Yosemite - 4 days itinerary recommendations

Old Sep 16th, 2009, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yosemite - 4 days itinerary recommendations

Hi Everyone

We are in Yosemite right now and will be here through noon Sunday, so yes, my post and questions are a bit late.

First, its three of us: My wife, mom and myself, so maximum 3 mile hikes are all we can do this time.
Also,we're staying in the Pine Mountain Lake community in Groveland, CA

Today will be our first day in the park and we're planning to follow the fodors 3 day itinerary and do what the recommend on day 1:
http://www.fodors.com/world/north-am...ure_30002.html

Can you recommend what we can do on day 2, 3, 4? What are some of the must-see places for great views and nice hikes?

My mom and wife love views while I love photography.

Thanks a lot!
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 10:22 AM

I don't know what the weather is like now, but if you get a nice day I'd drive up to Tuolumne Meadows. Stop on the way at Olmstead Point for wonderful expansive views of Half dome and the southern backcountry of Yosemite. Stop again at the parking area at the west end of Tenaya Lake and take the short walk to the lakeshore for the classic Ansel Adams photograph view down the lake (You may have to cross a small creek to get to the actual spot, but there are nice views all along the shore if you don't want to get to the actual spot.

Continue on to Tuolumne Meadows and you'll find some nice level hikes. A favorite is to follow the Joyn Muir Trail into Lyell Canyon---not a canyon at this point but a broad valley with the river running down the middle. We usually pick up the trail at Tuolumne Lodge---it may be possible to park in their lot but if not the JM Trail parking lot is nearby.

Another great hike for views would be up Pothole Dome, but this may be a bit much for your mom. It is an easy walk up gently sloping granite slabs to the top, with 360 degree views. It is an ascent of several hundred feet, which can be challenging at that altitude, but one at th etop you can ramble as far as you like---no trail, so keep track of where you are and how to get back down. The slope facing the main meadows---the east side of the dome---has the gentlest sloe (we walk up it in sandals). There is a small parking pull-out on the left (north) side of the road as you enter the meadow area. Park there and follow the path--don't cut directly across the meadow. It will take you in a broad arc over to the dome, then along the base to the east end where the slope is more gradual. If your mom doesn't want to walk up to the top (it only takes 10 minutes or so) she should be happy sitting on a boulder and soaking in the views while you and your wife go to the top. You'll be in sight of each other the whole time.

The store and grill at Tuolumne are open through the end of this month so you should be able to buy food, but I'd suggest taking picnic supplies from Groveland instead of counting on what they may have left in Tuolumne at this late date in the season.
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 10:28 AM

You might enjoy the hike to May Lake--

http://www.americansouthwest.net/cal...ake-trail.html

I think experienced hikers would find it to be easy to moderate. I walk but do not often hike on trails or experience elevation gain. My son-in-law recommended this hike and I enjoyed the hike and the spectacular views across to other peaks.

See the link for description and photos.
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 06:45 PM

Spend a day visiting Glacier Point, Wawona, and the Mariposa Grove.

You can get excellent advice at the Visitor Center. The people there actually live in Yosemite and have the most up to date information.
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 07:36 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your responses. I'll run this by my mom and she what she wants to do!
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 07:45 PM

Go to the Ahwahnee hotel since the weather is nice and have drinks on the patio... walk the common areas, view the meadows, soak up the history. The dining rooom is spectacular and the banana splits used to be fantastic... not sure if they still serve those outside or not.
Old Oct 7th, 2009, 09:57 AM

rahulm, tell us about your days in Yosemite. What did you decide to do?
Old Oct 7th, 2009, 10:02 AM

While up in the high country, take the chance to go over Tioga Pass down to Mono Lake (a couple of miles north of the 120/395 junction, at the north end of Lee Vining). If you love photography, Mono Lake is for you, although it would be at it's most spectacular in the early morning or late afternoon sunlight.