looking people who long for good food) has received their liquor license and will no longer BYOB starting end of August according to New York Times announcement this morning.

BTW, Stanton Social has these Kobe Beef burger that rocks!
Aug 19th, 2006, 11:16 PM

Portela, John's Pizza is a nice meal, but also consider Virgil's BBQ (just west of 6th Ave), and a little further astray, the Hells Kitchen restaurants on 9th Ave. Lots to choose from there, mostly casual but tasty spots like the Brazilian Rice 'n Beans or fusion Vynl Diner... Pongsri just east of 8th Ave on 48th Street is good Thai food, and there's a small sushi place I can't remember the name of on 44th just west of 8th Ave...