Reload this Page >

Best State Fair in America?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 2001, 09:04 AM
Bruce

I love State Fairs! In your travels where are the best State Fairs in the Country. I hear Minnesota may have the best State Fair. Or was it Texas?

What do you think?

Old Aug 24th, 2001, 09:52 AM
Bill

Wisconsin State Fair in Milwaukee (West Allis). Or atleast it was until this year, when they brought back NASCAR racing, which made so much noise, you couldn't even hear the person talking next to you let alone any announcements. & the smell of burning rubber all day was unappetizing, let alone, how it affected parking on those days. Otherwise it is one of the best, for food, animals, music, beer, vendors.
They have national judging of clydesdale, percheron, & belgiun draft horses. & the fair is self-sufficient as far as money goes. They do not use tax money for it.

Old Aug 24th, 2001, 10:29 AM
uiu@

The word "State Fair" is copyrighted in our state. It has been sold a few times over the last decade. Last time for ~200k. The county fair adopts the name State Fair. So there isn't really a true "state sponsored" fair.

I recall 2 State Fairs in Alaska.

I don't have any facts on this for other states, but I suspect that The XXXX State Fair (xxx = your state) is a copyrighted or protected entity. No state sponsored official designation manages all the fairs in the state, and declares one of them to be the State Fair.

Nevertheless, the xxx State Fair may still be considered the "official" fair of the state by most residences, and is often larger than others.

Old Aug 24th, 2001, 10:52 AM
Dave

uiu,

I'm not sure what you're trying to say, but there is a STATE Fair in Indiana, distinct from any country fair. It occurs at the Indiana State Fairgrounds in Indianapolis. The Marion County Fair also takes place in Indianapolis, but at a separate, county, fairground.

Old Aug 24th, 2001, 11:18 AM
Cali

The Minnesota State Fair is the best by far. We have attended many state fairs and we enjoyed them all but the Minnesota State Fair was the best and we have gone back many times. A friend of ours who makes rides and other things for fairs and sells all over the country (and attends all the state fairs) says the Minnesota State Fair is the best in his opinion too. He says it is theby far the best run and has more community involvement. Wish I was there right now!!

Old Aug 24th, 2001, 11:20 AM
Pat Boone

MY State Fair is the best State Fair!

Old Aug 24th, 2001, 11:24 AM
xx

That would be the Iowa state fair, Pat.

Old Aug 24th, 2001, 11:27 AM
Perry Como

Pat Boone-
Please sing us a rock and roll song.
Do you still have that cheesy leather vest, Pat?

Old Aug 24th, 2001, 11:42 AM
Pat Boone

xx: Yes, of course I know it's Iowa. I didn't refer to any other state.

Perry: And,yes, my vest is looking better than ever, thank you...and this one's for you, buddy: "April Love is for the young at heart......"

Old Aug 24th, 2001, 11:45 AM
Blue Boy the HOG

Yes but the original "State Fair" took place in TEXAS.

Old Aug 24th, 2001, 11:46 AM
MinnesotaFats

Another vote for the MN State Fair, I have only been to a few state fairs , but from what I have seen, and from what I have heard, MN tends to score high ont he charts. Don;t forget to try the local favorite food on a stick - "The Pronto Pup". Of course, you can get any kind of fod on a stick at the Fair. The Fair is going on now, so if you're in the neighborhod, swing by. There are shuttel buses located throughoutthe city that provide park-n-ride service to the fair grounds.

Old Aug 24th, 2001, 11:48 AM
Yuck

OOOOOHHHH, goody goody goody - can I get water on a stick???? Please, please, PLEASE, dad? EVERYTHING tastes better on a stick!

Old Aug 24th, 2001, 11:55 AM
Sharon

The Ohio State Fair is great. We raise registered Angus cattle and our son showed in 4-H.

Good food, exhibits, top notch perfomers, all kinds and breeds of farm animals, rides, etc.

Old Aug 24th, 2001, 12:33 PM
Geo

Pat-You must be trippin on Malomars again. The movie you are referring to where "April Love" was sung was filmed at the Sandusky County Fair in Fremont, Ohio. Check the credits.

As to the best state fair--It's the Ohio State Fair in Columbus, Ohio. Where else can you see a cow scultped from butter???

Old Aug 24th, 2001, 12:43 PM
Pat Boone

Geo: Right you are, son! I always confuse those two states - they both begin with a vowel, you know.....or was it Indiana? Ooooohhhh has someone been doing something funny with my milk and oreos?

Old Aug 24th, 2001, 01:27 PM
New Yorker

Q. What has three dirty teddy bears and a tractor that won't start???

A. The New Jersey State Fair

Old Aug 24th, 2001, 05:36 PM
Paul Rabe

There have been three movies titled "State Fair," all based (somewhat) on the novel. The novel, the 1933 version, and the 1945 version all took place in Iowa. The 1962 version (with Pat Boone singing "Our State Fair") took place in Texas. Thus, the original "State Fair" took place in Iowa, but Pat Boone sang in Texas.

If you want to know another place you can see a cow made out of butter, check out
www.thebuttercowlady.com
showing her beautiful creations (including a butter cow) at the Iowa State Fair.

Old Aug 24th, 2001, 07:21 PM
steve

The best State-like fair I've ever been to was actually a county fair. The Los Angeles County Fair. I know what you're thinking (where is the livestock, the 4H, the agricultural exhibits). Believe it or not it's all there and more. Horse racing, livestock auctions, a huge bulilding for crafts, but much more. Photo exhibits that are worth 2-3 hours alone. Home and Garden buildings that go on and on. Great food. Large carnival. Decent weather. Huge wine building. Huge boat and auto displays.
Good entertainment. I love Big Tex and all those farm kids in Minnesota, Wisconsin, etc., but for a good time, I Love LA (really it's in Pomona).

Old Aug 24th, 2001, 08:21 PM
Linda

Texas has a wonderful State Fair. It has the largest collection of Art Deco architecture; the Women's Museum (affiliated with the Smithsonian); the African-American Museum; several other museums & IMAX Theater; cotton bowl for college football; all the livestock events; arts & crafts and cooking competition; Musical; music concerts; lots of exhibits and the best food.

Old Aug 25th, 2001, 04:40 PM
Mary

The Ohio State Fair. I went in 1966 and it was great (saw Bob Hope.) My nephew went this month and said it spoiled him for any other fairs. And we live in Tennessee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -