A different vacation

Search

A different vacation

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20th, 2016, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A different vacation

Hello my hubby and I live in Hattiesburg, Ms 39402 and we have always, always gone to Pigeon Forge Tn every year. We love it but really, really want something different to do. A few years back we went to Arkansas went to the bath houses and such it was a great experience!!

So this year we want to go else where again. Would like your help we need tips and advise on states. I dunno what to ask cause we know very little about other states. Louisiana is out that's where we go to visit family from the deep south up to the north so we have done a lot there already.

We like outdoor activities, such as historic old buildings, old farmsteads, the great outdoors!! site seeing, shopping. Shopping is ok but its not THE thing! We are just typical older folks that like so explore and see the older country sides.

Our trip is a total of 6 days there and back with about 2,500-3000 to spend.
Thanks a lot!!! Judee
Old Sep 20th, 2016, 07:32 AM

Judee, will you be traveling from home by car, or is flying a possibility?
Old Sep 20th, 2016, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

By truck. Use to have campers but we are so over that.
Old Sep 21st, 2016, 03:19 AM

When I lived in Mississippi, we used to enjoy visiting state parks in Arkansas, especially Queen Wilhelmina and Petit Jean. They have lodges and restaurants like hotels but are affordable.

My SIL likes Eureka Springs up in the NW corner of the state but not on weekends when it is full of day trippers.

Tennessee also has wonderful state parks with beautiful natural features. From Hattiesburg, you could drive north through Tuscumbia, AL, to visit the Helen Keller birthplace, maybe Muscle Shoals and the NASA research center, ending up with a relaxing visit to a Tennessee state park. A couple of them are within day trip distance of Nashville.

Drive home via Tupelo for Elvis and Oxford to see Ole Miss
Old Sep 21st, 2016, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Ackislander very good ideas!!
Old Sep 21st, 2016, 08:18 AM

Have you thought about getting out of the south for something completely different? This may sound dumb, but you could drive up to Illinois/Indiana and meander around Amish country. That would definitely give you some old buildings, farmsteads and country sides.

It looks like the main Amish colonies in Illinois are about a 10 hour drive from Hattiesburg. That means you'd probably take 2 - 2.5 days on just the driving there and back, so you'd have another 3.5 - 4 days to drive around or visit other areas on the way to and from.

You could stop in NE Arkansas or Memphis, on the way back go through Kentucky and head down to Birmingham. It all depends on how much driving you want to do - and what time of year you are doing this trip. I wouldn't do it in winter or too late in fall as the scenery up north would start to look pretty barren once the leaves drop.
Old Sep 21st, 2016, 05:41 PM
Original Poster

MidwestHiker yes that is what I want to do. I share with hubby and see... thanks!!!
Old Sep 21st, 2016, 06:06 PM
Original Poster

Oh bummer I just read the last again. It will be in Nov. or maybe Dec... just can't be helped things are happening and can't be missed.
Old Sep 22nd, 2016, 06:29 PM
Original Poster

Hello just want to thank you all. We may just wait till spring.