Search

A Question for Paso Robles Experts

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2008, 06:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Question for Paso Robles Experts

Hi!

My husband and I are going to be spending a couple of days in Paso Robles (as part of our 16-day trip in California) in a couple of weeks. We're staying at the Paso Robles Inn and are going to have one full day to enjoy visiting some wineries. We're going to have our 1-year-old son with us, so we figure we might only get to 1 or 2.

We're looking for a winery that is beautiful and good for enjoying a family picnic lunch. And we're also looking for a winery that has great zinfandels (my husband's current favourite).

He's come up with the following list - any opinions on these or other recommendations?

Eberle Winery
Robert Hall Winery
Castoro Cellars
Summerwood Winery
Windward Vineyards
Martin and Weyrich Winery
Bianchi

Thanks!

Oh, and any restaurant suggestions would be great too! We're having dinner at the Hitching Post II on our way into town, but are open after that...

Old Jun 1st, 2008, 07:18 PM

Bonny Doon is a fun place--they have great red wines and a terrific (if somewhat warped) sense of humor. Grounds are small in case one of you needs to stay outside with the wee one. (Have the little one ask for corks--they will keep little hands busy) Paso has some great restaurants--F McClintock's Saloon will be very kid friendly.
Old Jun 1st, 2008, 07:28 PM

If you like BBQ, the original Big Bubba's is in Paso Robles: http://www.bigbubbasbadbbq.com/about.php
It's a good place for kids also, near the Fairgrounds.
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the suggestions! We leave this Saturday and so any other suggestions for wineries would be greatly appreciated!
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 09:38 AM

Paso has great Zins and Merlots, Robert Hall would be a very nice place for your picnic, the winery is gorgeous and there are many picnic tables in the back with pretty views. Bianchi is also nice but not as stately as Robert Hall, Martin & Weyrich has good wines but there are mostly just tables set out on the patio there. Summerwood has very good wines, they are a smaller venue with a nice, small area for a picnic there. Enjoy your wine tasting! ***kim***
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 12:23 PM

Bonny Doon no longer has a tasting room in Paso Robles. Their place burned down and they did not rebuild but Lone Madrone now has a tasting room in that location and they have some good wines.
From your list Windward only makes Pinot Noir so if your husband wants to try zinfandels he won't find them there. Eberle has a covered picnic area with nice views of the vineyards and has a large selection of wines including zinfandels. Robert Hall is a huge place with a nice patio, Summerwood and Castoro both have nice grounds, Bianchi has tables by a pond where you can picnic. Martin and Weyrich is not a place I go so I can't give an opinion on that.
A place with very good wine IMO is Four Vines on 46 West. They have a few picnic tables but it's not the greatest setting. I'd probably taste there and picnic elsewhere.
If you don't mind driving a bit the "far out" wineries have some of the most scenic settings and also good wine. Tablas Creek is excellent (although not a zin place) and has a beautiful patio, Halter Ranch is charming and Carmody McKnight has one of the prettiest settings in the area.
My favorite Paso restaurant is Artisan. Other good choices include Bistro Laurent and Villa Creek.
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 03:06 PM

I'm a huge Zinfandel fan. Tried and true in the area are Turley and Four Vines. Our absolute favorite surprise winery is Whalebone- right down the lane from an olive oil tasting room, which was fun and tasty to visit.