On the water dining in San Diego

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16th, 2006, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone recommend a good "on the water" spot for a romantic dinner in San Diego?
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 01:01 PM

The Marine Room in LaJolla is one of the best- not exactly San Diego but worth the short drive
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 01:17 PM

La Jolla is not a separate city-- it's a community within the city of San Diego (albeit with a separate identity and a definite high cachet). Therefore, the Marine Room is a place to have a romantic dinner in San Diego.

However, George's at the Cove is an even better choice, also in the neighborhood of La Jolla (right in the Village).
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 02:08 PM

I am dining at Georges on Sat night- cant wait.
Another beautiful setting is the Beach House in Cardiff by the Sea - they have outdoor dining right on the beach.
The food was good but doesnt compare to Marine Room or Georges- but great setting!!
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 04:09 PM

The best thing about the Beach House is that you can eat out on its open patio right next to the Beach. I would concur that the food is good but not exceptional.
Jake's in Del Mar is also right by the beach, but I think it has outdoor seating only for its bar. The food and atmosphere is better than at the Beach House, in my opinion.
At George's, you have a water view and great food but you are not on the water. The restaurant sits up on Prospect Street.
For a great view and good, but maybe not outstanding, Italian food, try Il Fornaio on Coronado.
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all! I have a reservation at George's.
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 07:52 PM

Anthony's Star of the Sea on the water in the harbor, near the navy ships, it's wonderful! Also, Peohe's in Coronado Island, near the ferry landing. It's great food, laid back but very romantic atmosphere!
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 09:27 PM

Anthony's Star of the Sea is out or on its way out.
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 05:39 AM

rjw,

I must inform you many years ago (and I do MEAN Many) Raquel Welch refused to admit she was from "San Diego." She insisted she was from La Jolla and didn't want anyone saying she was from S.D She, at the time reported the local weather on a local station before she became a movie star. Just a bit of nostaligia, but yes La Jolla is part of S.D. You are correct.
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 06:50 AM

Roodee,
We just had dinner at George's last week. Are you eating on the Terrace or in the dining room?

We had a great dinner on the Terrace, which is very casual, lots of people dressed in jeans and shorts, but some, including us, were dressed nicer! We had appetizers, dinners, split a dessert and a couple of drinks apiece for around $100.00! I thought that was pretty reasonable for LaJolla!

The dining room downstairs looked fabulous for a special dinner! Much more expensive, but it looked very romantic and elegant! Quiet too, compared to the noise level on the terrace! The middle floor is cool, a great bar atmosphere! All in all, we loved George's! By the way, if you"re a steak person, their Asian Marinated Skirt Steak was wonderful!!!!! Have a great time!