Notices

Arkansas State Parks Anybody?

Old Mar 19th, 2009, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arkansas State Parks Anybody?

Hi everyone,

We're trying to figure out where to go for vacation in these hard times. While we consider other international options, we also thought of Arkansas, because we live in Dallas Fort Worth, and because we had a lovely time at Mount Ebo Park a while back.

What state parks can anyone recommend in southern and southwestern AK? We like mountains and woods but all options considered. Cabins or lodge stay fine with us (we're too lazy to camp this time--its vacation.) Good food near by a plus!

Thanks in advance for any advice,

C
Old Mar 19th, 2009, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

Hi I'm back...What the heck, we're open to anything in the western half of the state.

thanks
C
Old Mar 19th, 2009, 05:30 PM

Have you looked at Petit Jean State Park? I haven't been there, but I'm told it's quite beautiful. It's on our list of long weekend trips to take. Maybe a bit far from where you intended, but at least within the state. annie
Old Mar 20th, 2009, 08:49 AM

I'd also second Petit Jean. It's been a few years, but we really enjoyed it and it is in a beautiful part of the state. We stayed in some private cabins just outside the park which included some excellent food and if I can find the name I'll pass it along.

www.petitjeanstatepark.com
Old Mar 20th, 2009, 03:37 PM

How about Queen Wilhelmina State Park? The lodge is beautiful.

http://www.queenwilhelmina.com/lodge/

If you don't mind additional travel time, there are lots of wonderful options in and near Eureka Springs. This is only one example, there are many more

http://www.lakeshorecabins.net/
Old Mar 20th, 2009, 05:34 PM

Petit Jean is voted the best state park in Arkansas year after year. Mt Magazine--another mini mountain a little further along the Arkansas River has a fairly new really nice lodge and cabins.

A little closer to home is Beaver's Bend State Park, just across the border from Arkansas and Texas in SE Oklahoma. It's a beautiful area with a beautiful lake and they have a nice lodge and cabins. If you drive less then an hour north of there you will run into the Talimena Drive, from Talihina, OK to Mena, Arkansas. It's a drive along the top of the mountain range with great views on either side. We live just east of Dallas and go there every so often to get a mountain fix when we can't get to the Rockies.

Eureka Springs is another good option. The huge outdoor drama, The Passion Play is just outside of town, if you are so inclined.
Old Mar 20th, 2009, 06:18 PM

Arkansas has beautiful state parks. Since you're coming from the metroplex, I would suggest making a stop at Crater of Diamonds to dig for diamonds, perhaps go to Historic Washington SP for the history (where the Bowie knife was first made), then to Hot Springs NP to see the bathhouses in downtown Hot Springs, and stay in a cabin at Lake Ouachita SP.

Petit Jean, Mt. Magazine and Queen Wilhelmina are all beautiful parks, but they are all pretty isolated, whereas Lake Ouachita is just 12 miles from Hot Springs, so there are plenty of restaurants and other activities.