kids welcome at wineries?

Old Apr 18th, 2007, 09:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kids welcome at wineries?

My husband and I and our 4 year old daughter will be driving through the central coast area and would like to stop at some wineries and do a little tasting. We are interested in picking up some bottles to bring back home to Colorado. I have a friend who seems to think that it is inappropriate to bring kids to the wineries, any ideas on this?
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 09:17 PM

While wine snobs will "poo-poo" (no pun) the idea of a 4 year old--unless it high season or a weekend--you'll find most Central Coast wineries will welcome your little one. Ask for corks (two work nicely to keep the hands occupied) or labels. Please tell me you are they type of parents who teach your child about manners (don't run among the glassware or get in the way of the nice people pouring the wine!). Enjoy! BTW--Steamer's of Pismo has a very nice Children's menu to compliment the very nice seafood, steak and pasta adult menu (great view too!)
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 09:19 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
And just what will your daughter be doing while you are (hopefully) listening to the pourer describe the wines, tasting, deciding which to buy? If I was a 4 yo I would be bored spitless standing around while my parents had "adult talk" about wines.

Nothing "inappropriate" (though some tasting rooms do not allow children) but not ANYTHING for your daughter to do while you are tasting. You can't let her run around on her own in the tasting room
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 09:23 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I was posting the same time as TravlMaven. What she says is technically true - but there are some activities that are just not compatible w/ small children.

Now, picnics in the winery grounds - sure. But not a winery drive w/ tastings.
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 09:41 PM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for the input. No, we are not among the new generation of parents who let their children run around footloose and fancy-free in this kind of situation, but I have decided that in order to truly enjoy the experience and get the most out of it we will just have to plan another "kid-free" trip back to the area. Thank again for all of your comments.
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 10:44 AM

I was thinking the same thing - nothing inappropriate about taking a kid to a winery, just the question of what to do with the child during the tastings. I suppose you could each trade off hanging out with the kiddo outside, wandering the grounds or whatever, while the other person tasted.
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 10:53 AM

I can remember those good old days of trying to do adult things with one or more small ones in tow. You could bet money that right in the middle of everything, someone small would want to go potty.

You are smart to think twice about this. Have a good time whenever you do decide to go.
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 11:16 AM
GoTravel

I don't see anything inappropriate about bringing your child however a Napa/Sonoma trip usually is an adults only trip i.e. most parents leave the kids at home.

Old Apr 19th, 2007, 11:21 AM

You might want to stop by Benziger winery. We went there last year, and it was very friendly and unpretentious. I think they'd enjoy having kids visit. We also took a tractor ride through the vineyards -- I think the kids would enjoy something like that.

We also stopped at Buena Vista, and while they may have the best merlot ever, that seemed like the kind of place that WOULD object to tykes running around. Much more uptight there.

Hope that helps!
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 11:37 AM

"I don't see anything inappropriate about bringing your child however a Napa/Sonoma trip usually is an adults only trip i.e. most parents leave the kids at home."

But the fact that it is an adults-only trip FOR EVERYONE ELSE is what makes it inappropriate. People go to wineries for a certain experience (just like they go to a B&Bs), and that experience doesn't include squirming children who are bored out of their minds. While I realize there barriers between the adult and child worlds have gotten lower and lower, I think one should be concerned about the people around them, not just their own enjoyment.
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 11:42 AM

MikeT, I think your response was perfect.
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 12:48 PM

Mike -- I do see your point, however I think there are certain wineries that are more family-friendly in their attitude and atmosphere. Of course, the wineries that appeal to families might not appeal to wine snobs anyway. Someone who's serious about their wine probably wouldn't get a kick out of the tractor ride, and vice versa!
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 02:55 PM

The OP was looking for central coast wineries.
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 06:15 PM

My sister lives in the Southern California wine country (Temecula) We go to visit her every year and always take our 3 children (ages 7, 4 and 1 ) with us and always have. It's not a big deal at most wineries as you get your samples and walk around between the tastings. I usually bring snacks and some simple activities crayons, etc. No one who works in any of the wineries (and we have visited at least 15 different ones and many 7-10 times over the years)has EVER given us any looks or said anything about us having kids there. I say Poo Poo on those who have negative comments. Either they don't have children or they have forgotten how to have a life with children. Most people who are taking their kids to wineries are the type of people who also take their children out for fine dining too. We typically don't go to more than 2 in a day. We don't let our kids run amuck and if someone has inappropriate behavior, one of us is out the door with them. Go, take your well behaved 4 year old and have a great time. She will like it too, as long as you don't do too many in one day. All the drunk whinos will think she is adorable.
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 06:52 PM

As a childless person, I wouldn't think twice about seeing a 4 year old at a winery unless s/he was running amok, crying or the like. So as long as one parent is prepared to whisk the little one away when her patience runs out, I say go taste some wine, rubyselbow. I certainly don't see anything intrinsically inappropriate about it. Enjoy the trip!
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 08:02 PM

Children and wineries do not mix. There have to be SOME places in this overly kid friendly world where there are NO children. Children in fancy restaurants, children in couples types of hotels, etc., but please please please, no children in wineries. Rule of thumb- if they can't drink they can't go.
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 08:16 PM

Wineries are fine with children (there is one in Murphys that actually has toys in a little play area) but they will get bored very quickly. Nothing wrong with stopping at one or two to break up your day, especially if they have a pond with ducks, old farm equipment, etc., but don't try to do an entire day. And switch off outside with your daughter if she starts getting restless.
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 08:19 PM

Can someone explain why it is okay to bring children to wineries? Wine is something enjoyed by adults. Adults go to wineries for pleasure, and mostly, to enjoy themselves. For many people I know, including myself, who enjoy wine and sampling good wines, children would definitely detract from the experience. The appearance of children would for many change the setting and mood.
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 04:14 AM

We go to wine country every year. The majority of wineries are not designed to entertain children in any way. The gift shops have tables of expensive stemware. The tasting counters are chest level for adults. Only a very few wineries make any provisions for them. I think parents who drag kids in there are being very selfish and NOT thinking.
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 04:57 AM

We are talking about 1 4 year old girl, not a classroom of 2 year olds on a field trip. When your kids are used to going to places where there are many adults, they are not typically the crazed maniacs you make them out to be. I don't appreciate going to wineries standing next to a group of drunks who have visited too many wineries, but hey, they have a right to be there too. I'd much prefer to have a well behaved 4 year old next to me, then an obnoxious drunk. Just my opinion as you are intitled to yours

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -