Reload this Page >

Central Coast Wineries

Search

Central Coast Wineries

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2002, 09:19 AM
Lindsey

Central Coast Wineries

Any suggestions on wineries to visit on drive from Santa Barbara to Cambria?

Old May 12th, 2002, 12:11 PM
xxx

We stopped at the Fess Parker winery in I think it was Los Olivos. A nice building with a really pretty garden outfront. I would definitely go back to that area again to visit wineries. That trip we had our kids (older) who amused themselves for a half hour on the patio while we did the wine tasting. So it was just a quick one stop so that we actually got to do something adult.

Old May 16th, 2002, 11:19 PM
3 angels

We just went to Santo Barbara last week and had a geat time in the Wineries.
I would highly recommend Los Olivos. What a charming town. You can get maps of all the vineyards through just about any business.
We stay at Fess Parker, though we had a great room, It was somewhat a disappointment.
They advertist as a "Resort" but they are actually broken up into a couple of different buildings. If you want to go to the spa, it's a couple of blocks down the street....not appealing to us since we wanted to relax. The pool is also across the street in the next building.

Old May 17th, 2002, 08:43 AM
c

As you're approaching the Cambria area, you'll find that many of the wineries in this area are located along Hwy 46 (which connects Hwy 1 and Hwy 101). For a good merlot, give Wild Horse a try. Grey Wolf Cellars also produces a good wine.

While not a quality wine, there's also a winery in the little town of Harmony just off Hwy 1 on your drive to Cambria. The Harmony winery does have tastings and a nice gift selection of wine related items. And the town of Harmony is fun to stop at for looking at ceramics and watching hand blownn glass being made down at the Phoenix Studios.

While in Cambria, you'll find a few wine shops, including Fermentations which has tastings and nice accessory items.

Old May 17th, 2002, 10:49 AM
Lindsey

Well we leave on Sunday. We are staying at Doubletree Fess Parker, thanks to our good frineds at Priceline.com. Considering the price, I probably can't complain

Thanks for the suggestions. Since my wife is into glass, we definitiely will need to stop at New Harmony.

More suggestions are always welcome.

Old May 17th, 2002, 11:12 PM
TGIF

After a hectic work week, I uncorked a bottle of Wild Horse tonight. Best merlot I know for the price. I'd also second the recommendation for Grey Wolf. Not a fancy winery, but some of the best wine I've come across on the central coast.
Meridian is also a popular, more commercialized wine that you may be familiar with.

Harmony is one of my favorite stops while cruising through the central coast. Very unpretentious, but some great art pieces. The handmade ceramic chip and dip plates are always a hit for wedding gifts. And the glass art studio has awesome pieces.