A month in Southern California

Old Oct 6th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A month in Southern California

We are looking to spend about a month (mid Feb-mid Mar 10) somewhere near the beach towns of Carlsbad, Encinitas etc..starting here for suggestions on accomodations. We are an active retired couple from Michigan, who spent 3 month in California last year for medical purposes...found an AZ apt for one month by contacting this forum..now need to start working on California. Any advice would be most appreciated.
Old Oct 6th, 2009, 05:45 PM

Greeting Retired,

I hope on this visit we have a chance to gtg. Can you help me a little more and I am happy to help - what is your budget? That time of the year you should not have an issue getting a place for a month and should be able to negotiate a great rate imo. When you say etc...it gets a little dicey for me - do you mean as far north as San Clemente (Southern Orange County) I would NOT rent a home in Oceanside - too much of a chance of not being in a great area - it is almost block to block there (we looked at a number of properties to purchase in that area for rental purposes) -
I love Encinitas, Solana Beach, Del Mar...
How close to the beach do you want to be? On the west side of the "5" I assume?
Old Oct 6th, 2009, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

Well..I have looked at "corporate" apts and they are out of my range..the places you mention are great..we loved Del Mar...don't need to be on the beach..within walking distance would be great..but not necessary...we have a place in Tucson for a month at 1400..2 bedroom, completely furnished, etc etc...don't want to go over 2000 if possible...is that out of the question? We don't need much..just the two of us..just want CLEAN of course...it's so hard to do this sight unseen..we really didn't have much choice last year..as it was a "must do"...if you would rather communicate via [email protected] yes..a gtg is a definite YES!
Old Oct 6th, 2009, 07:49 PM

I looked on VBRO and the 2,000 is a little low for a beach community 2 bedroom but I did not look that deep. I think you might need to email the owners to see if you can get the month for that rate...I will look some more in the next few days.
Old Oct 7th, 2009, 05:28 AM
Original Poster

We don't need a two bedroom...thanks..If we can't find something there, I will consider the Inland Empire again.
Old Oct 7th, 2009, 06:28 AM

Noooo... you do not need to go as far east at the inland empire! I misunderstood that you wanted 2 bedrooms...
Old Oct 7th, 2009, 06:42 AM

Contact barbara McLain Properties in Carlsbad.1-877-99BEACH or www.barbaramccain They handle the rental on our home and have properties all along the north coast.

(Our place is already rented for the entire off-season (Sept-May) and is used by our family in the summer - so this isn't any advertising for the tyke family)
Old Oct 7th, 2009, 09:37 AM
lvk

If you mean the IE, meaning the Palm Springs area, then I think that you will be pleased with the weather there at that time of year. It definitely will be warmer than the coast.

Sorry I have no specific advice, but I just wanted to chime in that I find the search function on www.homeaway.com much more user-friendly than vrbo. Homeaway, I believe is the parent company of vrbo. They also have some kind of satisfaction guarantee.
Old Oct 7th, 2009, 09:39 AM

I believe she means Corona and surrounding area - not Palm desert - which would be lovely that time of year - I agree!
Old Oct 7th, 2009, 09:53 AM
lvk

I just wanted to clarify because the IE covers a large area, and means different things to different people. My friend lives in La Quinta, and she lists her location on facebook as IE. To some people it can mean the Ontario area (L.A. County), to some Corona (Riverside County) and still others Redlands (San Bernardino County).

To me, I guess it is anything east of the 57 freeway. There are places there I would not mind spending a month, and others where I would not enjoy spending an hour.
Old Oct 7th, 2009, 09:57 AM

ivk - exactly