Yosemite

Old Mar 5th, 2012, 03:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yosemite

Hi,

I will be coming to Yosemite at the end of August (as part of a road trip in CA) we will be driving from Las Vegas to Yosemite. I have just booked Curry Village for three nights so will be staying two days.

Anyone stayed there ? Is it ok ? I also tried to book the lodge at the falls but that was full so decided on Curry village due to some recommendations on here.

I would like some information on walks/hikes and things to do and see in yosemite in two days.. I will be there with my boyfriend and we are both fit and love the outdoors and walking...
Also can we cook on a fire anywhere near curry village as it says you can't in curry village but seeing as we are practically camping I would like to due some marshmallows ha..

I also have seen that highway 120 is closed due to rockfall??

Thanks Charlotte
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 04:24 AM

You are in for a real treat. Did you get a tent/cabin or a regular cabin? No fires mean no fires, so the marshmallows might be out.

Panaroma Point Trail would be a good one. You will have an option of the Muir Trail or the Mist Trail the last couple of miles-I would choose Mist Trail. To do this trail, you will want to take a shuttle to Glacier Point for the trailhead. You will want to see Glacier Point anyway.

If you have never been to Yosemite or Sequoia, then definately walk thru Maripossa Grove.
Perhaps head up to Tuoluome Meadows and do a hike there.
This is an hour or so from the valley area. Have a meal at Wawonna Lodge while there.

A nice short trek at sunrise is to Mirror Lake-reflection then is really cool.

Sunday Brunch is nice at the Awahnee.

Have a great trip!!!!
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 04:29 AM
Original Poster

Just looking there is Housekeeping camp also is that nicer than Curry village?
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 04:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply I got a canvas tent that was all that was left is that ok?
Oh can we not go and use the fires somewhere else?

thanks i will check out those trails, do we have to get a permit ?
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 05:24 AM

Don't need a permit to "dayhike" any trails in Yosemite-with the exception being Halfdome.

I am not 100% sure, but I think you can have a fire at Housekeeping Camp, but you can't in CV.

They are similar sleeping situations. Either one would be fine. I don't think there is somewhere else in the park you can just build a fire to roast marmallows. Perhaps, a ranger-led evening program might have a fire that people roast marmallows at--not sure.
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 05:56 AM
Original Poster

Have you done the halfdome? Maybe i'll get a permit for that then..
Ha I just wanted the fire to maybe cook on an evening for dinner oh well ..
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 05:56 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
To answer your question about Rt 120. http://www.nps.gov/yose/parknews/bofrdclosed12.htm
You will likely be entering on Route 140 from El Portal.
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 07:39 AM

You should not be attempting Half Dome unless you are in shape and are willing to abort the hike if a storm is in the offing.

The most recent fatality on Half Dome was associated with a summer storm and lightning.
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 07:55 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"Perhaps head up to Tuoluome Meadows and do a hike there."

You won't have to 'head up' to Tuouome Meadows since you will be driving through there on your way into Yosemite from the east. Definitely spend time there before heading on to the Valley

Forget the fires -- especially in August. You won't need/miss a camp fire and the fire danger in the Sierra is likely to be at the highest warning level. Just forget a camp fire . . .

Also -- IMO forget about the Half Dome trek. In August it will be a zoo (even w/ the permits) There are MANY other amazing walks/hikes you can take and not have to walk single file in a loooooooong line of other hikers.

There are also many ranger led interpretive walks offered most days. Usually very informative.

Once you arrive in the Valley and park the car --you won't need to touch it again until you leave the Park. The shuttle buses will get you everywhere and you won't have to deal w/the traffic/parking.
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 08:40 AM

If you did do Half Dome that would take all of your effort and all of your time for the two days you had there. It is an all day event(meaning before sunrise and after sunset-this is a very serious hike). The permits are hard to get anyway.
I wouldn't do it in August, I wouldn't do it on my first trip there, and I wouldn't do it unless I had several days there. The rest of the area is just as spectacular. If it is hot, the shadoe of the Maripossa Grove or the altitude of Tuoluomne Meadows would offer a bit of comfort. Rafting or floating would be an option too.
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 02:44 PM

As suggested - consider a Ranger walk, and/or renting bicycles, etc. So much to see that hoofing it all the way to the top of Half Dome isn't necessary your firs time.

Check out the schedule for the various events when you arrive.

We love staying in Curry Village - and check around with the Rangers as to where you might be able to find a fire pit. I think the people camping along the river may be able to do that - but it's been a while so I can't say for sure.

They have a pretty decent pizza place in Curry Village - and the pool there is also great - as you can look right up the cliffs to Glacier Point.
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 02:50 PM

And there are also buses that take you around the Valley Floor, and you can easily walk along the trial/bikepath past Yosemite Falls. We also love to go out to El Capitan and from the meadow - watch the climbers - and if you have a small pair of binos - it makes it a lot easier.

http://tinyurl.com/7z23v5w
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 03:23 PM

I love the hikes from glacier point to the valley. all downhill and the sights are incredible.you can buy tickets for the shuttle bus when you check in to curry village.as far as going to mariposa grove is concerned be warned that the traffic in and out of the valley can be ugly.
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 03:56 PM

If you can, call Ahwahnee and ask to speak with teh concierge. SHe was incredibly helpful in getting us in for my DH 40th B-Day when bokking was tight. In fact she got us one of eh suites that looks out on teh meadow and it was perfect with all the people that flew in from everywhere...
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 04:18 PM

Personally, I can't stand Curry Village. The tent cabins are jammed so close together it's like what I expect tenement living was like in the early part of the 20th century. There is NO auditory privacy - you hear everything around you, from crying babies, loud children, even just normal conversations. I like tent camping, but found CV to be a very stressful environment in the middle of one of the most beautiful places on earth. I won't stay there again.
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 05:29 PM

Curry Village in the summer is a bit like the barrio.
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 06:17 PM

Have stayed there a number of times and if you try to get a place closer to the rocks - over to the right from the stage area (as you face the cliffs) - you have fewer people around you and it's normally been fairly quiet for us. Wish I could remember the # of our favorite tent, where we stayed several times and had good fortune I guess. Yes, in some of the other areas it can be a bit busy though.

You might also try for one of the wood cabins in Curry Village - but they are usually the first to be rented.
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 07:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
We've stayed in every accommodation in Yosemite from the campsites to the Ahwahnee. Is Curry Village tents better than being outside the Valley? Yes! Is it acceptable. Yes. But probably at the lower end of the places I've enjoyed. One step up from Housekeeping, IMO.
Old Mar 6th, 2012, 11:20 AM

Tomsd mentioned the Pizza. It is very good pizza. Maybe just because we were super hungry. But we were suprised by how good it was.
Old Mar 6th, 2012, 05:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Nah, not because you were super hungry. The pizza is seriously good.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information